Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,680 Members 45,324 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[ROM][4.4.4] Paranoid Android FINAL 4.4

Tip us?

xu3sno
Old
Thanks Meter 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovidhalevi View Post
Please, devs, revert, cancel this. And return us to a CWM and TWRP that will work with all the ROMs. Please.
Totally agree!.

rharshit
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by xu3sno View Post
Yep. I think you're right. Thanks for the enlightment.
BTW, androidmeda forked armv6 into ART runtime.
Read this
Now we will get Android-L :P
Quote:
Wow! And no sooo wow--I'm too heavily into Xposed. If I really HAD to go to ART, it would be using Paranoid.

According to what I am reading, it will be impossible to switch between newer CM-11 and anything else because of this business of exchanging the /system and /data partitions. Rob 10 meg from one to give to the other? This is about as worthwhile as removing all the non-English fonts to get a few meg of system space. At least that did not take away from the already over-subscribed /data. One will usually still have to trim the ROMs and the link2sd problem will just be worse. Please, devs, revert, cancel this. And return us to a CWM and TWRP that will work with all the ROMs. Please.
Instead, we can use cache partition. It just goes waste. We can instead push all /system/apps to /cache/apps and bind them. This can be done with the fonts too. This will free up around 30mb of /system. Enough for gapps
Press the THANKS button if I helped
This is not Facebook, Google+ or anything like that. There's no Like or +1 button here.
Only
THANKS button
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rharshit For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

xu3sno
Old
Thanks Meter 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhar**** View Post

Instead, we can use cache partition. It just goes waste. We can instead push all /system/apps to /cache/apps and bind them. This can be done with the fonts too. This will free up around 30mb of /system. Enough for gapps
Or use HardLight method: http://forum.xda-developers.com/opti...s-one-t2828536

I did try it, and sure with Class 10 SDCard, can't feel the speed different between external and internal memory.
The Following User Says Thank You to xu3sno For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Dovidhalevi
Old
Thanks Meter 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhar**** View Post

or ... get the dexopt-dataonly=0 working on the Omega/Omni. This will free a similar amount of space without tricks that often foul up Android.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xu3sno View Post
Or use HardLight method: http://forum.xda-developers.com/opti...s-one-t2828536

I did try it, and sure with Class 10 SDCard, can't feel the speed different between external and internal memory.
I think once one is on an 0SD ROM, one must stay with that. This solution, of course, requires a larger sdcard to accomodata everything from nand. Still prefer work-arounds that are less ambitious. Android is still a bit of a mess compared to purer Linux distros.

toughtiger
Old
(Last edited by toughtiger; 29th July 2014 at 02:19 AM.)
Thanks Meter 228

DONATE TO ME
Superb Work. You are awesome. You gave a new life to my Optimus one.
Press Thanks button if I helped you.
The Following User Says Thank You to toughtiger For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

shubham.16
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default GAPPs force closing

Which GAPPS to use.. All those which i flashed aren't working.. plz provide a link to GAPPs lite

xu3sno
Old
Thanks Meter 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by shubham.16 View Post
Which GAPPS to use.. All those which i flashed aren't working.. plz provide a link to GAPPs lite
http://www.mediafire.com/download/2p...GAPPSlight.zip

You must have at least ca. 15 MB left in /system partition. Trim the rom first.
The Following User Says Thank You to xu3sno For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bigsupersquid
Old
(Last edited by bigsupersquid; 18th August 2014 at 01:57 PM.)
Thanks Meter 292

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
or ... get the dexopt-dataonly=0 working on the Omega/Omni. This will free a similar amount of space without tricks that often foul up Android.

I think once one is on an 0SD ROM, one must stay with that. This solution, of course, requires a larger sdcard to accomodata everything from nand. Still prefer work-arounds that are less ambitious. Android is still a bit of a mess compared to purer Linux distros.
You can have a regular ROM installed in your internal partitions, and just restore internal or OS2SD boot.img in recovery to switch between the OS2SD and regular versions.

Using OS2SD doesn't break anything on regular internal ROM installs except you have to share sdcard partition 2 between /sd-ext and OS2SD /system. There should be room enough for both to coexist on a 4GB or larger card.

The mtd partition swap definitely breaks backwards compatibility.
Quote:
According to what I am reading, it will be impossible to switch between newer CM-11 and anything else because of this business of exchanging the /system and /data partitions. Rob 10 meg from one to give to the other? This is about as worthwhile as removing all the non-English fonts to get a few meg of system space. At least that did not take away from the already over-subscribed /data. One will usually still have to trim the ROMs and the link2sd problem will just be worse. Please, devs, revert, cancel this. And return us to a CWM and TWRP that will work with all the ROMs. Please.
I can modify my new twrp-multi that handles both internal and OS2SD roms to handle ROMs with swapped or unswapped internal partitions too, once I have my o1 in hand. HardLight told me the one I cobbled together for o1 isn't crashing yet, so it should be feasible to fix it up some more.

the new kernel is the only affected thing on the mtd swap. The partitions remain untouched, the kernel switches their names on boot.
Since the recovery has that kernel, it writes old roms to the wrong partitions for their kernel... thus the recovery issue.

I will eventually offer a fix for the swapped system/data between in-recovery switches for old/new mtd partition names, and a flashable kernel without the partition swap. not until I can test em though.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigsupersquid For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Dovidhalevi
Old
Thanks Meter 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsupersquid View Post
You can have a regular ROM installed in your internal partitions, and just restore internal or OS2SD boot.img in recovery to switch between the OS2SD and regular versions.

Using OS2SD doesn't break anything on regular internal ROM installs except you have to share sdcard partition 2 between /sd-ext and OS2SD /system. There should be room enough for both to coexist on a 4GB or larger card.
So this could actually be a multiboot system. Next step?

Quote:
The mtd partition swap definitely breaks backwards compatibility.
Main reason why it is not such a wonderful idea. Too little is gained by creating this mess.
Quote:
I can modify my new twrp-multi that handles both internal and OS2SD roms to handle ROMs with swapped or unswapped internal partitions too, once I have my o1 in hand. HardLight told me the one I cobbled together for o1 isn't crashing yet, so it should be feasible to fix it up some more.

the new kernel is the only affected thing on the mtd swap. The partitions remain untouched, the kernel switches their names on boot.
Since the recovery has that kernel, it writes old roms to the wrong partitions for their kernel... thus the recovery issue.

I will eventually offer a fix for the swapped system/data between in-recovery switches for old/new mtd partition names, and a flashable kernel without the partition swap. not until I can test em though.
So ... looking forward. I have never left CWM, but this might be the incentive.

bigsupersquid
Old
Thanks Meter 292

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
So this could actually be a multiboot system. Next step?
needs kexec to really do that right. I detest reflashing partitions for 'multiboot', rewriting nand isn't really multibooting.
I haven't gotten kexec functional in my past experiments but will eventually play with it some more.
Quote:
So ... looking forward. I have never left CWM, but this might be the incentive.
I haven't had any experience modding cwm and would have to pick apart philz to see how to do it. I started with a modified twrp and changing it to my specifications taught me much.

twrp certainly seems glitchier than cwm while running but has some versatility that makes me prefer it (file manager, terminal.)

The Following User Says Thank You to bigsupersquid For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
aospa 4+, kitkat, lg p500, optimus one, paranoid android 4 rc2