Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,670 Members 44,283 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Low microphone volume

Tip us?

Spiricore
Old
(Last edited by Spiricore; 18th August 2014 at 11:27 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 128
Default [Q] Low microphone volume

So after about an hour and a half of searching XDA and Google I have yet to find a resolution that doesn't involve me opening up my phone and cutting the rubber around my microphone. Allow me to explain.

Since I can remember - I got my S4 in December of last year - I've had problems with people hearing me, low record volumes and so on. I rooted and modded my phone almost immediately after receiving it and never really had the chance to test on stock TW, but this problem has persisted at *least* since I switched to KitKat about 2 months before it was pushed OTA via Carbon, Pac ROM, and Vanir. I have made it a regular habit of removing any DSP/preinstalled audio software and using Viper4A, but I was hoping to get some sort of lead before I flashed again, revert to stock TW, or took apart my phone. EDIT: I still have the exact same issue without V4A installed and using stock DSP/settings.

This problem was reported fairly commonly with the SII and the Nexus 4, but the methods I have tried to solve the situation (*#*#197328640#*#*; Trickster Mod, no physical blockage, mixer_paths.xml does not exist...) have yielded no results. I tested with TeamSpeak and Zello's outbound transmit volume and there's a dramatic difference, but how to adjust this on a system-wide level still eludes me. Google Now, Sound Recorder, SoundHound and other apps have difficulty with any sort of recognition even in ideal settings (eg. quiet environments). I had to virtually yell to set up Google Now's "Ok, Google" system-wide feature requiring me to hold the device at arm's length.

I'm posting because I haven't seen any issues of this nature reported for the S4. Could anyone point me in the right direction? Kernel tweaks? File modification I'm missing? Anything?
Spiricore's Super Safe Root-To-ROM Guide
for Sprint's Samsung Galaxy S4 (SPH-L720/jfltespr)
Baseband: NAE Recovery: Philz 6.48.4
ROM: Carbon ROM Nightlies
GApps: Paranoid Android 0-Day
Mods: Xposed Lux Viper4AndroidFX 2.3.3.0 Mother of All Ad Blocking

Tech Support Writer Designer Photographer Supreme Perfectionist Editor Extraordinaire

Spiricore
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 128
Bump. I still have not been able to find a resolution to this issue.
Spiricore's Super Safe Root-To-ROM Guide
for Sprint's Samsung Galaxy S4 (SPH-L720/jfltespr)
Baseband: NAE Recovery: Philz 6.48.4
ROM: Carbon ROM Nightlies
GApps: Paranoid Android 0-Day
Mods: Xposed Lux Viper4AndroidFX 2.3.3.0 Mother of All Ad Blocking

Tech Support Writer Designer Photographer Supreme Perfectionist Editor Extraordinaire