Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,490 Members 51,772 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[TUT][ROOT] AT&T Wifi-Tethering Provision Bypass

Tip us?

dparton
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekboy View Post
Tried this, when I attempt to activate the HotSpot it says "Unfortunately, Settings has stopped."

After following the updated instructions, my hotspot appears to be working. Thank you!
I have followed the instructions and I am getting the same error. "Unfortunately, Settings has stopped." What updated settings are you referring to? How can I fix this?

SwingBlade
Old
(Last edited by SwingBlade; 7th August 2014 at 05:06 PM.)
Thanks Meter 6
Hey folks, I just wanted to warn that AT&T might still 'catch' you for using tethering without a plan. I used a similar method via the X-Tether Xposed app, and after some heavy usage I got an email, text, and letter in the mail from AT&T letting me know that my plan didn't have tethering (grandfathered unlimited plan) and that if I continued to use tethering, they would adjust my data plan accordingly. They were kind enough to give me a warning before shutting me down, but please be aware. I also had KNOX disabled as best I could find to do so using Titanium, and still got the alert. I used the native Wifi Tether app.

EDIT: This was a situation unique to having the S5. I previously used the popular Wifi Tether Router app on my Skyrocket, and previous phones, for about three years prior to getting my S5 without any notification from AT&T.

Sheon849
Old
Thanks Meter 26
This works awesome but when installing this on my phone after installing the framework my phone so super slow..... after i Uninstall the framework everything is back to normal but hotspot wont work.

diego97yey
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default helppp...

Can someone supply me the tethering provision files for the S4 active Att. I renamed them both bak and well one got deleted now im pretty much stuck. Thanks and cheers

ManniPanni
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheon849 View Post
This works awesome but when installing this on my phone after installing the framework my phone so super slow..... after i Uninstall the framework everything is back to normal but hotspot wont work.
Some people have been experiancing extreme lag with Xposed on the s5.
However, a fix has been posted here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2784945

Quote:
Originally Posted by diego97yey View Post
Can someone supply me the tethering provision files for the S4 active Att. I renamed them both bak and well one got deleted now im pretty much stuck. Thanks and cheers
Check out the post on page 3 of this thread. shortydoggg was kind enough to share the files in his post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparton View Post
I have followed the instructions and I am getting the same error. "Unfortunately, Settings has stopped." What updated settings are you referring to? How can I fix this?
Start from the beginning and try again, this error usually occurs when you fail either the Xposed install or X Tether module install.

cstayton
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2475

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwingBlade View Post
Hey folks, I just wanted to warn that AT&T might still 'catch' you for using tethering without a plan. I used a similar method via the X-Tether Xposed app, and after some heavy usage I got an email, text, and letter in the mail from AT&T letting me know that my plan didn't have tethering (grandfathered unlimited plan) and that if I continued to use tethering, they would adjust my data plan accordingly. They were kind enough to give me a warning before shutting me down, but please be aware. I also had KNOX disabled as best I could find to do so using Titanium, and still got the alert. I used the native Wifi Tether app.

EDIT: This was a situation unique to having the S5. I previously used the popular Wifi Tether Router app on my Skyrocket, and previous phones, for about three years prior to getting my S5 without any notification from AT&T.
what this amounts to is a fishing expedition, they are seeing a high amount of bandwidth use that they are relating to tethering. technically they have no way to descern tethering from high bandwidth streaming. i generally stream netfix, pandora and crackle throughout the month exceeding my data plan nearly every month and have recieved the same letters and texts. even though i actually have a tethering plan.

Devices:
HTC One X+ Retired
Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900A Root KoolKit ROM
Samsung Galaxy Tab3 7" JB4.2.2 SM-T217A Rooted S5 Tweaked

If you think my work is worthwhile feel free to donate
by clicking on the "Donate to me" button.
Thank you for your support.