Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,779,457 Members 51,625 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Linux] [IMG] [Dev] [WIP] *Ubuntu images for Rootbind [TF101 / TF101G]

Tip us?

The-Undertaker
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrohwer View Post
Again you shouldn't be doing that! Your dpkg database will be overwritten by the image you extracted last and will not accurately reflect the packages installed on your system. Things may work but no guarantee on how long they will continute to work. If you want KDE apps in lubuntu, better install them afterwards with apt-get or using the package manager.

No, you need packages that are ported to the armhf architecture. So you are limited to what is available on the ports.ubuntu.com repository.

Lubuntu? Can't help, haven't used it. In kubuntu it should work under systemsettings, but I haven't tried (just using the default US english layout myself.

For flash support you can install gnash or lightspark, but it is not perfect. There is no native flash support from Adobe for linux on armhf.
wich is at the moment the best performant image?

as you can see

Quote:
- after image expanded i've been installing modules 3.1.10-9
- reboot into twrp recovery
- flashing kernel 3.1.10-9
- reboot

but it stops loading at rows

Code:
tegra_idle_enter
cpuidle_idle_call
cpu_idle
i've already had a try with kubuntu image without any luck. could it be for the old modules/kernel?

do you think kubuntu could be more performant than lubuntu?

if i want to have a try again with kubuntu again, how to delete the whole system directory (by android terminal emulator) and make a clean installation? could it be
Code:
sudo rm -F /data/linuxroot
?

maksvlad
Old
(Last edited by maksvlad; 16th August 2014 at 08:32 AM.)
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
All things may work fine but you won't have hardware accelleration. It can't because trusty is XABI-15 and the highest version of the drivers released by Nvidia is XABI-14 (which is in saucy). However, these are broken and the latest ones that really work are XABI-13 (which is in raring).

Hint:
Code:
es2gears
es2_info
Do you think I would have spent more than a week trying to figure this out with all the pinning preferences etc., if it would work on saucy?

Of course it all depends what you want. If you don't need hw acceleration then by all means go ahead. However, in my opinion the graphics performance is really crappy (e.g. even scrolling through a document or in your browser).

Trust me, lots of people have spent lots of time on this. Read this thread:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2419974
I checked the configuration. All works but with raring and saucy. I didn't change conf in apt/preferences. Old packages were not changed during upgrade. I was wrong thinking that all packages were upgraded to trusty. I think it's better don't change anything in xorg. Before rootbind I used tubuntu without hw acceleration. Difference in performance is significant. You have done great work.

---------- Post added at 03:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:12 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Undertaker View Post
wich is at the moment the best performant image?

as you can see

i've already had a try with kubuntu image without any luck. could it be for the old modules/kernel?

do you think kubuntu could be more performant than lubuntu?

if i want to have a try again with kubuntu again, how to delete the whole system directory (by android terminal emulator) and make a clean installation? could it be
Code:
sudo rm -F /data/linuxroot
?
Kubuntu isn't performant then lubuntu, becouse KDE is heavier then lxde. KDE distros usualy take more 350 MB (for 32 bit system) memory on start. LXDE takes about 180 MB.
Even KDE my favorite DE, for tf101 I would recomended lxde (lubuntu) as the lightest img, then xfce (xubuntu, now my default DE for tf101) and then (if you can't use other DE for some reasons) kde (kubuntu).
When I tested images I moved folders after booting Android, so I was able return to any used (configured) img later quickly
Ex:
Code:
mv /data/linuxroot /data/linuxroot_lubuntu
mv /data/linuxroot_kubuntu /data/linuxroot
In this case I mean that kubuntu img was prepared (extracted) as described in the guide
The Following User Says Thank You to maksvlad For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jrohwer
Old
Thanks Meter 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksvlad View Post
I checked the configuration. All works but with raring and saucy. I didn't change conf in apt/preferences. Old packages were not changed during upgrade. I was wrong thinking that all packages were upgraded to trusty. I think it's better don't change anything in xorg. Before rootbind I used tubuntu without hw acceleration. Difference in performance is significant. You have done great work.
Yes, the update will work fine and it will update all the packages except those that are pinned in /etc/apt/preferences.d/.

As long as you don't change anything in /etc/apt/sources.list or /etc/apt/preferences.d/ then it should be fine and automatic upgrades should work.
Want to run Ubuntu linux on your TF101 from native EMMC without repartitioning?
Use rootbind! - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2347581
The Following User Says Thank You to jrohwer For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

zachf714
Old
Thanks Meter 985
Quote:
Yes, the update will work fine and it will update all the packages except those that are pinned in /etc/apt/preferences.d/.

As long as you don't change anything in /etc/apt/sources.list or /etc/apt/preferences.d/ then it should be fine and automatic upgrades should work.
Definitely don't change the sources for raring. I commented the raring lines on my first install and my video abi updated to 15; it took my a good 2 hours to think, to install aptitude and grep the video abi

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
OMNI-ROM Co-Maintainer for TF-101

Verizon Samsung Galaxy SIII Unlocked Bootloader Running my CM-11.0 Custom Builds

Droid Incredible AMOLED Unlocked Bootloader S-OFF Running My CM-11.0 Builds

Asus Transformer B60 with B80 Dock Running Omni 4.4

maksvlad
Old
(Last edited by maksvlad; 19th August 2014 at 06:20 AM.)
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:

I think, this must be added as warning on the top of the first post

jrohwer
Old
Thanks Meter 253
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by maksvlad View Post
I think, this must be added as warning on the top of the first post
@DjDill I agree can you add this to OP?
Want to run Ubuntu linux on your TF101 from native EMMC without repartitioning?
Use rootbind! - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2347581
The Following User Says Thank You to jrohwer For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]