[Q] Recover or fix build.prop

OP greenmaze

26th May 2014, 05:03 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 4

38 posts
I messed up my build.prop and now my tablet (10.1) won't boot. Is there any way to fix build.prop in download or recovery mode?

Using the "apply update from ADB" option in recovery doesn't seem to permit normal adb commands like pull and push.
26th May 2014, 05:57 PM   |  #2  
Flag new delhi
Thanks Meter: 15

87 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmaze

I messed up my build.prop and now my tablet (10.1) won't boot. Is there any way to fix build.prop in download or recovery mode?

Using the "apply update from ADB" option in recovery doesn't seem to permit normal adb commands like pull and push.

first you need same build.prop from same device. ask your friend use xda.
ask them to give you build.prop

after getting build.prop
use adb delete your first build.prop
and then push your build.prop(which you got from your friend)
to /system/

just press me thank if i helped you
26th May 2014, 06:08 PM   |  #3  
Flag Jammu
Thanks Meter: 61

192 posts
More
Quote:

Whenever you mess up with system files like build.prop, a backup of that file is automatically created in the same location with .bak extension. So if you want you can use aroma file manager to find that file and rename it to build.prop, set permissions and that's it !
26th May 2014, 07:06 PM   |  #4  
OP Member

38 posts
Thanks for the help. The problem is that I can't get any adb commands to work (i.e. push or pull) in recovery mode. The devices command lists the tablet with the name "sideload". Am I doing something wrong?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
26th May 2014, 10:56 PM   |  #5  
OP Member

38 posts
To elaborate a little more, whenever I try an adb command I get the following message:

Code:
error: closed
Is there another way to get the tablet into a mode where it will accept adb commands?
27th May 2014, 01:01 AM   |  #6  
OP Member

38 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiLP

... So if you want you can use aroma file manager to find that file and rename it to build.prop, set permissions and that's it !

I wasn't sure what Aroma Filemanager was so I looked it up. Unfortunantly I'm unable to get Aroma Filemanager to work. I downloaded the zip to a SD card, booted into recovery, selected "apply update from ADB" and then selected the Aroma zip file. Some messages scroll on the screen and then tablet reboots. If I try sideloading the Aroma zip I get this output:

Code:
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E: footer is wrong
E: signature verification failed
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E: footer is wrong
E: signature verification failed
Installation aborted.
27th May 2014, 02:49 AM   |  #7  
OP Member

38 posts
Fixed it
I finally fixed my problem. I pieced together information from various posts to get me there. In case someone else runs into a similar issue, here's what I had to do:
  • Install TWRP via Odin. You won't find a TWRP for 10.1 WiFi model (SM-T520) on the TWRP website. I found a link in another thread for TWRP that works: http://goo.im/devs/OpenRecovery/picassowifi
  • Boot into recovery and copy /system/build.prop to an SD card.
  • Fix* the build.prop issue on a PC (or anything else than can edit the file on the SD card)
  • Back in TWRP, copy the build.prop file from the SD card over the /system/build.prop file.

* I'm not even sure my build.prop file was messed up. I performed the steps above and still the tablet wouldn't boot. Remembering that I had changed the permissions on the build.prop file (back when my tablet was still working), I went back into TWRP and changed the build.prop file permissions back to 744. After rebooting my tablet powered up normally. So after all of this it might have just been that the file permissions on build.prop were wrong -- I'm surprised this would prevent the tablet from booting... but what do I know.
The Following User Says Thank You to greenmaze For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th August 2014, 01:49 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 10

83 posts
Quote:

I finally fixed my problem. I pieced together information from various posts to get me there. In case someone else runs into a similar issue, here's what I had to do:

• Install TWRP via Odin. You won't find a TWRP for 10.1 WiFi model (SM-T520) on the TWRP website. I found a link in another thread for TWRP that works: http://goo.im/devs/OpenRecovery/picassowifi
  • Boot into recovery and copy /system/build.prop to an SD card.
  • Fix* the build.prop issue on a PC (or anything else than can edit the file on the SD card)
  • Back in TWRP, copy the build.prop file from the SD card over the /system/build.prop file.

* I'm not even sure my build.prop file was messed up. I performed the steps above and still the tablet wouldn't boot. Remembering that I had changed the permissions on the build.prop file (back when my tablet was still working), I went back into TWRP and changed the build.prop file permissions back to 744. After rebooting my tablet powered up normally. So after all of this it might have just been that the file permissions on build.prop were wrong -- I'm surprised this would prevent the tablet from booting... but what do I know.

Can't access SD here, when mounting in CWM it mounts as a CD Rom and can't access it, never seen this...
19th August 2014, 03:23 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 5

17 posts
I always recommend to flash the whole rom using odin if you don't have a custom recovery

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread