Sharp Aquos Zeta SH-04F IGZO [Official Thread]

Search This thread

sev7en

Jul 10, 2006
www.fabriziodegni.com
Xiaomi Mi MIX 4
So it's been a week since i received mine and all i can say is I FREAKING LOVE IT, but like every man-made thing it's far from perfect:

-It comes with a ridiculous amount of bloatware.

-A great phone with a hideous UI and unnecessarily low DPI, just like my "old" G2. And since there's still no development on this phone (at least for now) it's impossible to fix it.

-It's not possible to get OTA's without a docomo sim card.

And btw, i got these screen protectors from ebay http://www.ebay.nl/itm/3-Quality-LC...een_Protectors&var&hash=item3ce42caeda&_uhb=1 and they're pretty good, i'll just leave the link in case there's anyone interested :good::good:
Unfortunately... I have to agree, it is a great phone but outside the Docomo network, really with heavy handicap. Anyway as good, it's a very safe and trustable device for all his internal blocks.

evilruck

Nov 12, 2010
Alicante
Unfortunately... I have to agree, it is a great phone but outside the Docomo network, really with heavy handicap. Anyway as good, it's a very safe and trustable device for all his internal blocks.

Yeah and have you noticed the insane battery life? Only that makes it totally worth the money :victory::victory:

And btw has anyone done a factory reset? Because i did it and for some reason i lost the fancy lockscreen and got the stock one :confused::confused:

xxxrichievxxx

Jul 10, 2010
Notting Hill, London
www.facebook.com
Yeah and have you noticed the insane battery life? Only that makes it totally worth the money :victory::victory:

And btw has anyone done a factory reset? Because i did it and for some reason i lost the fancy lockscreen and got the stock one :confused::confused:
Tbh the battery is the same as if I was on my LG G2 it's not really that much of a difference. At least with my LG G2 I was at 100% battery life for at least an hour. When I'm at 100% on the SH-04F and I open a text I'm at 99% in a minute.

As for the lockscreen, I too did a factory reset and I got the default lockscreen. I had to change to the Feel UX in batch change lockscreen under Home Applications

No it does not.

For every Sharp phone, there is a system level lock called "Miyabi Lock".
Without removing this lock there is no way to write into the /system folder.
(If there is no such a lock, I believe the towelroot should work!)

Hope someone can root this phone soon!
This is the best Sharp phone I have used so far.

Reactions: Seyren Windsor

DenisJ

May 19, 2003
Dial Up assistant

Hi there all,
anybody can help me to turn off the dial up assistant please ?
Thanks a lot
Denis

xxxrichievxxx

Jul 10, 2010
Notting Hill, London
www.facebook.com
Hmm for some reason an antivirus says that the phone has a security vulnerability for towel root? Has anyone actually tried towel root?

8enegy4u.jpg

PhaseOfFact

Nov 2, 2011
Been a while since I've posted in this forum, but I'm planning to buy a new smartphone in a month or so.
*I will likely be using this phone in Japan with Docomo.

I'm currently debating between the AQUOS ZETA and Xperia Z2, leaning towards the ZETA.
Here are my reasons for leaning towards the ZETA:
  • Better battery, bigger screen, a bit lighter
  • Antenna for TV isn't separate
  • Orange and white versions are matte so less of a fingerprint magnet (would like impressions on this if possible)
  • Camera functions (such as the framing adviser and photo sphere) are neat
  • Doesn't get as heated (?)
  • Has infrared connectivity
  • Grip Magic and One-Hand assist seem neat
  • Personally like the EDGEST design over the Z2

Reasons why I'm still debating:
  • ZETA (well, Sharp for that matter) still uses the "glass safety film"
  • Z2 has 3GB RAM while ZETA only has 2GB, dunno if it will impact me too much though
  • I heard that one of the reasons why the ZETA has longer battery life is because it clocks down its processor and graphics
  • Z2 is root-able while the ZETA isn't (I may want to root/flash in the future)

Is there anything I'm missing? I know posts will likely be biased since this is in the ZETA thread, but I'd just like some input from experienced owners. Thanks for any input~

Last edited:

xxxrichievxxx

Jul 10, 2010
Notting Hill, London
www.facebook.com
Been a while since I've posted in this forum, but I'm planning to buy a new smartphone in a month or so.
*I will likely be using this phone in Japan with Docomo.

I'm currently debating between the AQUOS ZETA and Xperia Z2, leaning towards the ZETA.
Here are my reasons for leaning towards the ZETA:
  • Better battery, bigger screen, a bit lighter
  • Antenna for TV isn't separate
  • Orange and white versions are matte so less of a fingerprint magnet (would like impressions on this if possible)
  • Camera functions (such as the framing adviser and photo sphere) are neat
  • Doesn't get as heated (?)
  • Has infrared connectivity
  • Grip Magic and One-Hand assist seem neat
  • Personally like the EDGEST design over the Z2

Reasons why I'm still debating:
  • ZETA (well, Sharp for that matter) still uses the "glass safety film"
  • Z2 has 3GB RAM while ZETA only has 2GB, dunno if it will impact me too much though
  • I heard that one of the reasons why the ZETA has longer battery life is because it clocks down its processor and graphics
  • Z2 is root-able while the ZETA isn't (I may want to root/flash in the future)

Is there anything I'm missing? I know posts will likely be biased since this is in the ZETA thread, but I'd just like some input from experienced owners. Thanks for any input~

Hello there! :D

This thread seems to be dead most of the time. To be honest, I love this phone. It's a great phone even with even with only 2 GB of ram. I've had the phone tune itself down because the phone detected some abnormal temperatures (although the phone did not feel warm at all)

As for root, there is currently NO root for this phone. I have contacted a fellow xda user that has an LG G2 Japanese variant of the phone I used to have to see if he has heard anything on that side of the ocean about root.

I have tried Towelroot, it says I should have root access but when I check with a root checker I don't seem to have root

yruqapub.jpg

But I heard that rooting a Japanese phone is a bit more complicated because there is another lock on top of whatever lock the phone has to disable root access. I think this 2nd lock is called "Miyabi"

Last edited:
Reactions: toguchisan

PhaseOfFact

Nov 2, 2011
Hello there! :D

This thread seems to be dead most of the time. To be honest, I love this phone. It's a great phone even with even with only 2 GB of ram. I've had the phone tune itself down because the phone detected some abnormal temperatures (although the phone did not feel warm at all)

As for root, there is currently NO root for this phone. I have contacted a fellow xda user that has an LG G2 Japanese variant of the phone I used to have to see if he has heard anything on that side of the ocean about root.

I have tried Towelroot, it says I should have root access but when I check with a root checker I don't seem to have root

But I heard that rooting a Japanese phone is a bit more complicated because there is another lock on top of whatever lock the phone has to disable root access. I think this 2nd lock is called "Miyabi"

Hello~
Yea, don't really blame it since the SH-04F isn't something you'll find in the AT&T store or any retail store haha
I did read about the phone dimming the screen when it reaches a certain temperature, but I'm not too worried about that since it applies to most smartphones. I was just surprised when I read reviews that the phone doesn't reach it's potential because it automatically clocks itself down all the time to save battery (and that you can't control this feature).

I used to root, flash, and customize my phone and all, but dunno if I would go too deep now since there are many useful theme-ing apps that don't require root (I was just looking at Themer, looks pretty neat). If rooting would give access to a major feature though, I may want to root (heard that airplane mode and SD card access are restricted somehow).

Yep, read about the Miyabi LSM lock in this thread. Seems like it's mainly found in SHARP phones, hopefully someone finds a way around it =/

Last edited:
Reactions: toguchisan

PhaseOfFact

Nov 2, 2011
Hm, I may have to rethink which phone to get. It seems like many docomo stores are out of stock, and even the online shop states that I'd have to wait on order cancellations...
I know there are other sites (such as the ones everyone is using in this thread) but I probably need to buy the phone at a docomo shop =/

If the SH-04F is available in store, I'd definitely go for it (first pick orange, then white, black) but if it's out of stock, I'm looking towards the ARROWS NX F-05F.

Last edited:

Vaga Liki

Jun 27, 2013
Hey so are you actually connecting to At&t LTE? I am seriously thinking about buying a Sharp Phone from Japan, but the one major thing that is stopping me is I don't want to lose LTE that I've gotten used to that I've had since my LG Optimus G.

And has anyone tried the unlock mentioned in "Unlock all bands of your Qualcomm device! Use your phone globally! No bs!"?

Not too sure what I did to get the H to show but here is exactly what my steps were.

One thing that I did was get a new sim card from AT&T. I took in my LG G2 and got a new sim card. Used data for a bit talked on the phone and then threw in the sim card into my SH-04F after that I had signal no data, so I went and added the APN for AT&T LTE, selected the APN rebooted my phone and then the H appeared!

I post some screen shots to show you what I have and how I have it configured

The only weird thing that happens to me is when I reboot my phone, my signal goes in and out. It'll say "AT&T" and then "No service" with a little x over the signal bars. I have to make a call or two and then the signal sticks to AT&T. Does this happen to anyone else?

Last edited:

Vaga Liki

Jun 27, 2013
Apparently, this phone can be rooted because the phone has had its radio bands unlocked through a procedure that requires a rooted device.

On Kyoex, it says that you can disable Sharp's Feel UX for a stock android look. Has anyone tried that?

Also, can anyone provide some camera samples in diverse lighting/framing conditions?

Thanks!

xxxrichievxxx

Jul 10, 2010
Notting Hill, London
www.facebook.com
Apparently, this phone can be rooted because the phone has had its radio bands unlocked through a procedure that requires a rooted device.

On Kyoex, it says that you can disable Sharp's Feel UX for a stock android look. Has anyone tried that?

Also, can anyone provide some camera samples in diverse lighting/framing conditions?

Thanks!

Where did you hear about the phone being able to be unlocked? I swear I'd be the happiest person ever!!!!!! I have to change the dpi on this phone because it's way too big on this phone!!

You can disable the Sharp Feel UX but it still looks not like stock, I had to download nova and I was able to change the dpi!

ill see if I can get you some pictures off of work later I will post back!

Hey so are you actually connecting to At&t LTE? I am seriously thinking about buying a Sharp Phone from Japan, but the one major thing that is stopping me is I don't want to lose LTE that I've gotten used to that I've had since my LG Optimus G.

And has anyone tried the unlock mentioned in "Unlock all bands of your Qualcomm device! Use your phone globally! No bs!"?

Unfortunately I'm not able to connect to AT&T's 4G LTE network I'm currently only on HSPA (H). When I had my LG G2 before buying this phone I was getting 4G LTE everywhere. I've gotten used to 4G LTE but not I'm fine with H I feel like it's faster than LTE that was in my area haha

To be honest if we are able to unlock all bands, I'd be the happiest person ever?

Sent from my SH-04F using Tapatalk

galaxyst

Oct 13, 2010
A little question for device owners, please, tell me is there any possibility to automatically hide and make transparent screen navigation buttons?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Dear All,
    at the end... I did it! Sharp Aquos Zeta SH-04F IGZO.

3vyePFl.jpg

It's the new docomo flagship smartphone for 2014, made by SHARP for the Japan market but available as un-locked device. It is simply... stunning.

sh-04f47.jpg

Here's the full list of its features:
    - Docomo Sharp SH-04F Aquos IGZO Edgest Japanese Smartphone (Orange Color)
    - This is the New Flagship Sharp Android Smartphone !
    - Just released in Japan for the Summer 2014 Lineup
    - Snapdragon 2.3ghz Quad-Core + 2GB Ram + Android 4.4.2 KitKat Smartphone
    - Featuring the Edgest + IGZO Display.
    - The Edgest design, uses 81% of the phone's surface, bringing the screen to the edges of the bezel
    - This allows for the phone to have a large 5.4 Inch size, but keeps the phone relatively compact.
    - The IGZO display allows the phone to consume very little power but still give a Full HD resolution
    - Pre-installed with Sharp's upgraded Gripe Magic FEEL UX (See video)
    - You can use the Traditional Android UI or try out the new Sharp FEEL UX
    - Gripe Magic allows you to gripe the sides of the phone to turn on the screen, or change volume, etc
    - All New Sharp IGZO Edgest Full HD screen for Amazing resolution + Very Long Battery life
    - Sharp IGZO Edgets Display conserves battery to allow upwards of 3 days of use on 1 full charge !
    - Main Display : 5.4 Inch Full HD Touchscreen ( 1080 x 1920 pixels ! )
    - Full 4K2K HD video Recording (3840 × 2160 video recording size. 4K2K video recording capable)
    - 13.1 Megapixel HD Camera (3840 × 2160 pixels max picture taking resolution)
    - 2.1 Megapixel built in Front facing internal Camera
    - Built in high powered LED Flash
    - Anti-Shake Image Stabilization so you won't get blurry pictures or videos
    - New Photo Sphere feature, which allows you to view a new moving Panaroma picture.
    - Very Large 3300mAh Battery for improved longevity
    - Phone also has enhanced and customizable ECO modes to increase battery life
    - DTS Mobile Sound
    - Enjoy your Media / Videos in a small separate window while operating other functions on the phone
    - Quick note taking & picture editing by just writting on the screen
    - Supports Bluetooth Sync with Casio G-Shock Watches
    - Quickly turn on the phone by just sweeping the screen
    - Privacy mode, which blurs the screen when viewed from the sides.
    - Android 4.4.2 Kit Kat OS
    - This Japanse Phone is Waterproof / Dustproof and meets IPX5/IPX7 standards.
    - CPU: Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 (MSM8974AB) Quad-core 2.3GHz
    - GPU: Adreno 330
    - Memory : 32 GB ROM / 2 GB RAM
    - 2G Network : GSM GPRS EDGE 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz
    - 3G Network : UMTS HSDPA UMTS 800, 850, 2100 MHz
    - 4G Network : LTE 800, 1500, 1800, 2100 Mhz
    - Micro SDHC memory card supports up to 32 GB
    - Micro SDXC memory card supports up to 128 GB
    - Battery Size : 3300 mAh
    - Global NFC Supported
    - aptX Supported
    - HDMI Output supported with an MHL Adapter (Adapter sold Separately)
    - Bluetooth version 4.0
    - Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n
    - DLNA Certified
    - GPS, GLONASS
    - Micro USB 2.0 Host (Keyboard / Mouse supported)
    - 3.5mm stereo headset jack
    - Music Format : MP3, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, AMR, QCELP, WAV
    - Facebook, YouTube, Twitter integration / support
    - Size : 140 × 74 × 9.3mm

sh-04f31.jpg

sh-04f43.jpg

sh-04f28.jpg

With some unique features...
    sh-04f13.jpg

sh-04f14.jpg

sh-04f15.jpg

sh-04f16.jpg

sh-04f30.jpg

Video...

First Review...

I should receive it within 1 week.
    Do u know if we will have full 3G coverage in Spain?¿

These are the frequencies supported by the phone:

2G Network : GSM GPRS EDGE 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz
    3G Network : UMTS HSDPA UMTS 800, 850, 2100 MHz
    4G Network : LTE 800, 1500, 1800, 2100 Mhz

I did a little research and it seems Spanish providers use UMTS 900/2100 for 3G and 1800/2600 for 4G so in principle there shouldn't be a problem, i remark in principle because the frequenties used might vary from one provider to another.
    Tomorrow I'll finally can unbox mine! I'll poste here first hands-on
    Yes i do it from Spain!! i've getting data but it's a litte complicated.
    1. Go to Mobile Network Settings
    2. Enable data roaming
    3. Go to Network operators and set your operator company
    4. Enable Data to access mobile network
    5. Congratulations you must have data network!

Awesome! I got mobile data working now, I'm getting H+ speeds now! My life is complete :p

is there no way to update the firmware if we are outside of Japan?

You won't be able to get updates unless you are using a Docomo SIM and in Japan, no other way of installing updates besides OTA