Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,988 Members 44,858 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

SystemUpdateService always on

Tip us?

bit2
Old
(Last edited by bit2; 3rd July 2014 at 07:11 PM.) Reason: added ADB commands
Thanks Meter 10
For me only SystemUpdateService$SecretCodeReceiver had to be disabled. All other activities, receivers and services with a name starting with "SystemUpdate" were already disabled. I used ADB + "pm disable" to disable this one component.

Here is a list of commands to disable all SystemUpdate "stuff" via ADB (of course it requires a rooted phone with some sort of "su" installed):
Code:
adb shell su -c pm disable com.google.android.gms/.update.SystemUpdateActivity
adb shell su -c pm disable com.google.android.gms/.update.SystemUpdateService
adb shell su -c pm disable com.google.android.gms/.update.SystemUpdateService$ActiveReceiver
adb shell su -c pm disable com.google.android.gms/.update.SystemUpdateService$Receiver
adb shell su -c pm disable com.google.android.gms/.update.SystemUpdateService$SecretCodeReceiver
adb shell su -c pm disable com.google.android.gsf/.update.SystemUpdateActivity
adb shell su -c pm disable com.google.android.gsf/.update.SystemUpdatePanoActivity
adb shell su -c pm disable com.google.android.gsf/.update.SystemUpdateService
adb shell su -c pm disable com.google.android.gsf/.update.SystemUpdateService$Receiver
adb shell su -c pm disable com.google.android.gsf/.update.SystemUpdateService$SecretCodeReceiver
Each of the above commands should print something like this:
Code:
Component {com.google.android.gms/com.google.android.gms.update.SystemUpdateActivity} new state: disabled
If it doesn't, it didn't work. Either because the command couldn't get root access (eg. you don't have any "su" installed) or your "Google Play services" or "Google Services Framework" doesn't have the given component (yet).
The Following User Says Thank You to bit2 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

IronTechmonkey
Old
(Last edited by IronTechmonkey; 4th July 2014 at 07:51 AM.)
Thanks Meter 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfree2ita View Post
I've the same issue here since 2/3 days on my 9001 running CyanogenMod 11.0 by ADC-Team - Release 8, maybe it was some app update occurred recently... I didn't have any issue with the same rom before.

---------- Post added at 10:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 AM ----------

I can confirm that downgrading Google Play Services to version 4.3.25 is a working workaround.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=3026
Thanks. going to try this.

---------- Post added at 01:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durocks View Post
Best workaround I've found:

"Finally I was able to block the SystemUpdateService wakelock, using this app:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...com.rs.autorun
go to settings, enable the option to show system entries
find google play services and disable:
SystemUpdateService$Receiver
SystemUpdateService$ActiveReceiver
SystemUpdateService$SecretCodeReceiver
done... no more wakelock and it didn't break anything, syncs all work ok
I know this app doesn't look the best, but I tried others like "Android Tuner Free", "Disable Services", "Gemini App Manager", etc, but they allowed me to only disable the main service and didn't show the other receivers that had to be disabled."

As the other user said, this is all caused by the Google Play Services update that has being rolling out this last week. The solution above is reboot proof (At least for me). Thanks to the user who posted it.
This seems to be the most effective workaround short of downgrading Google Play Services however in my case it does not survive reboot and once today I had to toggle those three services on/off after deleting/recreating a Google account on the phone.

MarvinFS
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bit2 View Post
For me only SystemUpdateService$SecretCodeReceiver had to be disabled. All other activities, receivers and services with a name starting with "SystemUpdate" were already disabled. I used ADB + "pm disable" to disable this one component.

Here is a list of commands to disable all SystemUpdate "stuff" via ADB (of course it requires a rooted phone with some sort of "su" installed):
Code:
adb shell su -c pm disable com.google.android.gms/.update.SystemUpdateActivity
adb shell su -c pm disable com.google.android.gms/.update.SystemUpdateService
adb shell su -c pm disable com.google.android.gms/.update.SystemUpdateService$ActiveReceiver
adb shell su -c pm disable com.google.android.gms/.update.SystemUpdateService$Receiver
adb shell su -c pm disable com.google.android.gms/.update.SystemUpdateService$SecretCodeReceiver
adb shell su -c pm disable com.google.android.gsf/.update.SystemUpdateActivity
adb shell su -c pm disable com.google.android.gsf/.update.SystemUpdatePanoActivity
adb shell su -c pm disable com.google.android.gsf/.update.SystemUpdateService
adb shell su -c pm disable com.google.android.gsf/.update.SystemUpdateService$Receiver
adb shell su -c pm disable com.google.android.gsf/.update.SystemUpdateService$SecretCodeReceiver
Each of the above commands should print something like this:
Code:
Component {com.google.android.gms/com.google.android.gms.update.SystemUpdateActivity} new state: disabled
If it doesn't, it didn't work. Either because the command couldn't get root access (eg. you don't have any "su" installed) or your "Google Play services" or "Google Services Framework" doesn't have the given component (yet).
I can confirm - working fine for me! Thank you for a solution
OnePlus One 64GB
CM11S - H25R
franco kernel r3
cracked market v4.8.20

had a constant wakelock of SystemUpdateServices
it was already disabled in DisableServices
haven't tied to downgrade the market - some say it also helps!
But your solution did the trick - no more wakelocks!

Is it possible it'll return somehow, i mean i wonder if those "pm disable" commands are consistent and can't be reversed by some other google service when needed!

PS CM's updater working fine!
CU round,
MarvinFS

UMI X2 2/32 1.2
The Following User Says Thank You to MarvinFS For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Ridnarhtim
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkeyway View Post
So just trying stuff without any deeper thoughts, I just did two things, locked the phone afterwards and now the wakelock seems to be gone:

1. I enabled SystemUpdateService using Disable Service App, which had already been disabled when we first looked.
2. I looked into the CM update function, where - having selected all stable releases - nothing was showing and refreshing didn't work. Got the idea to look into Disable Service App again, and found that UpdateCheckService of CyanogenMod-Updater was disabled. Enabled it, refreshed CM updater, got a list of stable releases.

My beginner's guess would be #1 did it - but why was #2 even an issue in the first place?
Thank you so much for this! I was getting 0% deep sleep for no apparent reason, and your #1 solved the problem.