Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,646 Members 46,445 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

TW 4.4.2 Stock Verizon I545VRUFNC5 For MDK BootLoader

Tip us?

double zero
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I am on Vanir right now. I need to return to stock so I can return my current phone to Verizon. I was wondering if I flashed this Rom, ran Triangle Away (to reset the counter), then unrooted via SuperSU settings, would that basically return my phone to stock? If I were to unroot, would I get any type of Verizon OTA? Just confused on how to get back to stock, especially since I don't have a working USB!!

ElBow513
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Howdy everyone, I'm kinda an s4 newb... I have had my Verizon S4 since the day it came out and I rooted it right away but left the stock root for over a year (4.2.2 mdk). I really enjoy the stock experience but wanted to update it to the latest release without losing root.

So I downloaded nc5 from here (md5 checked good), factory wipe, clear cache and dalvik, install, restore apps with tibu.

Worked great, but I keep getting random crashes, sod's and reboots. I don't mind the random reboot here and there but when I goto sleep and don't wake up because my alarm never went off, I get pissed. Also almost half the time after taking a picture in auto mode, it says processing and reboots. Also sometimes after the reboot the radio seems uber slow in getting a signal.

I've read tons of pages on here but curious what the best solution for my woes is. Is there anything I can do besides re formatting my internal and external SD card? I'll attach a screenshot of my current set up. Any tips are greatly appreciated.

ViperGeek
Old
Thanks Meter 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElBow513 View Post
Howdy everyone, I'm kinda an s4 newb... I have had my Verizon S4 since the day it came out and I rooted it right away but left the stock root for over a year (4.2.2 mdk). I really enjoy the stock experience but wanted to update it to the latest release without losing root.

So I downloaded nc5 from here (md5 checked good), factory wipe, clear cache and dalvik, install, restore apps with tibu.

Worked great, but I keep getting random crashes, sod's and reboots.
I pretty much followed the same path you did with two distinct differences:
  1. used the Full Stock I545VRUFNC2 image (not NC5 Aroma)
  2. didn't restore apps via Titanium Backup
From previous battle scars, I tend to avoid doing a full restore from Titanium Backup between Android OS versions. It tends to restore version-specific incompatible bits, especially in /data/data, that takes hours to troubleshoot.

If I were you, I'd do a quick Nandroid backup (to protect against free advice making it worse), re-wipe, load the I545VRUFNC2 image, and let Mother Google restore your apps without data and see how it goes for a few days.

Good luck!

- Dave

ElBow513
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperGeek View Post
I pretty much followed the same path you did with two distinct differences:
  1. used the Full Stock I545VRUFNC2 image (not NC5 Aroma)
  2. didn't restore apps via Titanium Backup
From previous battle scars, I tend to avoid doing a full restore from Titanium Backup between Android OS versions. It tends to restore version-specific incompatible bits, especially in /data/data, that takes hours to troubleshoot.

If I were you, I'd do a quick Nandroid backup (to protect against free advice making it worse), re-wipe, load the I545VRUFNC2 image, and let Mother Google restore your apps without data and see how it goes for a few days.

Good luck!

- Dave
I'm just curious if there is another build or stock rom I could flash to that doesn't have these issues. I've had a thunderbolt and several android tablets and my method with cwm of factory reset, clear cache, dalvik, tibu user app restore has never caused such issues...

gt5oh
Old
Thanks Meter 59
how is this running for everyone?

Any known issues?

Mix3d
Old
Thanks Meter 917

DONATE TO ME
Overall seems to be working well, but Titanium backup seems unable to run - it loads ok, but cannot access the external SD card, where my backups are stored, and wont even show the list of apps to delete one by one... I'm coming from a FULL data and system wipe, so I can't imagine it being the install as an issue, and I can see the sdcard through any file browser.

Any Ideas?

ViperGeek
Old
Thanks Meter 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mix3d View Post
Overall seems to be working well, but Titanium backup seems unable to run - it loads ok, but cannot access the external SD card, where my backups are stored, and wont even show the list of apps to delete one by one... I'm coming from a FULL data and system wipe, so I can't imagine it being the install as an issue, and I can see the sdcard through any file browser.

Any Ideas?
When I first upgraded from 4.2.2 to 4.4.2, Titanium Backup didn't find/guess my root folder correctly and I had to go into Settings to configure it manually. Also, I had other apps there weren't too psyched about KitKat's per-application SD card protection scheme. I ended up installing the HandleExternalStorage Xposed module to revert access to the SD card to pre-4.4 "free for all" mode.

Another shot in the dark: Are you running the latest, latest version of TB? Mine's 6.1.5.6.

- Dave

Tags
4.4.2 s4