Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,646 Members 46,445 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

TW 4.4.2 Stock Verizon I545VRUFNC5 For MDK BootLoader

Tip us?
 
double zero
Old
#1111  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 27
Join Date: Dec 2011
I am on Vanir right now. I need to return to stock so I can return my current phone to Verizon. I was wondering if I flashed this Rom, ran Triangle Away (to reset the counter), then unrooted via SuperSU settings, would that basically return my phone to stock? If I were to unroot, would I get any type of Verizon OTA? Just confused on how to get back to stock, especially since I don't have a working USB!!
 
ElBow513
Old
#1112  
Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 42
Join Date: Apr 2011
Howdy everyone, I'm kinda an s4 newb... I have had my Verizon S4 since the day it came out and I rooted it right away but left the stock root for over a year (4.2.2 mdk). I really enjoy the stock experience but wanted to update it to the latest release without losing root.

So I downloaded nc5 from here (md5 checked good), factory wipe, clear cache and dalvik, install, restore apps with tibu.

Worked great, but I keep getting random crashes, sod's and reboots. I don't mind the random reboot here and there but when I goto sleep and don't wake up because my alarm never went off, I get pissed. Also almost half the time after taking a picture in auto mode, it says processing and reboots. Also sometimes after the reboot the radio seems uber slow in getting a signal.

I've read tons of pages on here but curious what the best solution for my woes is. Is there anything I can do besides re formatting my internal and external SD card? I'll attach a screenshot of my current set up. Any tips are greatly appreciated.

 
ViperGeek
Old
#1113  
ViperGeek's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 26
Posts: 114
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Merrimack, NH
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElBow513 View Post
Howdy everyone, I'm kinda an s4 newb... I have had my Verizon S4 since the day it came out and I rooted it right away but left the stock root for over a year (4.2.2 mdk). I really enjoy the stock experience but wanted to update it to the latest release without losing root.

So I downloaded nc5 from here (md5 checked good), factory wipe, clear cache and dalvik, install, restore apps with tibu.

Worked great, but I keep getting random crashes, sod's and reboots.
I pretty much followed the same path you did with two distinct differences:
  1. used the Full Stock I545VRUFNC2 image (not NC5 Aroma)
  2. didn't restore apps via Titanium Backup
From previous battle scars, I tend to avoid doing a full restore from Titanium Backup between Android OS versions. It tends to restore version-specific incompatible bits, especially in /data/data, that takes hours to troubleshoot.

If I were you, I'd do a quick Nandroid backup (to protect against free advice making it worse), re-wipe, load the I545VRUFNC2 image, and let Mother Google restore your apps without data and see how it goes for a few days.

Good luck!

- Dave
 
ElBow513
Old
#1114  
Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 42
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperGeek View Post
I pretty much followed the same path you did with two distinct differences:
  1. used the Full Stock I545VRUFNC2 image (not NC5 Aroma)
  2. didn't restore apps via Titanium Backup
From previous battle scars, I tend to avoid doing a full restore from Titanium Backup between Android OS versions. It tends to restore version-specific incompatible bits, especially in /data/data, that takes hours to troubleshoot.

If I were you, I'd do a quick Nandroid backup (to protect against free advice making it worse), re-wipe, load the I545VRUFNC2 image, and let Mother Google restore your apps without data and see how it goes for a few days.

Good luck!

- Dave
I'm just curious if there is another build or stock rom I could flash to that doesn't have these issues. I've had a thunderbolt and several android tablets and my method with cwm of factory reset, clear cache, dalvik, tibu user app restore has never caused such issues...
 
gt5oh
Old
#1115  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 59
Posts: 432
Join Date: Apr 2009
how is this running for everyone?


Any known issues?
 
Mix3d
Old
#1116  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 917
Posts: 545
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Amherst

 
DONATE TO ME
Overall seems to be working well, but Titanium backup seems unable to run - it loads ok, but cannot access the external SD card, where my backups are stored, and wont even show the list of apps to delete one by one... I'm coming from a FULL data and system wipe, so I can't imagine it being the install as an issue, and I can see the sdcard through any file browser.

Any Ideas?
 
ViperGeek
Old
#1117  
ViperGeek's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 26
Posts: 114
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Merrimack, NH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mix3d View Post
Overall seems to be working well, but Titanium backup seems unable to run - it loads ok, but cannot access the external SD card, where my backups are stored, and wont even show the list of apps to delete one by one... I'm coming from a FULL data and system wipe, so I can't imagine it being the install as an issue, and I can see the sdcard through any file browser.

Any Ideas?
When I first upgraded from 4.2.2 to 4.4.2, Titanium Backup didn't find/guess my root folder correctly and I had to go into Settings to configure it manually. Also, I had other apps there weren't too psyched about KitKat's per-application SD card protection scheme. I ended up installing the HandleExternalStorage Xposed module to revert access to the SD card to pre-4.4 "free for all" mode.

Another shot in the dark: Are you running the latest, latest version of TB? Mine's 6.1.5.6.

- Dave

Tags
4.4.2 s4
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes