Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,803,273 Members 44,751 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Beginner Guides]How to Backup Almost Every Android Device

Tip us?

kalo0osh97
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 234
Prompt [Beginner Guides]How to Backup Almost Every Android Device

Introduction:
After I saw that that there is an Adb command to backup Android devices, I said to myself why I don't make batch file to make it easier for people to use it ? Luckily, it didn't take me long before I made a batch file that is able to backup your device ,any Android device, which is extremely easy to use.It consists of only 5 questions that will help decide what you wish to backup. This batch file uses a unadvertised feature in Android 4.0+ to Backup everything on your Android device. A Galaxy S4,a Chinese branded mobile phone, or even a tablet. This batch file can backup all of them.

Disclaimer:
I’m not responsible if something goes wrong on your phone(Usually nothing goes wrong), you’re doing this on your own responsibility. Rooting your phone will void your warranty so don’t root your device unless you know what you are doing.

Method:
Advantages:
  1. Easy to use.
  2. Backs up all your apps with all their data.No need to worry about reinstalling them again.
  3. Uses Android stock feature so it less likely –if not at all- to find an incompatible Android device.
  4. Extremely useful for cheap unbranded chinese Android Devices
  5. Doesn't require a rooted device.

Disadvantages:
  1. If you have a mobile device you need to backup your messages and call logs separately.
  2. Needs a Windows PC .

Download:
To download the toolkit and for more instructions on how you can use it, consider visiting How to Back up Almost Every Android Device

tsiah
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Has anyone had issues with this backup tool? I have a 6.9 GB .ab file in my backup folder, so I'm 90% sure I did the backup correctly... But I can't get it to restore. I point the tool to the backup, it reads back the complete file extension correctly, I select "backup now" on the phone and let it run till it gets to the "thank you for using this tool, press any key to continue" and it closes itself out. There's nothing on the phone though. I've performed the restore twice, the second time I made sure the file extension was exactly how windows shows it in the event that the tool is case sensitive. Still nothing on the phone.

zAfi2014
Old
Thanks Meter 0
@tsiah: The script seems to be using the adb backup command. According to this thread (at the bottom) you need to set a desktop backup password:

Quote:
Originally Posted by copkay View Post
NOTE 06/12: There seems to be a bug in which backup and restore operations will fail unless a desktop backup password is set under Developer Options. It will not work with a blank password.
The post itself is a little bit older, so you might have to search around if this is still the case.

tsiah
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by zAfi2014 View Post
@tsiah: The script seems to be using the adb backup command. According to this thread (at the bottom) you need to set a desktop backup password:

The post itself is a little bit older, so you might have to search around if this is still the case.
Great... That would have been nice to know before hand
So now I've wasted all this time trying to get it to work and it probably won't ever work at this point...

polobunny
Old
Thanks Meter 2,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiah View Post
Great... That would have been nice to know before hand
So now I've wasted all this time trying to get it to work and it probably won't ever work at this point...
When you did the backup, didn't your phone ask you for a password to input?
Please press THANKS if someone helps you!

My current configuration:

Device: Samsung Galaxy S3 SGH-i747M
ROM: cm-11-20140911-NIGHTLY-d2lte
Kernel: stock (testing harkness bld!)
Baseband: I747MUMUEND3
Bootloader: I747MVLDMF1
Governor: Interactive

Older device: Nexus S i9020A

tsiah
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by polobunny View Post
When you did the backup, didn't your phone ask you for a password to input?
It says you can encrypt it with a password but that it's optional.

tsiah
Old
Thanks Meter 6
I've been messing around with this a little bit more. I set a password in developer options and attempted the restoration again. It runs for about 30 minutes, I get the toast "restore ended" (something to that effect) and nothing has changed.

Currently attempting to restore in safe mode. No idea if it'll take or not.
I lost a lot of photos that were attached to an app (you have to manually select the ones you want to save and save them to your library...wtf? good idea dev!) my wife is quite upset that the photos are gone and I'm about at my wits end trying to get this restoration to work.

What I can't understand is why the file is 6.9 GB, but there's no restoration taking place. Everyone that reported issues with the password not being set was getting a 0kb or maybe a few hundred mb as their file they pulled in the backup. I really don't think the backup failed...but why is the restore failing???

tsiah
Old
(Last edited by tsiah; 20th August 2014 at 05:17 PM.)
Thanks Meter 6
Attempting the restoration in safe mode made no difference.

Pretty bummed out.

I've been twisting the ear of someone over at VSCO cam. No idea if it will make a difference in future versions of the application but IMO they should inform you when you START using their app that you MUST manually save all the photos you want to keep...or, the logical thing that every other camera on the planet does, JUST SAVE THE DAMN PHOTOS!
VSCO stores pictures in some cache folder of their own. If you uninstall the app or have to factory reset a phone and you haven't selected and saved all your photos inside the app, you lose everything. They don't own MY pictures. I think that kind of blurs some...ethical? ...lines. Storing them in a folder that basically "belongs" to them? not cool VSCO. Not cool at all.

I'm pissed about this whole situation.
Sometimes I just want to tell all technology to bite my shiny metal ass...

---------- Post added at 10:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalo0osh97 View Post
Disadvantages:
  1. If you have a mobile device you need to backup your messages and call logs separately.
  2. Needs a Windows PC .
add to this list that the restoration might not work, even if the backup seems to have worked properly...

I won't ever use this backup method again. It's way too time consuming and you can't depend on it.