Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,298 Members 39,610 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

BAMP - (Badass Android Music Player) - convert any old phone into a super iPod

Tip us?

dawgdoc
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Default Google Play Services

Not all processes under Google Play services are started by the Google Play Store. Some are messaging and location services started by apps such as Google Search, Maps, and Hangouts. I'm pretty sure I've also had the location services started by non-Google apps.

Therefore, you can probably freeze some, especially the location services, without having any effect on the Play Store.

SGS3 SGH-i747

TW 4.1.2, stock, rooted,
TiBu frozen

Samsung Captivate SGH-i897
Currently CyanogenMod 10.1.3
resurrected from softbrick using 4-2ndtwin's Heimdall OneClick to stock Gingerbread - 2.3.5 - kk4
ROM history Eclair > Froyo > Gingerbread > CM9
The Following User Says Thank You to dawgdoc For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dopiate
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Default agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgdoc View Post
Not all processes under Google Play services are started by the Google Play Store. Some are messaging and location services started by apps such as Google Search, Maps, and Hangouts. I'm pretty sure I've also had the location services started by non-Google apps.

Therefore, you can probably freeze some, especially the location services, without having any effect on the Play Store.
I think you are correct.

I reset my battery monitor this morning and will look after I get a few days of stats to see what else runs and takes up battery that is basically useless in a music player.

Since I posted the original screen shots of what I had frozen I added Maps, the HTC Location Service and just this morning Google Play services. I forgot about the first two until your post.

These are the three processes I have frozen since in my original screenshots:

I would like to freeze anything Google that doesn't break the Play Store and GDrive. Not everyone would care about GDrive but I like the convenience of it. If you don't use it, it could probably be frozen too.

I'm usually the cause of any battery problems now if I forget to switch off WiFi or use the screen too much while creating new playlists .. screen timeout is a big deal if you are trying to squeeze every minute out of your battery.
The Following User Says Thank You to dopiate For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

meadillas11
Old
Thanks Meter 2
just freeze everything it moves like Solid Snake would do

Enviado desde mi Desire Z mediante Tapatalk

dopiate
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
I'm not sure I understand what you mean?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app
-dOpiate

Senno Ecto Gammat

fabecoool
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Default Thanks

Thanks dOpiate for sharing this. I have been using CM on my old SGS I9000 to serve as a music player (just keeping the airplane mode on all the time), but this goes even further. I'll have to try that!

I'm surprised there aren't more people coming to this thread, with the number of people who have an old Android phone and don't know what to do with it.

Keep up the good work!
The Following User Says Thank You to fabecoool For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dopiate
Old
(Last edited by dopiate; 11th April 2014 at 06:44 PM.) Reason: had another thought
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabecoool View Post
Thanks dOpiate for sharing this. I have been using CM on my old SGS I9000 to serve as a music player (just keeping the airplane mode on all the time), but this goes even further. I'll have to try that!

I'm surprised there aren't more people coming to this thread, with the number of people who have an old Android phone and don't know what to do with it.

Keep up the good work!
Thanks I appreciate the feedback.

I think because this thread isn't device specific that it doesn't get that much traffic. And like you, I don't know what people are doing with all the old android devices they have. Just because it's not your phone anymore doesn't mean they are useless. They are very powerful computers that can be used for lots of things.

I actually used my 1st phone, the HTC Incredible 1, to replace my alarm clock. It was perfect, my alarm clock broke - I had the HTC Incredible in a drawer doing nothing so I set it up on my night stand as an alarm clock and I saved myself some $ and found a way to reuse the device.

As for the BAMP phone - I use it all the time - gym, car, work, data center, collocation, lol you get the point.

Soon I am going to have to part with my Galaxy Nexus as my primary phone but I can't wait to see how far I can take it as a media player only.

With the HTC Rezound I was stuck with what was an essentially cleaned up Verizon OTA update mod but the Nexus is CM 11 latest nightly! So much less bloat/trash to start with. I'll be doing a lot of trial and error on that one and will update this thread when/if I discover something new.

Thanks again and I hope this thread was helpful to you. If you learn anything new let me know and I'll add it here.

-dOpiate
The Following User Says Thank You to dopiate For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tmz83
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Hi and thanks for the tutorial.
Why ia android 4+ mandatory ? This kind of things can be done with gingerbreadů

--
Xiaomi mi2s with Tapatalk
Motorola ATRIX MB860 tegrapart mbr.d00.100.800
Samsung Galaxy ACE S5830 powered by cyanogenmod 7.2

The "try yourself" answer is the kind of support that everyone needs from a forum: useless, if I can do everything by myself. If you can't really help please don't answer just to say nothing and have one more message in your record.

dopiate
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmz83 View Post
Hi and thanks for the tutorial.
Why ia android 4+ mandatory ? This kind of things can be done with gingerbreadů

--

I stated that specifically for my guide. The apps/settings I suggest don't all run on 3.x, that's the only reason.

I'm sure you could do the same things in gb but if your going by my guide (which will get an update very soon) you would need 4.x

The "idea" would certainly work in gingerbread.

I still use the HTC Rezound I created while writing this guide every day in my car and it still works great. Haven't noticed any battery life deterioration at all.

I did learn that every once in a while I have to enable WiFi or some of the apps no longer think they are licensed (Titanium, PowerAmp) -- but you need to make sure the Play Store isn't set to auto-update. Once it's working - don't let Google update any apps unless you want them updated otherwise you will end up with new Google apps you don't need/want.

I will make this guide more "current" very soon as I have another phone to do and I hope to use CM 4.4.4 as my base.

tmz83
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Ok, thanks again!

--
Motorola ATRIX MB860 tegrapart mbr.d00.100.800
Samsung Galaxy ACE S5830 powered by cyanogenmod 7.2

The "try yourself" answer is the kind of support that everyone needs from a forum: useless, if I can do everything by myself. If you can't really help please don't answer just to say nothing and have one more message in your record.