Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,471 Members 42,808 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Samsung Galaxy K Zoom review for S4 Zoom users

Tip us?

Heisenberg3282
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Still think the S5 has better image quality due to the ISOCELL sensor, maybe Samsung will put this into the K Zoom 2?

The lack of LED for video is a big negative too.

One Twelve
Old
Thanks Meter 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by livio80 View Post
these are my photos and the related Exif data (.txt format)

i forgot to say: no tripod/stand for camera...i have done it "handmade"....I do not have a very steady hand!!!!
Very difficult to make out, can you list shutter speed and iso next to file name for each photo.

Otherwise put them up on imageshack or dropbox and we can look at them ourselves.

Heisenberg3282
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I really wanted this phone but as i said above, the lack of video light is an extremely big negative.

The S5 seems to take better pictures if you compare the S5 and K Zoom without any zoom, the S5 looks good even when using 4x digital zoom and cropped photos look very good too.

One Twelve
Old
(Last edited by One Twelve; 18th August 2014 at 12:26 PM.)
Thanks Meter 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg3282 View Post
I really wanted this phone but as i said above, the lack of video light is an extremely big negative.
Just use a torch, i have a Fenix on my key chain that can throw a beam of light much further than a tiny led or even a zenon.

btw what is it that draws you to this phone ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg3282 View Post
IThe S5 seems to take better pictures if you compare the S5 and K Zoom without any zoom, the S5 looks good even when using 4x digital zoom and cropped photos look very good too.
Depends how you define better isn't it. What is the slowest shutter speed on the S5 ? it can't compete with the 16s on the K zoom. and no flagship past, present or future can compete with optical zoom.

4x digital zoom is not the same as 4x optical zoom where prespective will change at longer focal lengths. So don't be afraid to use zoom and get your subject and no need for cropping later. Get it right in-camera.

The aperture on the k zoom is much smaller so less light but much deeper focal plane. Whether you want this or not is another question but its there.

However S5 panorama is much better, its the best out there (in terms of details and resolution) maybe only the G3 can compete with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Twelve View Post
Video is recorded in 30fps even if 60fps is set
Turns out i was wrong about this.

K Zoom can record 60fps in 1080p but only for ten minutes, same with 720p. Bitrate at 60fps is 28Mbs vs 17Mbs for 30fps which is the standard with others too.

with 30fps it can record a max of twenty five minutes after which it shuts and says max recording exceeded. Can always restart and go on for another 25 minutes.

What i noticed is the aperture seems to close down a bit more at 60fps than 30fps. When i did the test i noticed the exposure was dimmer indoors at 60 fps than 30fps.

CROrION
Old
Thanks Meter 53
Proud new owner of Galaxy K Zoom.

What do i like:

- Very nice build quality, phone feels premium.
- Great camera, Have lumia 1020, 920 and G3. All good cameras, but optical zoom and Samsung camera software are winning combo.
- It is very nice smartphone, 2GB of RAM in combination with CPU work very well, fast and stable.
- New touchwiz is great, flater, smoother, love some details like contact interaction history while giving or receiving call.
- Amoled screen is very nice, 720p is plenty for me.
- Video recording is very nice, record all my videos at 1080@30fps, get stable fps, GREAT light and very nice sound on videos.
- Ok price, payed it 420€

What could be better:

- more internal storage (bought 32GB SD card so I have that covered)
- battery could be bigger (will get spare one + external charger)
- no tripod mount (bought universal one)
- hard to find good case (well, still new phone, will be better in few weeks)
Smartphone history:
Nokia E6i > LG GT540 > Xperia X8 > Xperia X10 > Samsung Galaxy i9000 > HTC Desire HD > HTC HD2 > Samsung Omnia 7 > Samsung Galaxy Tab p1000 > Samsung Nexus S > Samsung Galaxy S2 + Huawei u8650 > Omnia 7 + Sony Ericsson Neo > HTC One X + i9300 + N8000 + N7100 > Samsung ATIV S + HTC ONE + N9005

One Twelve
Old
(Last edited by One Twelve; 19th August 2014 at 11:23 AM.)
Thanks Meter 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by CROrION View Post
- Great camera, Have lumia 1020, 920 and G3. All good cameras, but optical zoom and Samsung camera software are winning combo.
Would not be surprised if some of the software features make it over to the other flagships, the zoom part however remains exclusive.

Was watching a clip about ios8 camera features and finally apple is seeing the light with offering much more control to the camera. shutter, iso, timelapse etc. So people with earlier iphone models will benefit, camera was always capable it was the crippled software that prevented them making more use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CROrION View Post
- hard to find good case (well, still new phone, will be better in few weeks)
You have two options, either the auto pop cover which looks a lot better in real life than photos or the official samsung case. Both are good bumper cases with the former covering the camera lens entirely. it adds 35gm to the weight of the phone.

ashouhdy
Old
Thanks Meter 263
What a beautiful camera

https://flic.kr/p/owDjJR

---------- Post added at 03:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:23 AM ----------

One twelve : yes I use only the 60fps at daylight

Even on the f2.2 note3 the 60fps was dimmer .. I don know why

---------- Post added at 03:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:28 AM ----------

S5 better than the k !! I cant use those st. Forward cameras anymore.

Night photos are terrible on the S5 and if u r going into the night mode ( digital stabilizer as samsung calls it) its much worse with shack and blurr every where.

The K is good real good.

One Twelve
Old
(Last edited by One Twelve; Today at 12:48 AM.)
Thanks Meter 98
Was wondering what diagonal guide lines can be used for.

'eyes' of the golden rectangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashouhdy View Post
What a beautiful camera

https://flic.kr/p/owDjJR
Still legal to drive it ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashouhdy View Post
The 0.5 sec works !. Try it just keep still hhhhh. Yea am with u about the screen colors not the best vs LCDs ofcourse but as u said perfect viewing angles ��

Took this tonight handheld No edited at all.
Yeah yeah, what a cunning choice of subject

Try with king Fuad's palace.

Will have to wait next month to get the moon, overcast sky with the monsoons.