Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,011 Members 47,641 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Samsung Galaxy Note 2 GT-N7100 Downgrade from 4.4.2 back to 4.1.2

Tip us?

terrord8158
Old
(Last edited by terrord8158; 24th June 2014 at 09:35 AM.) Reason: Better contribution to the thread
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Now I am a NOOB, totally..

According to YogiCrusher's link:

http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/f672...ox-s4-1775213/

There is a way to wipe out Galaxy Note 2 GT-N7100's eMMC and start all over anew; then being able to downgrade back to 4.1.2 as for the main reason this thread came to existence.

Would any kind Dev build a tutorial on how to achieve it?

This could be the end of SAMSUNG KNOX tirany. I wanna get back to my normal life, you know...

terrord8158
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Experimenting on GT-N7100

Following is a way to downgrade your Note 2 back to JB 4.1.2 though the Bootloader remains locked and Knox Tripped to 0x1. Credits go to Sudo77:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudo77 View Post
I think you misunderstand. Downgrading on a locked bootloader will re-trip KNOX flag even when fixed, I think lol. If you don't care for KNOX being 0x1, I think it is quite easy to do. Sorry this is getting OT so I will speak downgrading in relation to the KNOX flag in general devices. This is still a Note 3 thread. To downgrade to say... 4.1.2 I tested:

DO NOT TRY THIS, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED this is only testing...

1.) Flash custom recovery by PC Odin (CWM or TWRP) <-- THIS WILL VOID KNOX 0x1 if not already.
2.) Use Dr.Ketan's tool (courtesy of Dr.Ketan) to allow root and purge KNOX.
3.) Backup efs
4.) Supersu can now be installed along with Mobile Odin to allow privileged access.
5.) Flash ROM (say 4.1.2) with Mobile Odin
6.) Restore efs
7.) Clean up flash count with Triangle Away.

You will get a familiar interface back and working. I think this version did improve battery life and the phone appeared less sluggish than 4.3. Strangely, Mobile Odin works because I think with root access it can ignore the locked KNOX bootloader, and downgrade anyway. However, interestingly the KNOX bootloader will recognize old ROM (dispite being official) as Custom ROM and will disable system upgrades from Samsung I suspected. Returning to 4.3 is easy and can be flashed directly by PC Odin as the KNOX bootloader ALLOWS this.

So, my main goal here is not to reset the KNOX flag per se (as a head start), but get help unlocking the KNOX bootloader for smoother operation like the older BLs. This is what XDA is known for.
What are the side effects of downgrading witha locked BL? Anyone tried it on his Note 2 GT-N7100?

Thanks!

Sudo77
Old
Thanks Meter 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachadelhadouchi View Post
Following is a way to downgrade your Note 2 back to JB 4.1.2 though the Bootloader remains locked and Knox Tripped to 0x1. Credits go to Sudo77:

What are the side effects of downgrading witha locked BL? Anyone tried it on his Note 2 GT-N7100?

Thanks!
I written a guide in which you can try doing. If you are on 4.4.2, download a copy of your CURRENT 4.4.2 firmware before you begin.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...n7100-t2807196
The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo77 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

terrord8158
Old
(Last edited by terrord8158; 8th July 2014 at 03:42 PM.) Reason: Updating info
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudo77 View Post
I written a guide in which you can try doing. If you are on 4.4.2, download a copy of your CURRENT 4.4.2 firmware before you begin.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...n7100-t2807196
Good News!

Now is there any side-effects of being on 4.1.2 with a locked ND3 boot-loader (bl of 4.4.2)?

Because I read somewhere that you cannot charge your phone battery when it is off (either flat battery or simply turned off). I hope that I am wrong..

Otherwise, THANK YOU Sudo77!

EDIT: It appears that your guide is valid for downgrading from 4.3 to 4.1.2 but NOT from 4.4.2 back to 4.1.2. This makes it ineffective for those who have upgraded to 4.4.2 and want to get back to 4.1.2.. Because in 4.4.2, Sambi#@* did upgrade the modem, efs, ans some other stuff from 4.3

It's sad news indeed.. I guess we, all GT-N7100 with KK 4.4.2 owners, will have to wait a bit longer

Sudo77
Old
(Last edited by Sudo77; 8th July 2014 at 07:00 PM.)
Thanks Meter 51
Ah I see, good, its better to be safe than to assume. You should find a compatible modem first on 4.4.2 anyway, to avoid efs issues. It'll be your biggest problem when downgrading.

terrord8158
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Any Progress?

It's been a while since the last reaction to this topic. Any new development in figuring how to downgrade back to 4.3/4.1.2?

dude_charming
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I did tried downgrading my n7100 using the mobile odin method on 4.4.2, however, mobile odin does not work.

Followed below process:
1- Flash 4.4.2 Stock ROM via Odin
2- Install CWM Recovery
3- Using Dr Ketan tool DeKnox the phone
4- Root the device using autoroot via Odin
5- Install SuperSU (checked for working)
6- Install Mobile Odin
7- Followed the steps on Mobile Odin to flash 4.1.2 & 4.3
8- Mobile Odin shows the progress dialog box until reboot. However, mobile does not reboot.

terrord8158
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default SUCCESS: well partial success! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_charming View Post
I did tried downgrading my n7100 using the mobile odin method on 4.4.2, however, mobile odin does not work.

Followed below process:
1- Flash 4.4.2 Stock ROM via Odin
2- Install CWM Recovery
3- Using Dr Ketan tool DeKnox the phone
4- Root the device using autoroot via Odin
5- Install SuperSU (checked for working)
6- Install Mobile Odin
7- Followed the steps on Mobile Odin to flash 4.1.2 & 4.3
8- Mobile Odin shows the progress dialog box until reboot. However, mobile does not reboot.
Thanks to Sudo77, I man up and SUCCEEDED at downgrading from 4.4.2 to back to 4.1.2 (of course, the ND3 bootloader is still present with knox flag 0x1).

So, here is the initial status of my N7100:

- Samsung GT-N7100 Galaxy Note II: International version
- Android OS: KK 4.4.2 (I f***ing hate it and regretted updating to it)
- Root: Yes, SuperSU 2.X (with Knox apps disabled and stuff)
- Mobile Odin Pro: Installed, version: 4.20
- 8 GB SD Card: formatted then copied "N7100XXDME6_N7100OXXDME2_N7100XXDME4_HOME.tar.md5 " firmware (Android JB 4.1.2 for UK/IRL; I use this firmware without problem here in Morocco) on the SD. You can download it from Sammobile.com

Now here's what I did: This is not a tutorial; those are the precise steps I went through..

1. Went to Settings and enabled USB Debugging (You can google how to enable USB Debug on Android KK 4.4.2);
2. Launched Mobile Odin Pro 4.20
3. Tapped on "Open File", selected "External SD", then selected N7100XXDME6_N7100OXXDME2_N7100XXDME4_HOME.tar.md5"
---> Now, the "gun is loaded", did not fire yet, continued to set additional options:
4. Tapped/Selected the following: "Enable EverRoot", "Inject Superuser (SuperSU)", "Inject Mobile Odin", "Wipe data and cache", and finally "Wipe Dalvik Cache"
---> At the moment, i decided everything was ready..I didn't touch the option "after flash" it was set to some kind of "automatic" I think it was about the reboot options after flash. DIDN'T touch it.
5. Tapped/Selected "Flash firmware"
---> I let it cook I didn't want to look since I was scared to death about something going awfully wrong. Went heating my dinner, chitchatting with my babe, then came back: BOOM!! i was on the Android JB 4.1.2 Welcome Screen..
---> A quick check revealed no EFS/network/wifi issues. All systems run smooth.

FIRST OBSERVATION: MAJOR improvement in speed and fluency. I got my 0.3 seconds 0 - 60 mph N7100 Lambo Aventador back!

DAAAMN!

Got a question though: Any side effects of having an Android JB 4.1.2 with a KK 4.4.2 BL (ND3)?