Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,230 Members 48,244 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE][FAQ][Android 4.4 KitKat] Installing & Customizing CM11 or SlimKat

Tip us?

Quintiliano
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Just checked out all of the settings. I/O was on Deadline as you said were best, then I tested to see how KSM and Purging of Assets worked out on this ROM and so far I noticed that KSM helps a bit, gave me more RAM and made the visuals slightly smoother, while Purging of Assets would give me even more RAM but would make the visuals really laggy on the phone (notification bar and even transition from screens in launcher). So, I recommend KSM on for whoever uses Paranoid Android and keep APA off.

As for the extra memory in Aero Control, I found out that the default settings for min_free_kbytes was '10240', then I changed it to '20480' and so far I haven't noticed any change in the phone's behavior, still has a bunch of memory free and is working as fine as it was before. I'll keep it this way for a while to see if it did change a thing at all.

The problem I had with my SlimKat was a random "google services stopped responding" message (something like this) popping out of nowhere randomly. I don't really know if it might have been an app I installed or if it just decided not to respond, but it came to a point in which it became unbearable (I would press "OK" and it would already show the same error again), I rebooted my phone into recovery and cleared Dalvik cache, then booted it up and saw that my text messages were all erased and that the problem was still happening. This pissed me off and made me decide to try another ROM, since I had been using SlimKat for quite a while (two months or something like this). Someday I might go back to it, when I see an update or something, I like to keep my phone as updated as possible.

I'm pretty satisfied with this PA ROM by the way. Only bug so far is the wallpaper showing entirely blurry but it might be the Launcher I'm using, so I'll try some workaround.

Thanks for all the help, mate, I'll keep on trying to clean stuff up and if I find anything helpful I'll surely report back.
The Following User Says Thank You to Quintiliano For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tomhanman
Old
(Last edited by tomhanman; 21st August 2014 at 08:13 PM.) Reason: mistake
Thanks Meter 0
Default sim broken by rom flash... ah no it appears not.

Hi, first thanks, now the probs.

I just flashed the latest CM11 nightly on my green MB525. I was running CM7 previously and happily but required recent android for an app.

Everything went well, started up and it asked me for my simcode. I never used a code on my CM7, so went to provider's site and it said default code for simcards was 0000. So I entered that, it didn't work. I entered what I would have changed it to if I had changed it, that didn't work. I tried again etc. It just kept asking, so I tried the PUK code, that didn't work either. It never said that I had tried too many times or that the sim was locked or anything. Anyhow, it was impossible to get it to unlock and to get any mobile network action. So I went to bed.

So how did my phone end up network locked when it hasn't been for two years?

I have kernal 2.6.32.9-aerokernel and baseband EPO93_U_00.60.03 I'm on Virgin France (which uses the Orange network).

Did I miss something stupid? Sorry if I did please point it out to me with a big stick!

Thanks in advance to all, and of course thanks to the Devs for keeping our little Defys alive.

Tom.