Lollipop Leak for Sprint Galaxy S5, TWRP for Micromax Canvas Magnus – XDA TV

Android 5.0 Lollipop has been leaked for the Sprint … more

Velocity is Like OpenTable on Steroids

We all enjoy a night out with friends or our significant other from time to time. However, there is … more

Android Lollipop Lands for the Sony Xperia Z Ultra

The undisputed king of the beasts–at least in Sony’s current stable,is the … more

Android 5.0 Lollipop in 3D–EVO 3D, That Is!

It is that time of the year once again. Flowers bloom (or snow falls, depending on which … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Recover / Hard Reset

OP jamesrascal

19th June 2014, 08:02 PM   |  #21  
Thanks Meter: 48

70 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by roustabout

I didn't mean to say you can't hose your device by changing settings with an editor, just that I don't think any of them change permissions. so using them to look but not change is pretty safe, IMO, and I'd hate to see folks discouraged from doing so.

I'm surprised that there's not a better onboard recovery on this device, or at least not one anyone's figured out how to get moving. I'dthink it'd be cheaper for Amazon if the devices had a viable recovery, or if there was a solid reset to factory which actually did a full reinstall of the OS.

Interesting about the fastboot mode - when i connect the FTV to my laptop using an A to A cable I don't get a device recognized in fastboot, but it may be down to not having a driver for it.

Are you using windows? Try installing the Kindle Fire usb drivers via the Android SDK Manager. Instructions can be found here.
The Following User Says Thank You to fireTVnews.com For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th June 2014, 11:03 PM   |  #22  
Thanks Meter: 20

87 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireTVnews.com

Are you using windows? Try installing the Kindle Fire usb drivers via the Android SDK Manager. Instructions can be found here.

I had to restart my FTV like 5 times before windows recognized it in fastboot mode. With that being said, like fireTVnews mentioned there is not much you can do with the locked bootloader or custom recovery.
20th June 2014, 01:36 AM   |  #23  
Flag Ocean City, NJ
Thanks Meter: 161

964 posts
More
Someone mentioned in the ota links thread that the official ota could be side loaded. Does anyone know how to do it? I tried but couldn't get it to work
20th June 2014, 03:22 AM   |  #24  
Long Island, NY
Thanks Meter: 355

1,248 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by {ParanoiA}

Someone mentioned in the ota links thread that the official ota could be side loaded. Does anyone know how to do it? I tried but couldn't get it to work

I'd like to know what that person was referring to as well.

For other devices you have to be booted into recovery, and pick the sideload option before you can sent the update with adb sideload update.zip. FireTV update has no such options, and as far as I know can only installs updates from /cache/name_of_ota_update.bin, which is only writable by root, and is of no use when you can't boot the rom. Also the stock recovery doesn't seem to respond to any adb commands, either by A to A usb cable, or over IP address.
Last edited by Luxferro; 20th June 2014 at 03:48 AM.
30th June 2014, 04:30 AM   |  #25  
Thanks Meter: 21

66 posts
Debricked with recovery mode
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrascal

Anyone have the steps to take to preform a hard reset of fix a non booting device?

I am stuck on the amazon Fire TV part where the boot animation is doing nothing. Can't get past this screen and have been stuck for the last 10 minutes.

Recovery MODE might help

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2799779
22nd August 2014, 05:20 AM   |  #26  
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
entering Recovery Mode and Factory Reset the Amazon Fire TV
source: www . aftvnews . com /how-to-unbrick-by-entering-recovery-mode-and-factory-reset-the-amazon-fire-tv/

If you’ve managed to brick your Fire TV or for whatever reason are unable to get to the settings menu to perform a factory reset, here is how to enter recovery mode without fully booting into the Fire TV’s operating system.

To do this you will need a USB keyboard with a “Print Screen” or “SysRq” key. Mac keyboards generally do not have this key so will not work. Before you get started, plug the USB keyboard into the Fire TV and unplug the Fire TV’s power. Now plug the power in and while the Fire TV is booting, you need to press the following 3 keys simultaneously: Alt + Print Screen + i

Pressing those 3 keys sends a “kill all tasks” command to the Fire TV. If you kill all tasks during boot up enough times, the Fire TV will enter Androids default Recovery Mode. So after pressing Alt + Print Screen + i, the Fire TV will flicker and restart the boot up process. While it’s trying to boot up the second time, press Alt + Print Screen + i again. A good time to press it is as soon as you see the colorful Fire TV logo. Repeat this process several times, pressing Alt + Print Screen + i during boot, until the Fire TV displays the message “The System Update was not successful.” When you see this message, you are now in Recovery Mode. Note that depending on your TV, the colorful Fire TV logo may appear off screen, so you’ll need to guess when it appears.

Once on the “Update was not successful” screen, press the Home key on your keyboard. This should bring up a menu in the upper left corner. If a menu doesn’t appear, press Alt + Print Screen + i one more time. The screen will go black and then return to the “System Update was not successful” screen. Pressing the Home key should now definitely bring up the menu. Once you see the menu, use the arrow keys on the keyboard to highlight the factory reset option and hit enter.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread