Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,042 Members 47,520 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[SOFTWARE] [GUIDE]***Odin Back To Stock*** Retail Verizon S5 NCG and NE9 Firmware

Tip us?

ghostlion
Old
(Last edited by ghostlion; Today at 02:53 AM.) Reason: clarity
Thanks Meter 0
Phone Odin Failure (following this guide)

Hi all,

My first time posting in a while. I had my Verizon GS5 4.4.2 rooted with towel root which like many people, had problems with the latest OTA update.

I unrooted, and factory reset my phone to be able to attempt the latest firmware update via Kies3, but that also failed.

With that, i figured I'd give ol' Odin a try to flash to stock (since factory reset wasn't working) and this failed.

<ID:0/004> Added!!
<ID:0/004> Odin v.3 engine (ID:4)..
<ID:0/004> File analysis..
<ID:0/004> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/004> Initialzation..
<ID:0/004> Set PIT file..
<ID:0/004> DO NOT TURN OFF TARGET!!
<ID:0/004> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/004> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/004> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/004> aboot.mbn
<ID:0/004> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/004> sbl1.mbn
<ID:0/004> rpm.mbn
<ID:0/004> tz.mbn
<ID:0/004> sdi.mbn
<ID:0/004> NON-HLOS.bin
<ID:0/004> boot.img
<ID:0/004> recovery.img
<ID:0/004> system.img.ext4
<ID:0/004> FAIL! (Auth)
<ID:0/004>
<ID:0/004> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

(i have an odin screenshot but i still have less than 10 posts)

and finally, here's the error screen message after the odin failure

ODIN MODE
Product name: SM-G900V
Current Binary: Samsung Official
System Status: Official
Activation Lock (kk): OFF
qualcomm Secureboot: Enable (CSB)
AP SWERV: S1, T1, R1, A1, P1
UDC Start
Secure check fail: System

Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please use software repair assistant and try again

** I have also tried software repair assistant which mysteriously crashes half way through.
*** Using the stock .tar posted here

Any help would be wonderful. If i wasn't thorough enough, please tell me what might assist in helping me diagnose this. This turned out to be one hell of a PITA for the sake of wanting that annoying "software update" notification to go away.

~ all the best

GL

Misterxtc
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostlion View Post
Hi all,

My first time posting in a while. I had my Verizon GS5 4.4.2 rooted with towel root which like many people, had problems with the latest OTA update.

I unrooted, and factory reset my phone to be able to attempt the latest firmware update via Kies3, but that also failed.

With that, i figured I'd give ol' Odin a try to flash to stock (since factory reset wasn't working) and this failed.

<ID:0/004> Added!!
<ID:0/004> Odin v.3 engine (ID:4)..
<ID:0/004> File analysis..
<ID:0/004> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/004> Initialzation..
<ID:0/004> Set PIT file..
<ID:0/004> DO NOT TURN OFF TARGET!!
<ID:0/004> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/004> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/004> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/004> aboot.mbn
<ID:0/004> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/004> sbl1.mbn
<ID:0/004> rpm.mbn
<ID:0/004> tz.mbn
<ID:0/004> sdi.mbn
<ID:0/004> NON-HLOS.bin
<ID:0/004> boot.img
<ID:0/004> recovery.img
<ID:0/004> system.img.ext4
<ID:0/004> FAIL! (Auth)
<ID:0/004>
<ID:0/004> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

(i have an odin screenshot but i still have less than 10 posts)

and finally, here's the error screen message after the odin failure

ODIN MODE
Product name: SM-G900V
Current Binary: Samsung Official
System Status: Official
Activation Lock (kk): OFF
qualcomm Secureboot: Enable (CSB)
AP SWERV: S1, T1, R1, A1, P1
UDC Start
Secure check fail: System

Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please use software repair assistant and try again

** I have also tried software repair assistant which mysteriously crashes half way through.
*** Using the stock .tar posted here

Any help would be wonderful. If i wasn't thorough enough, please tell me what might assist in helping me diagnose this. This turned out to be one hell of a PITA for the sake of wanting that annoying "software update" notification to go away.

~ all the best

GL
Make sure you are on a Windows PC and make sure the md5 is good. Use the pit file and the tar file in Odin. Also you could try entering recovery mode, wipe cache and factory reset. I just used this file today with no problems so I know there is nothing wrong with the file. I've seen this before but I'm not sure what causes it.

ghostlion
Old
(Last edited by ghostlion; Today at 04:22 AM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterxtc View Post
Make sure you are on a Windows PC and make sure the md5 is good. Use the pit file and the tar file in Odin. Also you could try entering recovery mode, wipe cache and factory reset. I just used this file today with no problems so I know there is nothing wrong with the file. I've seen this before but I'm not sure what causes it.
So the pit file also failed in combination with the tar. I should've clarified that I do in fact use a Windows PC.

Apparently I can't boot into recovery anymore either. Using the key combination brings me back to the same firmware upgrade error screen.

I don't doubt that the .tar is clean and good to go.

Thanks for the leads, i definitely thought those options might work.

GL

**EDITS**

So I got the pit to flash properly, which opened up recovery mode again (this was inaccessible prior to flashing the pit). I cleared the cache and wiped the data/factory reset

I get the following error in recovery mode at the bottom of the screen, below a very dead looking android mascot which the words "no command" under it

E:failed to mount /system (Invalid argument)

# Manual Mode #
-- Appling Multi-CSC...
E:failed to mount /system (Invalid argument)
can't mount '/system' (Invalid argument)

went ahead and tried flashing the stock image again after that

its still failing here: <ID:0/004> system.img.ext4

(again i'm not on a mac or virtual machine)

GL

Misterxtc
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostlion View Post
So the pit file also failed in combination with the tar. I should've clarified that I do in fact use a Windows PC.

Apparently I can't boot into recovery anymore either. Using the key combination brings me back to the same firmware upgrade error screen.

I don't doubt that the .tar is clean and good to go.

Thanks for the leads, i definitely thought those options might work.

GL
Did you try turning off the thone and then hold down the vol up, home and power buttons until it says rebooting to recovery in blue at the top of the screen? You could also give Kies a try but that might be useless because you can't boot the phone. Also try these files and see if it makes a difference.

EDIT: Someone had a problem flashing in Windows 8 but it worked in 7 for them. I'm on 8.1 and have zero problems.

ghostlion
Old
(Last edited by ghostlion; Today at 08:44 AM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterxtc View Post
Did you try turning off the thone and then hold down the vol up, home and power buttons until it says rebooting to recovery in blue at the top of the screen? You could also give Kies a try but that might be useless because you can't boot the phone. Also try these files and see if it makes a difference.

EDIT: Someone had a problem flashing in Windows 8 but it worked in 7 for them. I'm on 8.1 and have zero problems.
Sorry, I actually updated in my previous post. I'm starting to feel like I should move this somewhere else. I'm trying the alternative links you sent. This is all...quite painful haha. but at least the pit's workin'

**UPDATE**

So the full .tar(s) on that page are corrupted (they aren't recognized by odin and they don't extract).
Other files from that page will flash successfully, but its not very useful since it seems the system file is what needs to be flashed. Long story short, my phone is still out of commission. Also does anyone have the samsung verizon repair assistant installs? Verizon's page is useless (won't load) and i uninstalled everything, in order to reinstall...blah...blah...it wouldn't complete past 83% no matter what I did, but its worth another shot on a different machine .