Just wanted to post that I have installed Viper4Android and it works beautifully on my rooted S5. This app is the #1 reason I root.
This app will change the way you think about sound (seriously). Every time I demo the difference to someone by turning it on and off they immediately ask me to install it for them.
Installed using directions by @docnok63
, paraphrased below for your convenience. I have only tested this app on my rooted T-mobile S5, and only with spotify (it's the only player I use). Of course you should always backup first and only you are responsible for what you do to your device.
1. Ensure you are rooted. From this point on, grant all superuser requests.
2. Download ViPER4Android FX
. Get the latest version under the "Android FX" heading.
3. Extract the 4.x .apk from the zip. If you haven't already, smart-install Busybox from the play store.
4. Move the 4.x .apk to root system/app using a root-friendly file browser of your choice. Reboot to reset permissions.
5. Launch the app (from your app drawer). Grant root to let it install drivers. I've always gone with super audio quality; I suppose it's up to you. It may ask you if it can modify some files to disable power saving...just let it happen.
6. Go straight to settings/sound/music effects (at the bottom) and toggle Viper4Android as default.
7. Open root system/build.prop using a file explorer and text editor with root access. You change three lines of code as follows. Some may already have been changed.
Ipa.decode=true should read Ipa.decode=false
tunnel.decode=true to tunnel.decode=false
lpa.use-stagefright=true to lpa.use-stagefright=false
8. Save the file and reboot once more. Open the Viper4Android app and have at the sound settings; play around until you find what works for you (just make sure to check "Enable"
). You can edit the settings as you have music playing. When you get it where you want it, toggle the enable
button and see how far you've come.
You can explore the main app thread here
for some ideas on customization.
All credit due to @viper520
, and @docnok63
All I did was paraphrase. Hope this helps someone!