Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,783,072 Members 45,218 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Towelroot

Tip us?

buhohitr
Old
Thanks Meter 1,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldjl View Post
My apologies for bringing this back up, I'm just getting around to this again after further reading into things.

First, thank you again for your help, 5ft24.

I'm not quite clear on how to avoid the unauthorized Verizon software issue. From my reading, it appears locked bootloaders were causing the problem, however, with 4.3 and 4.4 locking them up tight, what's not to trigger the Verizon warning? I'm presuming unrooting before accepting any further updates should they ever happen. These Samsungs are quite unlike my Nexus 7 in ways, which I've rooted and tinkered with quite a bit now. Color me paranoid, I guess. If my tablet sits a couple of days while I sort it out from a flashing mistake, no big deal. Losing my phone is another thing entirely, LOL!
You will received the message if you attempt to flash "unauthorized software" like custom rom, kernel, recovery or using improper tools to root such as EZ unroot etc..If your phone is rooted, before take the OTA, you need to properly unroot first. Towelroot is the safest method without trigger the message. If you rooted and removed bloatware and took the OTA, the OTA simply just failed but no unauthorized software message.
The Following User Says Thank You to buhohitr For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

prdog1
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 4,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldjl View Post
I'm presuming unrooting before accepting any further updates should they ever happen.
Whatever you do do not take another OTA update no matter how small. Towlroot will no longer root. The exploit has been patched.
TEAM MiK / TEAM CLEAN
Current Devices:
Samsung Galaxy SIII-I535
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to prdog1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

woodsticks
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by prdog1 View Post
Whatever you do do not take another OTA update no matter how small. Towlroot will no longer root. The exploit has been patched.
What is the update referencing, KK 4.4.4 ?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Free mobile app

ShapesBlue
Old
Thanks Meter 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsticks View Post
What is the update referencing, KK 4.4.4 ?

No there's a small patch from what I've been reading on top of the NE1 baseband is what prdog1 is referring to. It patches the towelroot exploit and root is no longer an option. DO NOT take any more ota updates beyond NE1

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2
VZW S3 - SOKP/MOAR
SGT2 7.0 - Mokee OS 4.4.2/SOKP
The Following User Says Thank You to ShapesBlue For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

donaldjl
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Thank you all for your help and insight.

Ugh, those cheeky buggers ruining the fun...

muiriddin
Old
Thanks Meter 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapesBlue View Post
No there's a small patch from what I've been reading on top of the NE1 baseband is what prdog1 is referring to. It patches the towelroot exploit and root is no longer an option. DO NOT take any more ota updates beyond NE1

Does it bump the version number or after you take this patch is it still listed as NE1?

ShapesBlue
Old
Thanks Meter 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by muiriddin View Post
Does it bump the version number or after you take this patch is it still listed as NE1?
There's another update/patch coming from VZW beyond NE1. That will patch towelroot and root will be unavailable

VZW S3 - SOKP/MOAR

woodsticks
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkifm View Post
yes you can delete it and make sure you have supersu installed makes things easier I just did it the other day glad at least have root again

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
[IMG][/IMG]

---------- Post added at 01:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:16 AM ----------

glad to see it's available now maybe I'll have to order it as well miss my old unlocked s3

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
By deleting, do you mean that after you have successfully rooted, you can uninstall the app completly through App Mgr and maintain root?

CZ Eddie
Old
Thanks Meter 954

DONATE TO ME
Non S3 user here. Does towelroot root the most recent ROM from Verizon as of right now?
TMO Galaxy Note 3 on ATT unlimited data plan

• bri315317's Dynamic Kat 4.4.2 ROM
  • imoseyon's LeanKernel

• Samsung Galaxy S5
  • Samsung Galaxy S4
  • Samsung Galaxy S3
  • Samsung Galaxy Skyrocket
  • Samsung Infuse
  • HTC Inspire

**** Check out my how-to DIY kickstand case!
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=52585717
**** Visit my XDA thread to help get APT-X High Definition Bluetooth Audio working in AOSP ROM's!
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2531440

ShapesBlue
Old
Thanks Meter 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by CZ Eddie View Post
Non S3 user here. Does towelroot root the most recent ROM from Verizon as of right now?
No harm in trying. I know version 1 of towelroot worked with anything dated June 3, 2014 and earlier but there were two updates after that with towelroot

VZW S3 - SOKP/MOAR