Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,756 Members 41,004 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP][4.0+] EvolveSMS

Tip us?
 
se1988
Old
#1371  
se1988's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 742
Posts: 1,355
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: All Your Base

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by mredmond2012 View Post
Hi, do you know what is not a good strategy? Making snarky replies to honest reviews from paying users rather than seeking to help resolve their problems.

Klinker Review

I really want to like EvolveSMS, but it is also true that I, as well as many other reviewers I've read, have run into many errors that make this app unstable for daily use for the average user. I will continue to use it because I don't mind tinkering with things and working out bugs, but I would never recommend my mom or friends use it--yet. Emphasis on yet because I want this app to make it, AKA, iron out the big wrinkles. Please consider how you interact with users.
You stated "Users should be warned" and figure that the developer would thank you?
"Yes, thanks for warning people from using my app, dear Sir."

Your review might have been honest, but it was a bit harsh IMO, no offense!

Also, what exactly was wrong with Klinker's response?
LG G2 D802 - Pardus
SAMSUNG GALAXY Note GT-N7000 - OmniROM
SAMSUNG GALAXY Note 10.1 GT-N8000 - Gnabo

┌───────────────────────────────────────────────── ┐
- A press of the THANKS button is worth a thousand "Thank you" posts
└───────────────────────────────────────────────── ┘
 
mredmond2012
Old
#1372  
mredmond2012's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 12
Posts: 50
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by se1988 View Post
You stated "Users should be warned" and figure that the developer would thank you?
"Yes, thanks for warning people from using my app, dear Sir."

Your review might have been honest, but it was a bit harsh IMO, no offense!
Oh, I of course didn't think that the developer would thank me. I didn't expect any reply at all. But if I did receive a reply, I would have expected it to be one to try to help investigate and resolve the issues I've been experiencing so that I might change my opinion (rating) of the app, rather than essentially call me an idiot and walk away. With as many bugs as I've experienced, I would definitely have to warn the average user that this might not be ready for him to use yet, as if he uses it now he might run into problems and never want to try it again.

The point is, customer service is important, and even if someone is a hotheaded idiot asshole, a good business needs to try to do what it can within reason to help that customer out.
Google Nexus 5 32GB
All Stock for Now
Sprint
 
se1988
Old
#1373  
se1988's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 742
Posts: 1,355
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: All Your Base

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by mredmond2012 View Post
Oh, I of course didn't think that the developer would thank me. I didn't expect any reply at all. But if I did receive a reply, I would have expected it to be one to try to help investigate and resolve the issues I've been experiencing so that I might change my opinion (rating) of the app, rather than essentially call me an idiot and walk away. With as many bugs as I've experienced, I would definitely have to warn the average user that this might not be ready for him to use yet, as if he uses it now he might run into problems and never want to try it again.

The point is, customer service is important, and even if someone is a hotheaded idiot asshole, a good business needs to try to do what it can within reason to help that customer out.
Well, Play store isn't really the place to help anyone out with anything, as most reviews never gets updated after fixes. Also, the in-app help section is pretty good.
LG G2 D802 - Pardus
SAMSUNG GALAXY Note GT-N7000 - OmniROM
SAMSUNG GALAXY Note 10.1 GT-N8000 - Gnabo

┌───────────────────────────────────────────────── ┐
- A press of the THANKS button is worth a thousand "Thank you" posts
└───────────────────────────────────────────────── ┘
 
mredmond2012
Old
#1374  
mredmond2012's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 12
Posts: 50
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by se1988 View Post
Well, Play store isn't really the place to help anyone out with anything, as most reviews never gets updated after fixes. Also, the in-app help section is pretty good.
That is true. And I'm trying to use the help section as best as I can to resolve the issues I have. Point just is, I didn't expect a reply, but if you are going to reply, just say something like "I'm sorry check the help section or contact us at ..." instead of saying something to potentially make an obviously unhappy user even more unhappy. It will probably help change bad ratings and improve the popularity of the app.
Google Nexus 5 32GB
All Stock for Now
Sprint
 
PonsAsinorem
Old
(Last edited by PonsAsinorem; Today at 04:58 PM.)
#1375  
PonsAsinorem's Avatar
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 2068
Posts: 3,969
Join Date: Sep 2010

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by mredmond2012 View Post
if I did receive a reply, I would have expected it to be one to try to help investigate and resolve the issues I've been experiencing so that I might change my opinion (rating) of the app, rather than essentially call me an idiot and walk away. With as many bugs as I've experienced, I would definitely have to warn the average user that this might not be ready for him to use yet, as if he uses it now he might run into problems and never want to try it again.

The point is, customer service is important, and even if someone is a hotheaded idiot asshole, a good business needs to try to do what it can within reason to help that customer out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mredmond2012 View Post
Point just is, I didn't expect a reply, but if you are going to reply, just say something like "I'm sorry check the help section or contact us at ..." instead of saying something to potentially make an obviously unhappy user even more unhappy. It will probably help change bad ratings and improve the popularity of the app.
Well, you are apparently under some misconceptions. Let's get these knocked out (I saved the best for last):
  1. This is not a business. This is (last time I checked, could be wrong as I'm not a part of this team) a couple of college students developing apps in their spare time for, more or less, fun and experience.
  2. Furthermore, this app is FREE. So, customer service on a FREE app? Like going to a soup kitchen and complaining about the soup.
  3. Even if this was a paid app, by the nature of the Play Store, you're buying an as-is product. If they were to drop it now or 10 years down the road, that's on them. Or are they supposed to support users for that 10 years for, let's say $4 (average price of a good app)?
  4. You rated their app 2 stars (very low), and warned users away from it and pointed to other SMS app options, and you're surprised that they didn't bend over backwards to kiss your butt and bring you back to the fold? You didn't even offer constructive criticism on how to make the app better, just, in a nutshell, called their app "EXTREMELY buggy." Most low rating users are fire and forgets. 1/2 star, "don't like it." Dev reaches out and either no response or gets it fixed, but user doesn't update rating. And as was mentioned, the Play Store is not for bug fixes and getting help.
  5. He didn't call you an idiot, even though you just strongly implied that he is a "hotheaded idiot asshole" (even though this is against Forum Rule 2.3, I'll pretend you're talking hypothetical instead of about the dev). All he said was that, according to you, "thousands and thousands of people must be wrong." And since this app is at an average 4.1 stars with 12,695 reviews, it does look like your 2 star is in the minority, which is what he called you: an unhappy user in the minority.
  6. And really, I shouldn't have to explain any of this to you, as a user here at XDA. I can see and expect this from randoms around the world, but I shouldn't from a member of a developer site. Since you seem to be struggling with this concept, allow me to direct you to The XDA Mantra: It's About the Journey (also located in my signature for easy of access).

Edit: if you have any questions about this or want to continue to debate the issue, please PM me so we don't derail this thread.


"Defending a position by citing free speech is sort of the ultimate concession;
you're saying that the most compelling thing you can say for your position is
that it's not literally illegal to express.
" ~The InterWebz
The Following User Says Thank You to PonsAsinorem For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
mredmond2012
Old
#1376  
mredmond2012's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 12
Posts: 50
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by PonsAsinorem View Post
Well, you are apparently under some misconceptions. Let's get these knocked out (I saved the best for last):
  1. This is not a business. This is (last time I checked, could be wrong as I'm not a part of this team) a couple of college students developing apps in their spare time for, more or less, fun and experience.
  2. Furthermore, this app is FREE. So, customer service on a FREE app? Like going to a soup kitchen and complaining about the soup.
  3. Even if this was a paid app, by the nature of the Play Store, you're buying an as-is product. If they were to drop it now or 10 years down the road, that's on them. Or are they supposed to support users for that 10 years for, let's say $4 (average price of a good app)?
  4. You rated their app 2 stars (very low), and warned users away from it and pointed to other SMS app options, and you're surprised that they didn't bend over backwards to kiss your butt and bring you back to the fold? You didn't even offer constructive criticism on how to make the app better, just, in a nutshell, called their app "EXTREMELY buggy." Most low rating users are fire and forgets. 1/2 star, "don't like it." Dev reaches out and either no response or gets it fixed, but user doesn't update rating. And as was mentioned, the Play Store is not for bug fixes and getting help.
  5. He didn't call you an idiot, even though you just strongly implied that he is a "hotheaded idiot asshole" (even though this is against Forum Rule 2.3, I'll pretend you're talking hypothetical instead of about the dev). All he said was that, according to you, "thousands and thousands of people must be wrong." And since this app is at an average 4.1 stars with 12,695 reviews, it does look like your 2 star is in the minority, which is what he called you: an unhappy user in the minority.
  6. And really, I shouldn't have to explain any of this to you, as a user here at XDA. I can see and expect this from randoms around the world, but I shouldn't from a member of a developer site. Since you seem to be struggling with this concept, allow me to direct you to The XDA Mantra: It's About the Journey (also located in my sig for easy of access).
I apologize. To clarify one point, I was referring hypothetically to myself as the customer being the hotheaded idiot asshole, and saying that even if a customer acts like such, a business should strive, within reason of course, to first figure out and resolve the problem before writing them off. I would never call a dev that, and I am sincerely sorry if the dev or anyone else misinterpreted that as my intention. I should have worded it better.

I did pay for both add ons, and I of course do not expect for ~$3.50 to receive endless future support, but I was under the misconception by its portfolio that this was a professional app company, which is why I called it business. However, even as college students, if you are out there marketing and selling things to people and making money, you are running a business, and even if it is primarily just a learning experience, it is still important to treat users with respect no matter how dumb the user may be. And if it is a learning experience, this is a good opportunity to learn to improve user interactions some. Even on free apps, customer service is important as much as is possible. I honestly didn't expect any response--especially not one bending over backwards for me--and I didn't have room to fully detail constructive criticism in the review other than saying it had great potential if the bugs are worked out, but receiving a response like that did surprise me because I would have expected someone working on building their platform to first want to try to help users.

Thank you for helping cool my impetuousness. I will definitely be upgrading my rating as the app improves in the future and will consider moving it to 3 stars to help support the app's development. I only ask that the dev also considers how he interacts with users in the future.
Google Nexus 5 32GB
All Stock for Now
Sprint
 
se1988
Old
#1377  
se1988's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 742
Posts: 1,355
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: All Your Base

 
DONATE TO ME
Now, let's get back on topic, shall we?
Anyone know if the dev follow this thread? I know he's pretty active on G+, but I think G+ is quite messy when it comes to keeping up with multiple discussions...
LG G2 D802 - Pardus
SAMSUNG GALAXY Note GT-N7000 - OmniROM
SAMSUNG GALAXY Note 10.1 GT-N8000 - Gnabo

┌───────────────────────────────────────────────── ┐
- A press of the THANKS button is worth a thousand "Thank you" posts
└───────────────────────────────────────────────── ┘

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes