Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,395 Members 45,931 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Build Quality Concerns

Tip us?

KJ
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3219
Everything wears if not protected.

I can't imagine build quality complaints on the device.... It's like a concept car at a car show... Amazing!
Sent from my new HTC One M8, N7, Moto X, GTab3 or S2.

Need help with poor battery life on the N5...or any device really? Lots of info in first 4 posts! >>>>
[Battery Life Help] Troubleshoot Battery Issues Here....and Tips

The Following User Says Thank You to KJ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Tej XFire
Old
(Last edited by Tej XFire; 19th August 2014 at 11:59 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten Ross View Post
So today I got back my m8, it was a long week, to update folks , firstly the repair was free which is good. On the repair all they did was replace the lens cover. The phone wasn't handled with much care, 2 scratches have been added they are only light.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Hey there.. So,you got yours from repair. Does the new cover act the same ? Mine somewhat picked up scratches again , but this time, they aren't really noticeable that much. It can be spotted by completely cleaning it with a standard glass cleaner and putting it under an led light, here I used the pc usb led light.

Those service people put scratches on my display too.

But they damaged a small portion of the side, near the top speaker grill. It was probably to open it up.

Can you tell me whether yours was treated in a similar way ? Thanks in advance.

nwgelias
Old
(Last edited by nwgelias; 20th August 2014 at 08:52 PM.)
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwmparc View Post
I now have the cracked lens on my M8. Always been in its case, never dropped or bumped.
It is with htc to see if they will repair under warranty. I don't hold out much hope to be honest. Love the phone, but they definitely have an issue with the camera
I have exactly the same problem with my M8 so I sent it to htc I hope they will fix it.

onishchuk4
Old
(Last edited by onishchuk4; 21st August 2014 at 08:43 PM.)
Thanks Meter 18
I've had mine since day one of its release on Tmobile. So far two things concern me as far as build quality. The first being the speaker grilles. The top one has started to bulge up around the front facing camera. I have to push it down to keep it flush with the display. I suspect that the glue holding it down is the culprit. The second concern is the gun metal finish. Because the case I have on it isn't perfectly sealed, sand and other small particles get trapped behind causing the paint to wear. I've had a case on the phone ever since I purchased it. Even so, I see see many small flecks on the back of the phone revealing the aluminum. Performance wise, its been a wonderful phone to use. I'm just disappointed that the build quality still seems to be achilles heel of HTC devices.

onefasttreopro
Old
Thanks Meter 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by onishchuk4 View Post
I've had mine since day one of its release on Tmobile. So far two things concern me as far as build quality. The first being the speaker grilles. The top one has started to bulge up around the front facing camera. I have to push it down to keep it flush with the display. I suspect that the glue holding it down is the culprit. The second concern is the gun metal finish. Because the case I have on it isn't perfectly sealed, sand and other small particles get trapped behind causing the paint to wear. I've had a case on the phone ever since I purchased it. Even so, I see see many small flecks on the back of the phone revealing the aluminum. Performance wise, its been a wonderful phone to use. I'm just disappointed that the build quality still seems to be achilles heel of HTC devices.
To avoid the sand etc damaging the finish I applied a clear shield over the back and THEN installed a case...it's worked flawlessly and finish has been perfect ever since. Hope that gives you an idea of how to deal with that issue in the future. Let's the aluminum show through and is protected.

Sent from my 831C using XDA Free mobile app

KJ
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3219
Maybe keep sand away from the device? 😀
Sent from my new HTC One M8, N7, Moto X, GTab3 or S2.

Need help with poor battery life on the N5...or any device really? Lots of info in first 4 posts! >>>>
[Battery Life Help] Troubleshoot Battery Issues Here....and Tips