OP chrisp6825

24th April 2014, 12:43 AM   |  #11  
Thanks Meter: 7

9 posts
More
CM11 NavDock DOES work
Quote:
Originally Posted by kschang

1) Only stock based ROMs have dock support... ANY dock support. That includes HD dock, Nav Dock, clock/desk dock, etc.

HashCode said NavDock was on the todo list for CM10 for MONTHS... until Bionic fell off the scope. So I guess that's our "last best hope".

You can work around the Nav Dock by having in-car bluetooth autorun the car mode app. Not as convenient, but tolerable.

There was a commit back around 04/08/2014 that enabled USB analog dock audio for OMAP4; there was another dock-related OMAP4 commit on 04/06/2014 as well. Since the 04/09/2014 nightly build on CM11, my Moto NavDock works - the phone automatically recognizes NavDock insertion and opens my chosen car mode app (I use IBolt as my dock screen software), and closes out from it upon removal. Audio via the dock's split USB cable functions as well. The phone successfully recognizes and sets car mode (seen in notifications), but you need a program installed to handle car mode, as otherwise it does nothing.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shakkuras For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th April 2014, 05:13 AM   |  #12  
Flag San Francisco, CA
Thanks Meter: 60

371 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakkuras

There was a commit back around 04/08/2014 that enabled USB analog dock audio for OMAP4; there was another dock-related OMAP4 commit on 04/06/2014 as well. Since the 04/09/2014 nightly build on CM11, my Moto NavDock works - the phone automatically recognizes NavDock insertion and opens my chosen car mode app (I use IBolt as my dock screen software), and closes out from it upon removal. Audio via the dock's split USB cable functions as well. The phone successfully recognizes and sets car mode (seen in notifications), but you need a program installed to handle car mode, as otherwise it does nothing.

I noticed that the 4/15 nightly of SlimKat does this too. May have to revise my statement.
24th April 2014, 08:21 AM   |  #13  
Flag San Francisco, CA
Thanks Meter: 60

371 posts
More
A couple notes on hardware...

1) It is possible to replace the trim piece (that metalic looking cover on top that goes around the screen and buttons, has the Verizon logo), you can often find it on Amazon or eBay, but it's a pretty involved process as it uses a trimmed sheet adhesive. Probably not worth the effort, just put a case on it.

2) I got the Diztronic case that fits the extended battery. Fits like a glove, cheap (about $10) feels grippy and pliant, doesn't add too much bulk (still fits into docks).

3) You can get super-extended battery that's even bigger than the BX8 extended battery, but those often requires its own battery back, and thus no longer fit into docks. If you have no docks this doesn't affect you much, except those super-sized setup are too big to fit into belt cases and such, so you'll have to carry the phone naked, and the battery backs often comes with bad tolerance problems. I bought one and I had to sand down a lot of areas to get it to fit properly.

4) If you have the extended battery, your best option for belt case is... wait for it... a Mophie Juicepack Belt Case for iPhone 5, available at most Best Buys for $29.95. It's designed for iPhone 5 with the extended battery case by Mophie, but it fits the Bionic quite well. Your other option is order one of those (p)leather cases off Amazon. There's one that has the clip AND two belt loops for under $10, and it fits surprisingly well.

5) The best car dock is still the Moto NavDock.
4th June 2014, 08:14 AM   |  #14  
Flag Guangzhou
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
More
Very useful to me,thanks a lot.

从我的 XT875 上通过 xda-developers.com 发送 powered by appyet.com
20th July 2014, 08:29 AM   |  #15  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 42

191 posts
Just wanted to note, I've moved much of my focus to a new device (moto x), and won't be paying full attention to the Bionic development anymore.

I do still have the device and am planning to use for a project in the future, although it's battery is seriously shot (wont hold a charge for more than 7 hours, even with screen off the whole time).
I still checkout the various forums I used to frequent over the years, but I know that will become less and less over time.

If anyone spots any out-dated info in this thread, please feel free to post here or PM me to let me know, and I'll update the original posts. I'm glad this thread was able to help a few people, and I hope it continues to help long after activity dies and info is buried.

Live long Bionic scene, the most helpful/entertaining/surprising phone group I've been a part of. lol
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisp6825 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th August 2014, 12:00 PM   |  #16  
Flag Harrisburg
Thanks Meter: 2

15 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisp6825

Just wanted to note, I've moved much of my focus to a new device (moto x), and won't be paying full attention to the Bionic development anymore.

I do still have the device and am planning to use for a project in the future, although it's battery is seriously shot (wont hold a charge for more than 7 hours, even with screen off the whole time).
I still checkout the various forums I used to frequent over the years, but I know that will become less and less over time.

If anyone spots any out-dated info in this thread, please feel free to post here or PM me to let me know, and I'll update the original posts. I'm glad this thread was able to help a few people, and I hope it continues to help long after activity dies and info is buried.

Live long Bionic scene, the most helpful/entertaining/surprising phone group I've been a part of. lol

Thanks again for doing this, you may be moving to greater things but your legacy lives in the Bionic forums
22nd August 2014, 06:59 AM   |  #17  
Flag Anaheim
Thanks Meter: 0

5 posts
More
Confirm Alt Root Method
Quote:

Root

As of this post, there is only one root method for Bionics on the official JB firmware. The method requires a Linux installation, and uses a samba share exploit. There is NO way to get around this requirement, though it is possible to run a Virtual Machine on top of Windows to achieve this.
An alternative way to root may be to use "safe root". I am unfamiliar to this method and haven't tried it myself. A youtube video shows the process. I haven't come across any threads detailing any further (feel free to tip me if you find any).

I just wanted to confirm that the second method in the Rootjunky YouTube video above does work as advertised. Much simpler than setting up a Linux VM. Thanks for all of the info.
23rd August 2014, 10:47 PM   |  #18  
Thanks Meter: 3

26 posts
More
I think towelroot was also reported to work. IIRC, it is for Android 4.4.2 and lower.

edit: ok, maybe not - I just tried it on one. (unless there is a modstring you can enter in the app in the place you enter those to get it working on this phone)
Last edited by ShadyDreamer; 28th August 2014 at 11:37 PM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
bionic, faq, guide
Previous Thread Next Thread