Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,802,856 Members 37,819 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Galaxy Note 8, 4.3 and Hulu problems?

Tip us?

mach281
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Update: I installed civato's 1.9 rom (released 8-4 with kernel 5.4) and tested Hulu again. I still have very low frame rates that make it unusable. In addition, a new "sputtering" motion is affecting all apps during scrolling. Someone suggested installing the old kernel 5.1 which I shall try since clear all caches did not help.

Still hoping to hear from civato on this.

ramjet73
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 5,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach281 View Post
Update: I installed civato's 1.9 rom (released 8-4 with kernel 5.4) and tested Hulu again. I still have very low frame rates that make it unusable. In addition, a new "sputtering" motion is affecting all apps during scrolling. Someone suggested installing the old kernel 5.1 which I shall try since clear all caches did not help.

Still hoping to hear from civato on this.
I just tried Hulu+ again on my N5110 and it works fine with FlexNote 1.9 without pauses or stuttering as long as I disable AdAway.

It might be a problem with your router or ISP (some are known to degrade service level for streaming sites) but I doubt that there's anything civato can do about it. Have you tried it with WiFi at another location that has a strong signal and high speed Internet connection?

ramjet73

mach281
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramjet73 View Post
I just tried Hulu+ again on my N5110 and it works fine with FlexNote 1.9 without pauses or stuttering as long as I disable AdAway.

It might be a problem with your router or ISP (some are known to degrade service level for streaming sites) but I doubt that there's anything civato can do about it. Have you tried it with WiFi at another location that has a strong signal and high speed Internet connection?

ramjet73
Hmmm. I don't have AdAway installed. No issues with router or ISP - Hulu streams fine on my Mac and using Chromecast on the same broadband network. I'll keep searching for a solution. It's not significant enough for me to go back to 4.2.2.

Incidentally, the sputtered (i.e. jerky) scrolling of FlexNote 1.9 that I was experiencing is improved and smoother after re-installing civato's SphereKat 5.1 kernel. While better it is still not as smooth as I remember with FN 1.8 or the 4.2.2 ROM.

Thanks ramjet73!

ramjet73
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 5,573
Quote:
Incidentally, the sputtered (i.e. jerky) scrolling of FlexNote 1.9 that I was experiencing is improved and smoother after re-installing civato's SphereKat 5.1 kernel. While better it is still not as smooth as I remember with FN 1.8 or the 4.2.2 ROM.

Thanks ramjet73!
Hmmm...

It sounds like you might want to try a clean flash of 1.9 if you haven't done that already. I believe the wipe option for that is "prepare for new ROM" in Philz Touch and "factory reset" in TWRP.

ramjet73

mach281
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Hmmm...

It sounds like you might want to try a clean flash of 1.9 if you haven't done that already. I believe the wipe option for that is "prepare for new ROM" in Philz Touch and "factory reset" in TWRP.

ramjet73
Took your advice, ramjet. Over the weekend I did a clean install of 1.9. Unfortunately nothing made Hulu play better. Their commercials do seem to work fine though.

I did come to a definitive conclusion about the visual sputtering that some other users also mentioned in the developer's forum. After going back and forth several times between civato's 5.1 kernel and his FlexNote's built-in 5.4 kernel, I have verified that the sputtering was indeed introduced with the kernel update. It is most visible when I slowly drag a widget back-and-forth across the screen. Some users may less attuned to it because, frankly, it is rather subtle but it is there. So I am staying with 5.1 for the time being.

Thanks.

ramjet73
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 5,573
Quote:
Took your advice, ramjet. Over the weekend I did a clean install of 1.9. Unfortunately nothing made Hulu play better. Their commercials do seem to work fine though.
There's a new version of Hulu+ in the Play Store today (2.15.0.201802). Maybe that will work better for you.

Also, @civato has released 2.0 of the FlexNote ROM with a new kernel.

ramjet73

mach281
Old
(Last edited by mach281; 24th August 2014 at 03:40 PM.) Reason: grammar
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
There's a new version of Hulu+ in the Play Store today (2.15.0.201802). Maybe that will work better for you.

Also, @civato has released 2.0 of the FlexNote ROM with a new kernel.

ramjet73

Hey, ramjet. Just want to document my latest findings here in case anyone else (or the OP) has these issues. I upgraded to the FlexNote 2.0 ROM and the latest Hulu app. The result was no change for Hulu playback and the OS sputtering returned. I downgraded the kernel to civato's 5.1 and the sputtering went away for the most part.

Last week I decided to do a little more experimentation. I installed two AOSP derived ROMs, first Dirty Unicorns then CM, both of which are based on Android 4.4.4. Dirty Unicorns was the more feature filled but was missing some things that I needed.

The results were a little surprising to me. The responsiveness of the OS greatly improved from the standard ROM - everything is faster, even without overclocking. The sputtering is completely absent. Some apps still observe much scrolling stutters such as the NYTimes app but this seems to be app related rather than attributable to the OS. In fact, the typical stutters I have always observed are almost entirely gone - everything is smoother.

Oh yeah, Hulu works perfectly now. I can only conclude that 4.4.2 ultimately caused the Hulu problem.

Summary: I will remain on CM for the time being. Overall it is a more pleasant experience. I do miss a few Samsung derived apps such as S-note and MultiWindow, but not terribly so. There are S-note alternatives. I always used an alternative launcher anyway. If I had a larger tablet the MW feature would be more important but it is not so much with the Note 8. Besides I have always found MW to be rather flaky - apps I added to the available list somehow always disappeared. The last time I used it it sent the device into a boot loop which started this latest quest for a better tablet experience.

The Following User Says Thank You to mach281 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]