Welcome to the New XDA-Developers Portal!

You may recall that a few weeks ago, we opened up the XDA-2015 forum themesto intrepid users … more

An Android Enthusiast’s Apple iPhone 6 Challenge

The media has gone batty again over Apple “revolutionizing” smartphones. … more

Sony to Extend its AOSP Program to Other Devices

Sony will be offering its users the possibility to use AOSP ROMs as an alternative to the … more

Project Ara: Modified Android L and Hot Swapping

Project Ara is a very exciting topic–both for hardware and software enthusiasts. The … more

DNA Committed Suicide in my Pocket

13th June 2014, 08:04 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 46

216 posts
More
Sigh... I loved my DNA, I really did. I treated it so well, barely a hairline scratch on it's screen.

It clearly didn't love me back. Yesterday on the train, I slipped it into my pocket, only to take it out minutes later and find the screen shattered into dozens of pieces.

How did it happen? I didn't bump anything, it wasn't hot or cold, it wasn't even being used. Just popped in my pocket, I didn't even notice...

I googled and found this thread on Verizon's forum. Seems I'm not alone.

I have no insurance, so it's either pay ~$150 to repair it, buy a used replacement on Swappa, or upgrade...

My verizon upgrade isn't until November, but I picked up a One M8 for a decent price on Swappa.

So long valiant Droid DNA... you were great while you lasted... Hopefully the M8 doesn't follow it this one's footsteps!
13th June 2014, 08:41 PM   |  #2  
Flag Kendall
Thanks Meter: 114

329 posts
More
Wow!!! I've not heard of this happening before. Myself and two friends have all had the DNA for about a year without any issues. We live in western New York where the temperatures can fluctuate quite rapidly in the winter. Thanks for the info, I'll be more aware of his and where I store and use my phone this winter.
14th June 2014, 02:48 PM   |  #3  
Flag Amston
Thanks Meter: 154

1,087 posts
More
Does sound like your not alone. But Verizon really doesn't care about their customers so just like everyone else in the thread I doubt they will help you out. And if your out of your one year warranty HTC will fix it but will charge you. Good luck with your new phone. I hope it never happens again to you.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
14th June 2014, 03:10 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 59

215 posts
More
Wow. That's a terrifying thread right there. That's the first I've ever heard of the issue. I'm terrified now.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
26th June 2014, 08:40 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 0

9 posts
That's no good. I just got my screen replaced. Granted, I tried slipping into my coat pocket & missed, sending it crashing to the cold hard pavement below..
24th August 2014, 09:25 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 1

48 posts
More
Possibly this is a manufacture defect of the glass screen. The glass became very brittle with heat (from battery and board ) and cold temperatures (from outside)

If you heat up a glass and then put cold water on it, you will get that cracking pattern. I think this a problem with the glass quality.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread