Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,786,823 Members 41,724 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP][4.2+][ROOT] SecondScreen - optimize your Android for the big screen

Tip us?

farmerbb
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 256

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargate125645 View Post
After frequent use without bugs or crashes, I can only think of one comment, and it is a feature request: Can we select which profiles to have as options pop up when HDMI is detected? I only ever use one profile, and accidental clicks of the others really screws things up. When I'm driving, I can't really fix it safely so I have to wait to stop and it's a pain. I have never gotten DPI settings to work with my phone and the low resolution car head unit, so avoiding hitting the wrong one is a must. I do have some profiles I use outside of the car which I can select manually.

Edit: I guess there is one bug to report, but it never really causes any problems; it just doesn't make sense. When you connect to a device via HDMI, but pop up window that lets you select which profile to activate (i.e. the menu I would like customizable as noted above), it also offers a resolution which never seems to correlate to anything. I'm not sure what it's supposed to be, but it's not consistent despite my using SecondScreen with the same two devices 90% of the time.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I am probably not going to make the "Display connected" menu customizable. I don't think that there are enough people that would have the need to customize that menu (people that use more than just a few profiles), and there are other ways to effectively achieve what you want to do (for example, disabling the auto-start feature and just using homescreen shortcuts to your most used profiles). What I could do is add the confirmation dialog that appears when clicking profiles in the main app, but that takes away from the fast, "one-click" feel that the dialog is supposed to have.

I admit that SecondScreen's auto-start feature isn't as perfect or as robust as it ought to be and I'm not 100% satisfied with it, so I do welcome any suggestions for making it better.

The resolution value that appears on the "Display connected" dialog is the resolution that Android detects your external display to be. However, I have found that in cases where the display isn't a standard TV or monitor (projectors, for example, and most likely the AppRadio as well) this value will likely be different from the actual resolution of the display. Regardless of the actual resolution, Android will always output at whatever resolution appears in the dialog box (for example, a 1024x768 projector that Android detects as a 1920x1080 connection will always output as 1920x1080, so you should treat it as if it were actually a 1920x1080 display).
SecondScreen - optimize your Android for the big screen

(16GB + LTE)   

ROM: Android 4.4.4 (stock + root)
Kernel: franco.Kernel + USB-OTG    
Recovery: TWRP + MultiROM
(2013) (32GB + Wi-Fi)    

Kernel: franco.Kernel

stargate125645
Old
Thanks Meter 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerbb View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, but I am probably not going to make the "Display connected" menu customizable. I don't think that there are enough people that would have the need to customize that menu (people that use more than just a few profiles), and there are other ways to effectively achieve what you want to do (for example, disabling the auto-start feature and just using homescreen shortcuts to your most used profiles). What I could do is add the confirmation dialog that appears when clicking profiles in the main app, but that takes away from the fast, "one-click" feel that the dialog is supposed to have.

I admit that SecondScreen's auto-start feature isn't as perfect or as robust as it ought to be and I'm not 100% satisfied with it, so I do welcome any suggestions for making it better.

The resolution value that appears on the "Display connected" dialog is the resolution that Android detects your external display to be. However, I have found that in cases where the display isn't a standard TV or monitor (projectors, for example, and most likely the AppRadio as well) this value will likely be different from the actual resolution of the display. Regardless of the actual resolution, Android will always output at whatever resolution appears in the dialog box (for example, a 1024x768 projector that Android detects as a 1920x1080 connection will always output as 1920x1080, so you should treat it as if it were actually a 1920x1080 display).
Confirmation box is really just a bandaid so I wouldn't bother implementing it. Thanks though.

mikek753
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Default Sansung S3?

Hello Op,

were you able to find a way to turn off Samsung S3 screen?

tnx
Best Regards.
Mike

Samsung S3, S3Rx 3.0 TouchWiz 4.3 MJB (4-13-14) with dkp (FastCharge over MHL), Samsung MHL 2.0 with 2A charger, Pioneer x8500bhs (car)

farmerbb
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 256

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikek753 View Post
Hello Op,

were you able to find a way to turn off Samsung S3 screen?

tnx
No, Samsung's kernel doesn't allow for it.
SecondScreen - optimize your Android for the big screen

(16GB + LTE)   

Kernel: franco.Kernel + USB-OTG    
(2013) (32GB + Wi-Fi)    

Kernel: franco.Kernel
Tags
chromecast, display, hdmi, mhl, slimport