4.4.4 System, Boot and FOTAKernel Images

OP DooMLoRD

12th July 2014, 08:52 PM   |  #21  
Thanks Meter: 49

66 posts
Hey guys, I am not at all new to android, flashing roms/kernels/working with recovery, but this phone legitimately confuses me.

At the moment I have a zu gpe with an unlocked bootloader. No root running stock 4.4.4.

I want to do this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...5&postcount=12

but, his instructions immediately screw me up because he mentions starting out with 4.4.3. I don't have a custom recovery, and apparently the kernel has to be baked in with the recovery (which makes 0 sense to me)?

I'm coming from experience with the m7/s3 (d2spr)/s4(jflte) with a smattering of working with the note 2, and before that the htc evo 4g (supersonic).

Ok, so... I'm fairly well versed, but this phone and methods used confuse the hell out of me.

Can someone tell me exactly what I need to do to get custom (preferably dual) recoveries on this phone so that I can flash cm11 (hoping cm11 fixes the damn camera)?

Thanks for any/all help.
12th July 2014, 11:06 PM   |  #22  
Flag Te Awamutu, New Zealand
Thanks Meter: 1,243

2,803 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forboding Angel

Hey guys, I am not at all new to android, flashing roms/kernels/working with recovery, but this phone legitimately confuses me.

At the moment I have a zu gpe with an unlocked bootloader. No root running stock 4.4.4.

I want to do this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...5&postcount=12

but, his instructions immediately screw me up because he mentions starting out with 4.4.3. I don't have a custom recovery, and apparently the kernel has to be baked in with the recovery (which makes 0 sense to me)?

I'm coming from experience with the m7/s3 (d2spr)/s4(jflte) with a smattering of working with the note 2, and before that the htc evo 4g (supersonic).

Ok, so... I'm fairly well versed, but this phone and methods used confuse the hell out of me.

Can someone tell me exactly what I need to do to get custom (preferably dual) recoveries on this phone so that I can flash cm11 (hoping cm11 fixes the damn camera)?

Thanks for any/all help.

As you have already unlocked the BL all you need to do is flash a boot.img from flashtool or fastboot. If you want to do a nandroid before flashing CM11 then you can hot boot the boot.img, so I'll give you that method:
  1. Extract boot.img from chosen ROM and save on PC
  2. Copy ROM to internal SD somewhere (Carbon & Omni all have working camera, not sure about CM but it should)
  3. Boot into fastboot mode
    • Power off phone
    • Connect to PC while holding vol up
  4. Hot boot boot.img:
    • "fastboot boot boot.img"
    or
    • Flashtool => Flash => Fastboot => Hotboot boot.img
  5. Enter recovery when LED goes purple during boot by pressing vol up
  6. Make nandroid backup
  7. Wipe /data and both caches
  8. Flash ROM
  9. Reboot
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blueether For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th July 2014, 11:11 PM   |  #23  

66 posts
Awesome, thanks for the help!

I am, however, still confused about the recovery issues. Wouldn't your instructions cause me to end up with cm11 (or whatever other rom) with a stock recovery?

I dislike that as I prefer to have all of the abilities and features provided by TWRP (specifically) or cwm.

Or am I missing something really basic here?
12th July 2014, 11:33 PM   |  #24  

2,803 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Awesome, thanks for the help!

I am, however, still confused about the recovery issues. Wouldn't your instructions cause me to end up with cm11 (or whatever other rom) with a stock recovery?

I dislike that as I prefer to have all of the abilities and features provided by TWRP (specifically) or cwm.

Or am I missing something really basic here?

on the xperia (and other sony?) phones we have to bake recovery into the boot.img, the GPe is different in that it has a full stock recovery as the ZU doesn't. The boot.img from ROMs for the GPe still has a recovery baked in to the boot image. So flashing a boot.img will give you a custom recovery. In the case of CM and Carbon that is CWM and I think Omni uses TWRP. This custom recovery doesn't overwrite the stock one.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blueether For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th July 2014, 11:46 PM   |  #25  

66 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueether

on the xperia (and other sony?) phones we have to bake recovery into the boot.img, the GPe is different in that it has a full stock recovery as the ZU doesn't. The boot.img from ROMs for the GPe still has a recovery baked in to the boot image. So flashing a boot.img will give you a custom recovery. In the case of CM and Carbon that is CWM and I think Omni uses TWRP. This custom recovery doesn't overwrite the stock one.

Someone should sticky this and put it in giant red text at the top of this subforum. It answers 99% of the questions I imagine most people have when coming here and trying to figure out a new environment.
13th July 2014, 12:42 AM   |  #26  

2,803 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Someone should sticky this and put it in giant red text at the top of this subforum. It answers 99% of the questions I imagine most people have when coming here and trying to figure out a new environment.

Adding to the GPe guide
The Following User Says Thank You to blueether For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th August 2014, 06:28 AM   |  #27  
Thanks Meter: 3

40 posts
I'm running a locked bootloader so I can't do the img files (I think!) Is there any 4.4.4 full stock/signed zip that I can flash through normal recovery? I fiddled with my sound and completely have no sound and want to try to restore but can't seem to find a full rom (not an incremental OTA)

I just want a stock zip. When I try to use the 4.4.2 it says I can't downgrade
25th August 2014, 01:56 PM   |  #28  
Thanks Meter: 186

349 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by egzthunder1

Preview comes out ok as the hardware does initialize. The issue is, from what I have seen and other who may have corroborated this, is the AF on the camera. You see, photosphere actually works well, just not the regular camera. Someone else mentioned that apps using infinity focus work as well.

My guess is that something in 4.4.3 and 4.4.4 (maybe in the kernel?) is looking for the missing DRM keys from devices with unlocked BL. Several people have already stated that they have no issues with their cameras, with the only difference being the locked bootloader in their devices. Considering that Sony had done something similar with the Z1 last year, I would not be surprised if it was the case here as well. Not sure why this would be the case for a GPE unit as it has no proprietary software (other than X-Reality)...

As I said, nothing but a guess albeit it does make sense (to me anyways).

I have an unlocked bootloader and my camera takes pictures fine. Just used these images yesterday. I don't believe it is explicitly the bootloader being locked/unlocked causing it.
25th August 2014, 02:00 PM   |  #29  
Thanks Meter: 618

1,715 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJ951

I have an unlocked bootloader and my camera takes pictures fine. Just used these images yesterday. I don't believe it is explicitly the bootloader being locked/unlocked causing it.

Were you on 4.4.2 when you unlocked bootloader?
25th August 2014, 11:39 PM   |  #30  
Thanks Meter: 186

349 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adfurgerson

Were you on 4.4.2 when you unlocked bootloader?

Was on 4.4.4. That's probably why then

The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisJ951 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread