MOTO G won't charge.

Search This thread

drag00n619

Apr 30, 2013
Islamabad
Hey guys! So I was using my Moto G at about 55% charge when I locked the screen. Came back and found it turned off. I thought it was very strange as it couldn't have turned off due to the battery. But as I tried to turn it on again it showed no response. Plugged my Samsung charger in (5v-0.7A) and the battery icon came up with "0%" beneath it. So I let it charge. Checked about an hour late, it was still at 0%. Holding down the power button didn't work. Tried the VOL DOWN+POWER button combination too, didn't work. Nothing's working. This has been going on since the last 5 days. Today I plugged in the original charger and the LED light blinked a lot at first. Then the icon came up and then the screen turned off, and the LED light is constantly blinking like normal. This gives me a bit of hope. But the button combinations still do not work.

So, can anyone please help me out? I still haven't tried the freezer option. Will that work? Is it safe?

Also, this is my daily driver. I can't return this phone nor can I claim any warranty. I need this phone and will do everything to get it back to its old self.

Hope I can get it back to its working condition with the help of the amazing people here on xda :)

Thank you!

drag00n619

Apr 30, 2013
Islamabad
Hey guys! So I was using my Moto G at about 55% charge when I locked the screen. Came back and found it turned off. I thought it was very strange as it couldn't have turned off due to the battery. But as I tried to turn it on again it showed no response. Plugged my Samsung charger in (5v-0.7A) and the battery icon came up with "0%" beneath it. So I let it charge. Checked about an hour late, it was still at 0%. Holding down the power button didn't work. Tried the VOL DOWN+POWER button combination too, didn't work. Nothing's working. This has been going on since the last 5 days. Today I plugged in the original charger and the LED light blinked a lot at first. Then the icon came up and then the screen turned off, and the LED light is constantly blinking like normal. This gives me a bit of hope. But the button combinations still do not work.

So, can anyone please help me out? I still haven't tried the freezer option. Will that work? Is it safe?

Also, this is my daily driver. I can't return this phone nor can I claim any warranty. I need this phone and will do everything to get it back to its old self.

Hope I can get it back to its working condition with the help of the amazing people here on xda :)

Thank you!

And some things I forgot to mention: The phone is totally stock, running KitKat 4.4.4. It's the XT1033. And the original charger's output rating is: 5V-500mA.

oversleeper

Jun 24, 2014
Melbourne
And some things I forgot to mention: The phone is totally stock, running KitKat 4.4.4. It's the XT1033. And the original charger's output rating is: 5V-500mA.

It's a known battery bug, sometimes happens... I resolved using the Motorola AC/DC original charger, just leaving it connected for 2 hours then I long pressed the power button (for about 10-15 seconds) until I saw the battery icon. If this doesn't work you could try to open (carefully) your device with a screwdriver, unplug the battery (very easy, you will find a tutorial on YouTube), wait 5 min, plug it again and reassemble it.

drag00n619

Apr 30, 2013
Islamabad
It's a known battery bug, sometimes happens... I resolved using the Motorola AC/DC original charger, just leaving it connected for 2 hours then I long pressed the power button (for about 10-15 seconds) until I saw the battery icon. If this doesn't work you could try to open (carefully) your device with a screwdriver, unplug the battery (very easy, you will find a tutorial on YouTube), wait 5 min, plug it again and reassemble it.

Yea, its charging continuously since an hour now and the LED light is blinking. Will try what you just suggested and will give an update.

hhp_211

May 15, 2008
I've been having this issue today as well.
I am Rooted, bootloader unlocked, and running custom ROMs. XT1031CDMA Boost Model

If I leave on charger it just keeps looping to the white 0% screen then vibrates and trys again, endlessly.
[even to the point of being dangerously hot]

one thing that finally worked for me was this.
I already found out if you hold Vol Down while plugging in , then releasing Vol Down, will quickly take you to fastboot screen [haven't seen this mentioned before]

So I would start with that and choose recovery, which would fail because there was not enough battery charge.

I found that if I unplugged the charger and plugged it back in before it vibrated it finally came up to the black screen with the colored 1% charging screen and now it is taking a charge again.
Which you can verify the charging percentage by pressing the Vol Down button

It took me several attempts to get this right, so just keep trying to unplug/plug during the time after you have chosen to boot to recovery from fastboot mode.

[[also there may have been a Vol Down button press needed too. I am trying to remember all the things and I was trying a lot of different combinations to get it to charge again, so please let me know if that ultimately does or does not work]]

Reactions: 3RAN7ON

drag00n619

Apr 30, 2013
Islamabad
Is this cable the same you have used to charge before? Its weird but some cables will not charge my moto G, even tho I can charge other devices with them

Using the Samsung charger, it just shows the 0% and the battery icon. But when I use the original Motorola charger, the white notification light starts blinking. Don't know how this happens. But the light gives me hope that the system is actually working and nothing is wrong with that. But why does the light blink only when I plug in the original charger?

drag00n619

Apr 30, 2013
Islamabad
I am Rooted, bootloader unlocked, and running custom ROMs. XT1031CDMA Boost Model

If I leave on charger it just keeps looping to the white 0% screen then vibrates and trys again, endlessly.

I already found out if you hold Vol Down while plugging in , then releasing Vol Down, will quickly take you to fastboot screen [haven't seen this mentioned before]

So I would start with that and choose recovery, which would fail because there was not enough battery charge.

I found that if I unplugged the charger and plugged it back in before it vibrated it finally came up to the black screen with the colored 1% charging screen and now it is taking a charge again.

It took me several attempts to get this right, so just keep trying to unplug/plug during the time after you have chosen to boot to recovery from fastboot mode.

[[also there may have been a Vol Down button press needed too. I am trying to remember all the things and I was trying a lot of different combinations to get it to charge again, so please let me know if that ultimately does or does not work]]

The thing is that as soon as I unplug, it turns off because there's absolutely no charge. The fastboot mode also shows "Battery Low".
So when I select recovery it immediately goes to the 0% battery icon screen. Still, I'll keep on trying your method.
What I am trying to figure out now, is that why both different chargers show different behaviour of the phone? Like, using the Samsung one, when I select recovery it goes to the battery icon and using thd original charger it goes to a black screen and the notification light starts blinking. Do you know anything about it? 1409073046794.jpg

Last edited:

hhp_211

May 15, 2008
The thing is that as soon as I unplug, it turns off because there's absolutely no charge. The fastboot mode also shows "Battery Low".
So when I select recovery it immediately goes to the 0% battery icon screen. Still, I'll keep on trying your method.
What I am trying to figure out now, is that why both different chargers show different behaviour of the phone? Like, using the Samsung ons, when I select recovery it goes to the battery icon and using thd original charger it goes to a black screen answer the notification light starts blinking. Do you know anything about it?
I don't know a ton about it, just been battling with various stares of battery issues...
1st time I have had it no not accept a charge though...

""The thing is that as soon as I unplug, it turns off because there's absolutely no charge. The fastboot mode also shows "Battery Low".
So when I select recovery it immediately goes to the 0% battery icon screen.""
that is exactly what mine was doing...

don't you get a vibration in between when you select recovery and when the white 0% screen comes on?

drag00n619

Apr 30, 2013
Islamabad
I don't know a ton about it, just been battling with various stares of battery issues...
1st time I have had it no not accept a charge though...

""The thing is that as soon as I unplug, it turns off because there's absolutely no charge. The fastboot mode also shows "Battery Low".
So when I select recovery it immediately goes to the 0% battery icon screen.""
that is exactly what mine was doing...

don't you get a vibration in between when you select recovery and when the white 0% screen comes on?

No, I don't get any vibration :/

drag00n619

Apr 30, 2013
Islamabad
Ok, can anyone tell me why my notification light blinks when I pkug in my original charger? It's definitely not charging so then what is it indicating?

hhp_211

May 15, 2008
No, I don't get any vibration :/
I feel sure thats how I was doing it

plug charger into phone
VOL DOWN+POWER button combination for 2:00 + minutes
then release,
phone enters fastboot mode, shows "low Battery'
press 'vol down' to recovery
press 'vol'up' to proceed

wait for fastboot screen to turn off
quickly unplug charger and re-plug in charger

as far as I know it flashes the white led when it has shutdown because of low battery
I believe you have to perform the
to get phone out of the 'state' it is on to be able to accept charging mode again

drag00n619

Apr 30, 2013
Islamabad
I feel sure thats how I was doing it

plug charger into phone
then release,
phone enters fastboot mode, shows "low Battery'
press 'vol down' to recovery
press 'vol'up' to proceed

wait for fastboot screen to turn off
quickly unplug charger and re-plug in charger

as far as I know it flashes the white led when it has shutdown because of low battery
I believe you have to perform the
to get phone out of the 'state' it is on to be able to accept charging mode again

So, I tried it again.
Got to the fastboot mode but as soon as I select recovery, it goes back to the 0% screen. There's even no vibration. I only get time to turn the switch on and off directly from the wall.
But I'll keep on trying it and hopefully it will work.
Also, this is the system that is stopping the battery from getting charged, right?

hhp_211

May 15, 2008
So, I tried it again.
Got to the fastboot mode but as soon as I select recovery, it goes back to the 0% screen. There's even no vibration. I only get time to turn the switch on and off directly from the wall.
But I'll keep on trying it and hopefully it will work.
Also, this is the system that is stopping the battery from getting charged, right?

I only get time to turn the switch on and off directly from the wall.
just unplug from bottom of device as quickly after you tap the vol up button, then plug right back in

3RAN7ON

Nov 12, 2013
Phoenix
The battery software bug on the G is well known over at Moto- although your case puts a new twist on it :) If you haven't already, check out the forums at their website. The Moto engineers, devs, and other employees regularly cruise those threads and even respond occasionally. Point being, because it is a well known issue, if you can't get some assistance, they will replace your device with their warranty exchange service. I had to do that with my first G and it took less than 48 hrs to get my new phone to me. free. YES it was a rooted and unlocked phone I was exchanging for a brand new device. Because we have to email Moto to get the unlock code, I has apprehensive that the customer service rep would know that mine was UL and tell me I'm SOL. But no, Moto is cool like that. They didn't ask any of those questions and I didn't volunteer the info! So when my new phone came, I UL that & restored a nandroid and have been good to go. That was like 5 months ago.
I tell you all this to say, cheer up my friend! there is light at the end of the tunnel. Talk to Moto.

drag00n619

Apr 30, 2013
Islamabad
just unplug from bottom of device as quickly after you tap the vol up button, then plug right back in

Still nothing :(

One thing I did notice was that, using the original charger, when I select Recovery using the power button it shows a black screen for some time and then goes to the 0% screen. And if I select it with the Vol UP button, it immediately goes to the 0% screen.

drag00n619

Apr 30, 2013
Islamabad
The battery software bug on the G is well known over at Moto- although your case puts a new twist on it :) If you haven't already, check out the forums at their website. The Moto engineers, devs, and other employees regularly cruise those threads and even respond occasionally. Point being, because it is a well known issue, if you can't get some assistance, they will replace your device with their warranty exchange service. I had to do that with my first G and it took less than 48 hrs to get my new phone to me. free. YES it was a rooted and unlocked phone I was exchanging for a brand new device. Because we have to email Moto to get the unlock code, I has apprehensive that the customer service rep would know that mine was UL and tell me I'm SOL. But no, Moto is cool like that. They didn't ask any of those questions and I didn't volunteer the info! So when my new phone came, I UL that & restored a nandroid and have been good to go. That was like 5 months ago.
I tell you all this to say, cheer up my friend! there is light at the end of the tunnel. Talk to Moto.

Thank you! Yes, I hope too that they are able to replace it but there isn't any kind of customer service centre or any kind of official support in Pakistan by Moto.
But I did read once in a forum that Moto asked the guy to ship the phone to them and once they received it, they sent him a new one.
And they really should replace it since it's under warranty and it's a pretty common bug :)

3RAN7ON

Nov 12, 2013
Phoenix
Thank you! Yes, I hope too that they are able to replace it but there isn't any kind of customer service centre or any kind of official support in Pakistan by Moto.
But I did read once in a forum that Moto asked the guy to ship the phone to them and once they received it, they sent him a new one.
And they really should replace it since it's under warranty and it's a pretty common bug :)

I didn't talk to anyone on the phone or go to a service center, I used the live chat with a representative feature on their website to initiate the return.
The way that it worked for me, is that after I notified them, they Fedex'd me the new device. They also included inside that shipment an envelope that had a new pre-paid Fedex shipping label on it. So all I had to do was put my old phone in that envelope and drop it off at fedex and it went back to Moto. It didn't cost me a penny

hhp_211

May 15, 2008

One thing I did notice was that, using the original charger, when I select Recovery using the power button it shows a black screen for some time and then goes to the 0% screen. And if I select it with the Vol UP button, it immediately goes to the 0% screen.

Well maybe you will have some luck at some time.
I do know that when in fastboot that the vol up is the (select) or (enter) function.
Using the power button only tries to reboot.

---------- Post added at 10:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 PM ----------

I would look at getting to the battery as mentioned earlier.
It takes either a t4 or t5 torx screwdriver and remove the about 10 screws and the cover so you can disconnect to battery.

Reactions: drag00n619

drag00n619

Apr 30, 2013
Islamabad
I didn't talk to anyone on the phone or go to a service center, I used the live chat with a representative feature on their website to initiate the return.
The way that it worked for me, is that after I notified them, they Fedex'd me the new device. They also included inside that shipment an envelope that had a new pre-paid Fedex shipping label on it. So all I had to do was put my old phone in that envelope and drop it off at fedex and it went back to Moto. It didn't cost me a penny

Ok, so I did a live chat session and when they asked for my location, they said that this live chat is for support in the USA only. She redirected me to some forums. Went through the forums and everyone suggested the vol down+power button combination. Went to the Indian page where they just had a pdf of their customer service centers in India.

Long story short, no chance of replacement.

I am thinking about letting it sit without plugging in the charger for about 24 hours and then plugging in the original charger for 24 hours. Hopefully that should work.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Well maybe you will have some luck at some time.
    I do know that when in fastboot that the vol up is the (select) or (enter) function.
    Using the power button only tries to reboot.

---------- Post added at 10:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 PM ----------

I would look at getting to the battery as mentioned earlier.
    It takes either a t4 or t5 torx screwdriver and remove the about 10 screws and the cover so you can disconnect to battery.