Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,778 Members 37,834 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
Announcement from Hashcode: Safestrap: Custom Recovery for Locked Devices!

[RECOVERY LOCKED/NCG] Safestrap Recovery v3.75 [2014-06-26 B03]

Tip us?

eragon5779
Old
Thanks Meter 82

DONATE TO ME
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2853345

Please check this out and spread it around.

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to eragon5779 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

void4ever
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by void4ever View Post
So i'm hoping i'm not completely screwed here.

I'm using Rom slot 1, i know most devs recommend flashing to the stock slot, but i had already flashed my rom before reading that. And i didn't run into any issues that some people had reported aside from the reboot issue, so i figured i'll just chill on rom slot 1 until the rom i use was upgraded since it's my daily driver.

Well today i booted to the stock slot to prove a point to someone (long story, not really relevant to the issue). Once i was done proving my point i went to go switch back to Rom slot 1, but it's acting like there isn't one. It wants me to create one.

If i have to format and reinstall i'm going to lose a bunch of text history as well as some other stuff. I'm hoping there's a way to force this to romslot 1 or some trick i don't know about.

Just to recap when i select rom slot1 (which is where i've been running Alliance for weeks) it's asking me to set the partition size's and tap "create Rom Slot" like nothing ever existed there.

Void4ever
Sorry to bump my post but I've been poking around a bit on the file system and trying to find info on where rom partitions are stored. From what i saw on hash's main website partitions are created in /sdcard.

There is indeed a safestrap folder in there, but all i see currently is a file called "active_slot" and inside that file it says stock, which of course is whats currently selected. I was wondering if i edited the file and changed it to rom1 or romslot1 and reboot if it might pick up my rom. Problem is i don't know what commands hash uses to signify a romslot. Is it rom1, romslot1, slot1? I don't have my S4 any longer to look I also found an "active_slot" file under /ss/safestrap/ same thing says "stock" inside it.

I'm a little concerned as i don't see a container file that might be my roms filesystem, but then safestrap doesn't work like a VM so i guess it wouldn't use container files. If i could even mount the filesystem somehow through adb i could dump it to my computer and just format and pull what i needed from the dump.

Does anyone know the terms used in "active_slot" to specify what slot is active? I'd like to try editing that file.

Void4ever

void4ever
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by void4ever View Post
Sorry to bump my post but I've been poking around a bit on the file system and trying to find info on where rom partitions are stored. From what i saw on hash's main website partitions are created in /sdcard.

There is indeed a safestrap folder in there, but all i see currently is a file called "active_slot" and inside that file it says stock, which of course is whats currently selected. I was wondering if i edited the file and changed it to rom1 or romslot1 and reboot if it might pick up my rom. Problem is i don't know what commands hash uses to signify a romslot. Is it rom1, romslot1, slot1? I don't have my S4 any longer to look I also found an "active_slot" file under /ss/safestrap/ same thing says "stock" inside it.

I'm a little concerned as i don't see a container file that might be my roms filesystem, but then safestrap doesn't work like a VM so i guess it wouldn't use container files. If i could even mount the filesystem somehow through adb i could dump it to my computer and just format and pull what i needed from the dump.

Does anyone know the terms used in "active_slot" to specify what slot is active? I'd like to try editing that file.

Void4ever
So playing with this most of the night on and off i haven't made any headway i have a feeling it maybe a lost cause. I've tried editing the active_slot files and entering in a few different things that would make sense to no avail. Looking at the fstab and a "df -h", it's showing the partitions that were created, but i just can't force safestrap to see them any longer.

Something interesting i noticed when i went back to the stock rom tonight, it was fresh, and now that i think about it when i booted it this afternoon to show my friend something it wanted to go through the setup process. Which means somehow the stock formatted itself (it did take a bit to boot up). So if the stock slot formatted itself for whatever reason I'm fairly certain that would have nuked the safestrap partitions since it resides in /sdcard.

Sigh

Void4ever

Ejames991
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Sorry if this has been asked 1000 times but can this be installed on Rooted NE9?

superrelaxx
Old
Thanks Meter 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejames991 View Post
Sorry if this has been asked 1000 times but can this be installed on Rooted NE9?
Yes

krazie1
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 4,707
I know its not safe to restore custom rom backups to the Stock Slot but can we restore our backup of the stock Rom to the Stock Slot?

shaggy_kobain
Old
Thanks Meter 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazie1 View Post
I know its not safe to restore custom rom backups to the Stock Slot but can we restore our backup of the stock Rom to the Stock Slot?
I've done both without any issue. I have 2 ROM backups that I switch back and forth from.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shaggy_kobain For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Misterxtc
Old
Thanks Meter 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy_kobain View Post
I've done both without any issue. I have 2 ROM backups that I switch back and forth from.
Same here I always use the stock slot. The worst that will happen is you will need to Odin back to stock and re root. It's not a big deal as long as you have a reliable back up.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Misterxtc For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]