[Q] Sim Unlock O2 G4GB LUMIA 1020

OP jopa7

17th January 2014, 02:15 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2

27 posts
Hi there ! Bought one of these phones from ebay.co.uk and wanted to unlock it before it arrives by IMEI. A friend told me that the O2 ones already come sim unlocked... is this true?

Many thanks!!!
18th January 2014, 10:42 PM   |  #2  
Edinburgh
Thanks Meter: 5

29 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jopa7

Hi there ! Bought one of these phones from ebay.co.uk and wanted to unlock it before it arrives by IMEI. A friend told me that the O2 ones already come sim unlocked... is this true?

Many thanks!!!

That's not true, they are locked to O2 network. Fill in a form here: https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?...locking%20Form and wait. It took them one day to supply me with an unlock code.
21st January 2014, 11:26 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2

27 posts
Thank you very much. Already received it and, as you told, it's locked. I'm not living in UK and bought the phone on ebay to use overseas. The link you provided it's for 02 contract customers, no? Do you know any reliable unlock code provider? Cheers

Sent from my SM-N9005 using xda app-developers app
24th January 2014, 07:34 AM   |  #4  
Edinburgh
Thanks Meter: 5

29 posts
More
Well, most likely the person who sold you the phone is an O2 contract customer. You could ask that person to request an unlock code for you as it would be free of charge. Another option is to get O2 Pay & Go sim card and doing it yourself. See this: http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/SRVS/CGI-...ockmymobile%29 which might be tricky if you're not in the UK I don't know of any reliable unlock sites, but they usually charge a fortune for this.
27th August 2014, 06:48 AM   |  #5  
Flag Adelaide
Thanks Meter: 0

5 posts
More
This thread describes the situation I was in, in case anyone stumbles on it later.

I tried via the O2 online chat to get the phone unlocked. They said that I could not unlock it because they could only supply an unlock code if the phone had been used for 12 months on O2 and their records showed that this particular phone had only been used for three months. So, it looked like I would have to get a UK O2 SIM and use it for nine months. That is not easy if you live in Australia. However there is a site called Travelgear that sells O2 SIMs and lets you charge them up with 20 pounds of credit. So, I did that, and installed the SIM with a view to seeing out the 9 months, perhaps sending a text every so often and topping up each month. After installing the SIM I received a text from O2 saying I had 100MB of data to use. In trying to work out the status of the phone account I pressed an O2 shortcut on the front screen which opened up an app which when I pressed on the "My O2" button, opened up the web browser, which would not let me log into any information. Then, I thought I would ask O2 again to unlock via their online support form. Unsurprisingly, they responded that they could not but surprisingly, they said that the reason was that I did not have the necessary 15 pounds of credit. I queried that because I thought I should have 20 pounds. Ha ha! While it is 100MB, it is 6 pounds per MB if you are roaming in Australia! The brief attempt to check my account status had wiped out my credit. Gosh how I laughed.

Anyway, in parallel with all of this I tried an unlocking site called gsmliberty. They said they would need to go to a "second level database" at an additional charge and I said no thanks I will have a refund, which they promptly gave without fuss. Then I tried CellUnlockerPro. First time, they said the servers were down, which I thought was just an excuse for not being able to get the unlock code as gsmliberty had not been able to, so I asked for a refund and they too gave it to me promptly. About a week later CellUnlockerPro emailed to say the server was up so I thought nothing to be lost and gave it a shot. I put in the wrong IMEI but again CellUnlockerPro gave me a refund because I spotted the mistake early. I tried again and lo! they gave me an unlock code which worked.

So, moral of this sad story seems to be that if you are in Australia, do not waste money trying to get the free unlock out of O2, just spend the 30 USD that CellUnlockerPro charges.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread