Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,719 Members 38,338 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Ascend P7 is on the way...Thoughts and Opinions

Tip us?

samsungandriod
Old
(Last edited by samsungandriod; 10th August 2014 at 10:37 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSprecher View Post
Some small update as far as P7-L00 is concerned:

The latest firmware build that can be rooted with RootGenius is Build B121! As long as OTA-Updates are made with later builds root is kept and works flawlessly. That way I have come to Build 123 until now.
The actual Build B124 can be downloaded at present, but there is no OTA-Update until now. So beware: As soon as you do a full update from SD-Card root will be lost and you will have to go back at least to B121 for rooting the phone.

Yours
Matthias
I am not sure if you would lose your root, as mine is not rooted. however, i did full usb upgrade yesterday from 123 to 124 ( copy your update file to dload on your usb drive, then select update from the setting\update system software\ usb drive update), i was worried to lose all my settings, but after upgrade, everything is there. just like an OTA update....
The Following User Says Thank You to samsungandriod For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

MSprecher
Old
(Last edited by MSprecher; 10th August 2014 at 03:55 PM.)
Thanks Meter 13
I can confirm that settings after an OTG-Update are kept, BUT root and everything depending on root is also lost. So there seems no other way than waiting for an OTA-Update (which will hopefully preserve root as it did in the past) or to switch to TWRP-ROM- and Recovery.

Thanks anyway for your valuable Information!

BTW: Has anybody found that the Stock-E-Mail-App does not properly display signs like , , , and so on in the headline of an E-Mail? Chinese signs are displayed instead of ...
In the rest of the text these signs are properly displayed.

ctibor
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSprecher View Post
Has anybody found that the Stock-E-Mail-App does not properly display signs like , , , and so on in the headline of an E-Mail?
In the rest of the text these signs are properly displayed.
Yes, I noticed it from the beginning. Recently I found a solution. I downloaded the latest stock email app for KitKat ROMs (sorry, I don't remember from where) and installed it normally. Now I have two different email app on the phone (with the same name) and the new one works perfectly, displaying correctly the accented characters too.

The exact name of the app is 'com.google.android.email-6.3-1218562.apk' -- if you want to search for it.
ctibor

Huawei Ascend P7-L00 (Dual-SIM), Galaxy Note 8.0 3G; Transformer Pad TF300T

MSprecher
Old
(Last edited by MSprecher; 10th August 2014 at 05:22 PM.) Reason: format text
Thanks Meter 13
@ctibor:
I solved the problem with the help of recognised dev Bruno Martins in june when this issue became obvious. Since I depend on exchange servers we hat to replace both, the E-Mail-App and the Exchange-App. (com.google.android.email-6.3-1218562.apk and Exchange2Google.apk)
This worked fine under Fw Build 121 rooted. For later Fw-Builds one had to do OTA-Updates because replacing the stock-apps did not work anymore.

So let us hope Huawei is addressing this ugly issue in their multilingual E-Mail-App of their wonderful multilingual ROM!

Huawei P7-L00 Stock-Fw B124

TimAnd
Old
(Last edited by TimAnd; 16th August 2014 at 12:36 PM.)
Thanks Meter 20
SMS
I have a problem with the stock messaging app.
I turned on '7- bit optimization' in order to use GSM alphabet in messages and not Unicode, but it doesn't seem to work, at least not with Eastern European characters šžčćđ.
Does Huawei have some technical support available for users? It should have some bug tracker.
CAMERA
How can we change icons on a lock screen? I want to have camera icon instead of calculator. Swiping aside would be nice but it's not available. Xposed module doesn't work here.
EDIT:
There's no dedicated camera button but you can double press the LOWER volume key to launch the camera and take a photo from sleep - OR switch it to a shutter button.
BAR
Huawei should borrow from CM when it comes to pulling the notification bar down. When we pull down the left side, it should be like now. But when we pull the right side down, we should immediately get all rows with shortcuts expanded.
REVIEW
There's a review here mobile.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/mobile-phone/3515373/huawei-ascend-p7-review-firms-best-smartphone-is-sleek-and-affordable-but-let-down-by-software/
But I don't agree the phone lags, I'm on version 126 and it works fine.
Ultra camera and ultra power saving mode are features I like most.
CUSTOM
Nothing like CM, I wish we had dual boot option on P7 or at least working CM. I'm not sure how long Huawei will support this phone.
Someone wrote 'if you like tinkering, don't buy Huawei' and that is right, unfortunately, although it's a nice phone.
Samsung Galaxy S II i9100
Kernel: Siyah -> DorimanX & ROM - dualboot: ICS Stock, MIUI, JB Omega, 4.1 Omega v.24, 4.3 CM v.10.2, 4.4 CM v.11
Huawei Ascend P7-L10
Bootloader: unlocked/RootGenius, Recovery: custom/TWRP, Dual-boot kernel: no, Custom ROM: no, Xposed: 2.5.1 last working, specific: set_immutable.list removed

DJ BlackEagle
Old
Thanks Meter 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAnd View Post
Does Huawei have some technical support available for users?
You mean the typical technician support, yes (like ask others).
But to get a real, good technician it's not easy (like others).
Call the hotline of Huawei.

Quote:
I have a problem with SMS messaging app.
I turned on '7- bit optimization' in order to use GSM alphabet in messages and not Unicode, but it doesn't seem to work, at least not with Eastern European characters čćđ.
Why you don't want use Unicode?
You use the default sms app?

TimAnd
Old
(Last edited by TimAnd; 16th August 2014 at 12:08 PM.)
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ BlackEagle View Post
You mean the typical technician support, yes (like ask others).
But to get a real, good technician it's not easy (like others).
Call the hotline of Huawei.
Thank you, but I'd prefer Web page or email.

Quote:
Why you don't want use Unicode? ?
You use the default sms app?
If I type a single letter 'č' in the default P7 SMS app, I have only 69 characters left, instead of 159. My previous Samsung stock app or CM were able to convert this in message so that they display 'č' but count and send 'c', which really simplifies typing.
EDIT
Of course, I pay everything over 160 chars as a new SMS.
Samsung Galaxy S II i9100
Kernel: Siyah -> DorimanX & ROM - dualboot: ICS Stock, MIUI, JB Omega, 4.1 Omega v.24, 4.3 CM v.10.2, 4.4 CM v.11
Huawei Ascend P7-L10
Bootloader: unlocked/RootGenius, Recovery: custom/TWRP, Dual-boot kernel: no, Custom ROM: no, Xposed: 2.5.1 last working, specific: set_immutable.list removed

DJ BlackEagle
Old
Thanks Meter 59
Quote:
Thank you, but I'd prefer Web page or email.
You're welcome. I prefer always the phone, because e-mail reply from companies often very slow.

Quote:
If I type a single letter 'č' in the default P7 SMS app, I have only 69 characters left, instead of 159. My previous Samsung stock app or CM were able to convert this in message so that they display 'č' but count and send 'c', which really simplifies typing.
Curious, then I use (German), it's count only 1, but the ă (Czech I think), it's took over 100 chars. I'm not sure, if it's really take so much I don't know.
You must pay extra for extra long sms (over 160 chars)?

aVe2000
Old
(Last edited by aVe2000; 24th August 2014 at 11:05 AM.)
Thanks Meter 25
A Unicode character is coded by 1 to 4 byte. All chars you can also find in ascii , are coded by 1 byte. The more seldom a character is,the more bytes are used. Chinese eg. needs 4 bytes. German letters are part of ascii. Therefore only one byte is needed. Sms app seems to count needed bytes.
Fon: HTC Sensation XE
Rom: CM11 Sultan AOSP 4.4.2, Build January 4th
Kernel: ROM Kernel
Recovery: 4Ext
Firmware: 3.33
hboot: 1.29
----
kernel settings:
Governor: BADASS
Frequency: min 192Mhz, max: 1404Mhz
----
no mods

Noway25
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Default Recommendation of buy

Hello,
I want to buy this piece of HW, but I have a few questions, which I want to get answers before buy.

I am a junior developer, so if it's good for testing apps.
Custom roms - I like to testing a new roms, so if this device going to have someone (I read, that Huawei is not good for these things). I saw only recovery.

Thanks for your responses

Tags
ascend p7, huawei, sophia