Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,758 Members 38,567 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[HOW TO] [GUIDE] [Q&A] - Verizon Samsung Galaxy S5 ROOT & Then Some

Tip us?

mrkb510
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks, I had a feeling that's what it was. I kinda wanna keep ART tho, read that it has faster app processing or something? I just went and renamed the .apk files to .bak, read that should be fine to disable too.

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Free mobile app

johnny_chimpo
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Exclamation what are my options

I currently have a verizon samsung galaxy S5 with G900VVRU1ANE9

what if any are my options to root this device all i really want is to be able to use tethering app i stilll have unlimited data
and i dont like foxfi tether

landshark68
Old
Thanks Meter 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_chimpo View Post
I currently have a verizon samsung galaxy S5 with G900VVRU1ANE9

what if any are my options to root this device all i really want is to be able to use tethering app i stilll have unlimited data
and i dont like foxfi tether
Umm, it's right here in the general section. The title of the thread is even "How to root G900VVRU1ANE9". Really tough to find:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/veri...1ane9-t2836201
Shouldn't we treat this world like the garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?

Sometimes you go to the circus.......sometimes the circus comes to you

johnny_chimpo
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Default firmware vs kernal

Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark68 View Post
Umm, it's right here in the general section. The title of the thread is even "How to root G900VVRU1ANE9". Really tough to find:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/veri...1ane9-t2836201
sorry I just wanted someone to confirm I have been out of the loop for a while. If went and got a phone from big red would I still be able root as long as it has this firmware? is the is the kernel not relevant to the firmware could you explain if you have the time or at least point me in the rigt direction. thanks

landshark68
Old
Thanks Meter 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_chimpo View Post
sorry I just wanted someone to confirm I have been out of the loop for a while. If went and got a phone from big red would I still be able root as long as it has this firmware? is the is the kernel not relevant to the firmware could you explain if you have the time or at least point me in the rigt direction. thanks
If you bought the phone from Verizon and it has the NE9 firmware you just need to follow the directions in the thread I linked and you will have root. Not sure what you mean about the kernel not being relevant to the firmware. If you are referring to what it says in the towelroot thread about the kernel needing to be before June 3, the thread I linked details a work around the person who wrote the thread discovered. You will flash an older kernel to root, then flash the NE9 kernel after rooting.
Shouldn't we treat this world like the garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?

Sometimes you go to the circus.......sometimes the circus comes to you

Zoandroid
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkb510 View Post
New to Root and XDA forums... I'm rooted fine and had no problem removing bloat with Titanium BU, but when I upgraded TBU to Pro so I can freeze SPD and SDM, when I click Freeze, it says, "[App] has been frozen... etc", but nothing changed and when I go back to the app, it is still not frozen. Any help on this? I've tried Freezing other apps just to test it out, and still get the same results. Can't freeze anything even though it says the freezing was successful.
Just a thought -- When you first run TIBU it tells you to enable USB debugging. Did you do that? I think it is needed for things to work correctly. I think you also have to enable installing apps from unknown sources if you have not yet done that.

If you aren't aware, USB debugging is hidden under the developer mode until you go to Settings/About Phone/Build Number and then tap on it 7 times.
- Zoandroid -

Samsung Galaxy S5 - Rooted / Safestrapped.
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 - Rooted Stock.
VZW Samsung GS III - Rooted JB 4.1.2.
Wife's Kindle Fire - Stock.