Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,786,823 Members 42,165 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Galaxy S5 Google Play Edition

Tip us?

gee2012
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by lingowistico View Post
But what prevents us from editing cid and mid on our Galaxies manually to get OTA. Also you mention CID&MID and Firmware as reasons for OTA. So which is it? Firmware or CID&MID? AFAIK firmware is just another word for rom.
We don`t have a S-Off option on samsung devices so we can`t change the phones identity and product code unlike HTC devices with S-Off can.
USE Search: /this thread /all threads/Google before posting your question, you`re most likely not the first one having this issue
Unofficial elelinux/albinoman CM 11.0 (4.4.4) Ktoonsez KT kernel
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gee2012 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

lingowistico
Old
Thanks Meter 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by gee2012 View Post
We don`t have a S-Off option on samsung devices so we can`t change the phones identity and product code unlike HTC devices with S-Off can.
In the end an Odin gpe rom should work just fine and ota isn't that big of a deal, really. unless it contains checks for phone id wich if failed activates bugs and lag (like some commercials software tend to do).

Samsung Galaxy S 5 SM-G900F
Rom - Stock
Recovery - TWRP

gee2012
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,005
Quote:
In the end an Odin gpe rom should work just fine and ota isn't that big of a deal, really. unless it contains checks for phone id wich if failed activates bugs and lag (like some commercials software tend to do).
We should be able to flash the GPE just fine on the G900F, assuming the GPE version has a Qualcomm cpu
USE Search: /this thread /all threads/Google before posting your question, you`re most likely not the first one having this issue
Unofficial elelinux/albinoman CM 11.0 (4.4.4) Ktoonsez KT kernel

SolarTrans
Old
(Last edited by SolarTrans; 27th August 2014 at 11:31 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 232
Quote:
But what prevents us from editing cid and mid on our Galaxies manually to get OTA. Also you mention CID&MID and Firmware as reasons for OTA. So which is it? Firmware or CID&MID? AFAIK firmware is just another word for rom.
I don't have as much experience with Samsung as HTC and LG, but the firmware on the Sense and GPE editions of the M8 are definitively different.

For example, your GPE phone won't boot if you flash the firmware for Sense (the firmware, at least on HTC devices, is part of the OTA files that contains ramdisk, kernel, radios, and other things).

From my understanding, the barrier for the Samsung GPE is the kernel. You also don't get S-Off like accessibility, so you can't modify stuff like you can on other phones.

I think that's the case because if you have a true GPE S4, you can't flash TouchWiz or TouchWiz based ROMs unless you change the kernel.

All I know definitely is that there are no full GPE conversions available for the S4, just ROMs. I'm guessing it's the kernel and lack of full control, possibly amongst other things.

Sent from my LG G3 Cat.6 using Tapatalk
iPhone 2G-5 (AT&T)
HTC One M7 (64GB, Developer Edition)
Galaxy S4 (16GB, AT&T)
Galaxy S4 (16GB, Google Play Edition)
Nexus 5 (32GB, White)
iPhone 5s (64GB, AT&T)
OnePlus One (64GB)
Sony Z Ultra (Google Play Edition)
iPad mini with Retina Display (128GB, AT&T LTE)
HTC One M8 (32GB, Google Play Edition)
LG G3 Cat. 6 (32GB, White)
LG G Watch (Black)

lingowistico
Old
Thanks Meter 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarTrans View Post
I don't have as much experience with Samsung as HTC and LG, but the firmware on the Sense and GPE editions of the M8 are definitively different.

For example, your GPE phone won't boot if you flash the firmware for Sense (the firmware, at least on HTC devices, is part of the OTA files that contains ramdisk, kernel, radios, and other things).

From my understanding, the barrier for the Samsung GPE is the kernel. You also don't get S-Off like accessibility, so you can't modify stuff like you can on other phones.

I think that's the case because if you have a true GPE S4, you can't flash TouchWiz or TouchWiz based ROMs unless you change the kernel.

All I know definitely is that there are no full GPE conversions available for the S4, just ROMs. I'm guessing it's the kernel and lack of full control, possibly amongst other things.

Gee2012 posted above that the problem is that samsung doesn't have s-off and that's why we can't mess with cid and mid. Imo kernel shouldn't be a problem unless it's dependant on cid & mid.

Samsung Galaxy S 5 SM-G900F
Rom - Stock
Recovery - TWRP

SolarTrans
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 232
Quote:
Gee2012 posted above that the problem is that samsung doesn't have s-off and that's why we can't mess with cid and mid. Imo kernel shouldn't be a problem unless it's dependant on cid & mid.
Oh haha I didn't see his post :P
But if Kernel affects running TouchWiz on GPE, I don't see why it wouldn't matter in reverse.

iPhone 2G-5 (AT&T)
HTC One M7 (64GB, Developer Edition)
Galaxy S4 (16GB, AT&T)
Galaxy S4 (16GB, Google Play Edition)
Nexus 5 (32GB, White)
iPhone 5s (64GB, AT&T)
OnePlus One (64GB)
Sony Z Ultra (Google Play Edition)
iPad mini with Retina Display (128GB, AT&T LTE)
HTC One M8 (32GB, Google Play Edition)
LG G3 Cat. 6 (32GB, White)
LG G Watch (Black)

labeeqhussain
Old
Thanks Meter 1

DONATE TO ME
Default There wont be

Samsung is adamant upon having touchwiz incorporated into everything. I love samsung but I absolutely hate touchwiz

matheus_sc
Old
Thanks Meter 284

DONATE TO ME
Cm 11 soon will
Lg G2 4.4 KitKat