USB Charging made easier...

Search This thread

tomosensei

Nov 8, 2008
On a whim, I picked up a USB charging adapter for a Samsung P1000 Galaxy Tab and tried it with my Nook HD. It allows my Nook HD to charge from USB batteries that it refused to acknowledge previously.

The adapter is basically a USB Plug/Socket with a couple of resistors on the inside to emulate the correct voltages on the D+/D- lines. When in use, the Nook HD sees my batteries as AC input. I picked mine up on eBay for around $5 from a seller in CA. DealExtreme has one that is slightly different but should work the same. dx.com/p/usb-2-0-male-to-female-extension-cable-w-data-charger-switch-for-samsung-p7510-more-black-258964

Here is the listing on eBay for the one that I bought. ebay.com/itm/190702898352?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

This will possibly help many like myself who have batteries already that the Nook HD/HD+ just doesn't like.

Hope it helps!!

Reactions: riboswitch

jeober

Mar 24, 2011
Just FYI

For those inclined to modify a USB charger or to create a charger cable jumper adapter by modding a spare USB extension cable;

If the Nook sees the two USB data wires tied together and not tied to a voltage through a resistor (i.e., leave floating), the Nook will go to full charge mode.

Classpro

Jul 25, 2009
On a whim, I picked up a USB charging adapter for a Samsung P1000 Galaxy Tab and tried it with my Nook HD. It allows my Nook HD to charge from USB batteries that it refused to acknowledge previously.

The adapter is basically a USB Plug/Socket with a couple of resistors on the inside to emulate the correct voltages on the D+/D- lines. When in use, the Nook HD sees my batteries as AC input. I picked mine up on eBay for around $5 from a seller in CA. DealExtreme has one that is slightly different but should work the same. dx.com/p/usb-2-0-male-to-female-extension-cable-w-data-charger-switch-for-samsung-p7510-more-black-258964

Here is the listing on eBay for the one that I bought. ebay.com/itm/190702898352?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

This will possibly help many like myself who have batteries already that the Nook HD/HD+ just doesn't like.

Hope it helps!!

I bought three of these based on this suggestion and they don't work at all for me with Apple batteries or chargers. Not sure what is going on.

ro-76

Jul 18, 2006
For those inclined to modify a USB charger or to create a charger cable jumper adapter by modding a spare USB extension cable;

If the Nook sees the two USB data wires tied together and not tied to a voltage through a resistor (i.e., leave floating), the Nook will go to full charge mode.

Have you done this? I tried and it doesn't woe for me. I previously had a nexus 7 for which that trick worked, but not with the nook hd.

Tzul

Jun 25, 2014
Have you done this? I tried and it doesn't woe for me. I previously had a nexus 7 for which that trick worked, but not with the nook hd.

I have modified a short extension cable and it works perfectly. Are you sure you've properly short-circuited the D+ and D- pins on the Nook's side of the cable?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Hope it helps!!