Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,032 Members 51,167 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[DEVS ONLY][BCM21553 series] CyanogenMod 11 for BCM21553 Development Discussion

Tip us?

Miche1asso
Old
Thanks Meter 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaurav8651000 View Post
It is with no apps installed and also it showed 65mb after firsboot and then after second boot 75 mb used..I installed a fresh build of 23rd nightly too and was on cm7 before it did happen..
Now I have installed gapps and WhatsApp n few other apps..
It's easily explained.

1. These ROMs are deodexed so every apk on /system creates a dalvik cache in /data/dalvik-cache at the first boot. 60-70MB is just typical. One gets the same with deodexed Gingerbread custom ROMs
2. At the second boot the system has been alive for a while. For the system/Google apps to build 10-15MB in data, caches and additional system stuff for some reasons put in /data/data is nothing. I just checked on my phone (build Aug 23) and Google gms adds up 25MB alone (the sizes are in KB):

Code:
localhost files # du -sk /data/data/com.google.android.gms/* | sort -n                      
1	/data/data/com.google.android.gms/lib
4	/data/data/com.google.android.gms/app_drive_content_do_not_modify
23	/data/data/com.google.android.gms/shared_prefs
75	/data/data/com.google.android.gms/app_sslcache
124	/data/data/com.google.android.gms/app_dg_cache
966	/data/data/com.google.android.gms/databases
1722	/data/data/com.google.android.gms/cache
23035	/data/data/com.google.android.gms/files
localhost files # du -sk /data/data/com.google.android.gms/files/* | sort -n                                                                                                        
1	/data/data/com.google.android.gms/files/auth.account.state.exp.properties
1	/data/data/com.google.android.gms/files/cp_state
1	/data/data/com.google.android.gms/files/geofencer_ks
1	/data/data/com.google.android.gms/files/geofencer_state_list
1	/data/data/com.google.android.gms/files/nlp_ck
2	/data/data/com.google.android.gms/files/DATA_Preferences
8	/data/data/com.google.android.gms/files/assets
81	/data/data/com.google.android.gms/files/AppDataSearch
1148	/data/data/com.google.android.gms/files/images
5250	/data/data/com.google.android.gms/files/libAppDataSearchExt_armeabi.so
16540	/data/data/com.google.android.gms/files/secondary-dexes

3. You added two applications of which the apks alone are nearly 50MB total. Even if you moved them to the SD card part of the applications stay in /data. To them you have to add the addition dalvik caches and the libraries they extract. I am actually surprised that they fit into that ridiculous small internal memory of these phones.

As with any other ROM the only solution is to make use of an external partition in the SD card (sd-ext). there are plenty of scripts and apps (like Link2SD) that will help with the low internal memory issue.

Now, my issues. I tried reporting them first in the discussion thread for the S5570I, I hope I will get better luck here.

1. Bluetooth (BT - Please note that there are no issues with GingerBread):
  • The BT enabled triggers a constant kernel wakelock called HOSTWAKE. Basically the Deep Sleep is zero. It's needless to say that this drains the battery fast.
  • The handsFree Profile (HFP) doesn't route the audio to the hands free device. The HF receiver gets recognized, gets paired, it starts and closes the calls but then the audio comes out from the phone. I didn't test the microphone but I am pretty sure it is the same scenario. It doesn't work either with my car or an OS X application, Phone Amego that I always used for testing (it has a free trial in case you're interested)
  • It's quite annoying that the BT confirmation windows do not pop up. One has to go to the notification panel, click on the notification and wait for the pop up windows to appear. Most of the time they go in timeout doing it.
  • They do not have an option to make the choice permanent in some cases (like to always allow a BT device to transfer files to the phone) either.

2. Receiving calls takes ages. The phone may vibrate and then ring, but the com.android.incallui app doesn't show up sometime even after 8-9 rings from the calling phone. I know this is the slowest phone ever, but com.android.incallui is permanent in RAM, it just doesn't seem to get a way to go foreground in time.

3. More like a curiosity: why /system/etc doesn't get linked to /etc? The command is actually there in /init.rc (symlink /system/etc /etc). Although it does get in conflict with other operations in /etc in /init.gt-s5570iboard.rc and /init.gt-s5570iboard.gps.rc

4. Please don't hate me for pointing this out, but the name for the tassve phone in the stock build.prop files is GT-S5570I (capital I) and not GT-S5570i. It's the Galaxy ACE-I to use the lower case i as in GT-S5830i. I know it is a minor issue, but I believe it is what is causing some CWM installations to fail.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
<---- Don't say thanks. Click THANKS! It's cooler
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Miche1asso For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mohamedrashad
Old
Thanks Meter 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by psyke83 View Post
Perhaps a media file on your sdcard is not being indexed properly due to the missing OMX codecs.
what do this mean sir, i can locate that file an transfer it to PC temporarily

---------- Post added at 08:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:26 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miche1asso View Post
It's easily explained.

1. These ROMs are deodexed so every apk on /system creates a dalvik cache in /data/dalvik-cache at the first boot. 60-70MB is just typical. One gets the same with deodexed Gingerbread custom ROMs
2. At the second boot the system has been alive for a while. For the system/Google apps to build 10-15MB in data, caches and additional system stuff for some reasons put in /data/data is nothing. I just checked on my phone (build Aug 23) and Google gms adds up 25MB alone (the sizes are in KB):

Code:
localhost files # du -sk /data/data/com.google.android.gms/* | sort -n                      
1	/data/data/com.google.android.gms/lib
4	/data/data/com.google.android.gms/app_drive_content_do_not_modify
23	/data/data/com.google.android.gms/shared_prefs
75	/data/data/com.google.android.gms/app_sslcache
124	/data/data/com.google.android.gms/app_dg_cache
966	/data/data/com.google.android.gms/databases
1722	/data/data/com.google.android.gms/cache
23035	/data/data/com.google.android.gms/files
localhost files # du -sk /data/data/com.google.android.gms/files/* | sort -n                                                                                                        
1	/data/data/com.google.android.gms/files/auth.account.state.exp.properties
1	/data/data/com.google.android.gms/files/cp_state
1	/data/data/com.google.android.gms/files/geofencer_ks
1	/data/data/com.google.android.gms/files/geofencer_state_list
1	/data/data/com.google.android.gms/files/nlp_ck
2	/data/data/com.google.android.gms/files/DATA_Preferences
8	/data/data/com.google.android.gms/files/assets
81	/data/data/com.google.android.gms/files/AppDataSearch
1148	/data/data/com.google.android.gms/files/images
5250	/data/data/com.google.android.gms/files/libAppDataSearchExt_armeabi.so
16540	/data/data/com.google.android.gms/files/secondary-dexes

3. You added two applications of which the apks alone are nearly 50MB total. Even if you moved them to the SD card part of the applications stay in /data. To them you have to add the addition dalvik caches and the libraries they extract. I am actually surprised that they fit into that ridiculous small internal memory of these phones.

As with any other ROM the only solution is to make use of an external partition in the SD card (sd-ext). there are plenty of scripts and apps (like Link2SD) that will help with the low internal memory issue.

please sir, I install about 9 or 10 apps on CM& or stock-based rom and they barely fit the storage, now the storage is a litlle bigger and cannot fit for 2 apps and Gapps, it's confusing
The Following User Says Thank You to mohamedrashad For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Alberto96
Old
(Last edited by Alberto96; 27th August 2014 at 02:58 PM.)
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 6,275

DONATE TO ME
Default Only for TassVE/GT-S5570i Users

delete this, not working package.
3 Basic Phones --> Nokia 6680 (Chassis and Vibrator KO) --> I-Mate Jama (Bricked and Trashed) --> Nokia 6120 (Chassis KO) --> I-Mate Ultimate 9502 (is back :P) --> Samsung Galaxy S I9000 (best dev machine, now gave it to my father) --> Samsung C5510 (SOS) --> Huawei U8160/Vodafone Smart (no GPU no Party) --> Alcatel V860/Vodafone Smart II (Stupid Battery ) --> Samsung Galaxy Mini S5570i --> Samsung Galaxy S4 Exynos --> Huawei Y300 (MUM)

Check here to see all my current and old works

Don't forget to thank me if i helped you, and if you want/can, donate me
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alberto96 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Miche1asso
Old
Thanks Meter 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohamedrashad View Post
please sir, I install about 9 or 10 apps on CM& or stock-based rom and they barely fit the storage, now the storage is a litlle bigger and cannot fit for 2 apps and Gapps, it's confusing
GingerBread ROMs use to install the applications straight in the SD card (the normal FAT partition, not the "optional" extended one we may make). I know because I hate it and so I had to use an option in ROM Toolbox to force the installation in the internal memory. CM11 instead correctly uses the internal memory first. Also because KitKat isn't made for low end devices with small memories so that option can get even superfluous. That could be the case. I am not completely sure though, I installed the applications in the /sd-ext since ever, someone should check.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
<---- Don't say thanks. Click THANKS! It's cooler
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Miche1asso For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

psyke83
Old
(Last edited by psyke83; 26th August 2014 at 04:46 AM.)
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 3,122

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miche1asso View Post
GingerBread ROMs use to install the applications straight in the SD card (the normal FAT partition, not the "optional" extended one we may make). I know because I hate it and so I had to use an option in ROM Toolbox to force the installation in the internal memory. CM11 instead correctly uses the internal memory first. Also because KitKat isn't made for low end devices with small memories so that option can get even superfluous. That could be the case. I am not completely sure though, I installed the applications in the /sd-ext since ever, someone should check.
Thanks for the explanation you provided. As for the bugs you mentioned, I'll look into them when I have time.

@mohamedrashad: the simple answer is that CM11 requires more storage due to the complexity of the framework, system apps and kitkat gapps compared to the Gingerbread counterparts. You really need to be using some form of app2sd if you're going to use CM11. As a reminder, I don't recommend anyone to use Link2SD or Mount2SD, as these apps are known to cause conflicts with delta updates. Look at post #1 for the link to my modded version of S2E that is fully compatible with CM11 (and doesn't cause any issues with updates).

Since we've figured out that there isn't a space-eating bug in the MTD driver, we should continue any discussion of this topic in the general thread.
Android for ARMv6 devices: androidarmv6.github.io
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to psyke83 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

EsromG5
Old
Thanks Meter 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by psyke83 View Post
Thanks for the explanation you provided. As for the bugs you mentioned, I'll look into them when I have time.

@mohamedrashad: the simple answer is that CM11 requires more storage due to the complexity of the framework, system apps and kitkat gapps compared to the Gingerbread counterparts. You really need to be using some form of app2sd if you're going to use CM11. As a reminder, I don't recommend anyone to use Link2SD or Mount2SD, as these apps are known to cause conflicts with delta updates. Look at post #1 for the link to my modded version of S2E that is fully compatible with CM11 (and doesn't cause any issues with updates).

Since we've figured out that there isn't a space-eating bug in the MTD driver, we should continue any discussion of this topic in the general thread.
@psyke83,

I would leave some reports on the use of the CM11 on my part ...

Since RC9 until then, I come only with the incremental updating, had no problem with the deltas, even with gapps you recommended still running the deltas detail ... (I use Link2SD) had no errors so far!

Now on CM11 itself. I get to remember the time when you were developing CM7 for galaxy5, and totoro with cm11 is like flowing very well and leaving increasingly stable, I have no problems lags everywhere and not a lack of RAM memory .. ..
But there are two small bugs that are fixed, let it even more perfect (sorry for not doing logcat yet) but the bugs are these:

At any videos wheels, is a series of green stripes cutting videos.
When I get calls and / or arouses my alarm clock, the screen takes to turn on (wake up), strip about 5 or 6 seconds.
MADTEAM DEVELOPERS
Ask BluedroidMod for your device HERE
GT-I5500 | 4.2.2 | CWM 6.0.2.1
SE-R800a | 4.1.2 | CWM 6.0.2.1
GT-S5367 | 2.3.6 | Recovery Stock
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EsromG5 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Alberto96
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 6,275

DONATE TO ME
Only for TassVE/GT-S5570i Users

For those who are having problems with Stock ROM restore (MTD to BML) or update (in case of bootloop) check my new package.

All-In-One (Latest Odin already customized for GT-S5570i + Latest Full Stock ROM with Bootloader, PDA, MODEM and CSC): http://forum.xda-developers.com/devd...ct/dl/?id=8216

Previous package wasn't working as should.
3 Basic Phones --> Nokia 6680 (Chassis and Vibrator KO) --> I-Mate Jama (Bricked and Trashed) --> Nokia 6120 (Chassis KO) --> I-Mate Ultimate 9502 (is back :P) --> Samsung Galaxy S I9000 (best dev machine, now gave it to my father) --> Samsung C5510 (SOS) --> Huawei U8160/Vodafone Smart (no GPU no Party) --> Alcatel V860/Vodafone Smart II (Stupid Battery ) --> Samsung Galaxy Mini S5570i --> Samsung Galaxy S4 Exynos --> Huawei Y300 (MUM)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Alberto96 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Alberto96
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 6,275

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxche View Post
lastest nightly build theme bug
im use s5570i
If you mean problems with Themes then it's normal, CM made some changes. You need to wait new theme version from the themer.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alberto96 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

streambinder
Old
Thanks Meter 182

DONATE TO ME
Hi guys.
As @bieltv.3 already knew, I'm more or less the main mantainer of Cori sources: it's a bcm21553 device too, but it has some different parts of code needed in order to make it working.

The question is, dear @psyke83: during the first months of 2014 managed to have a bugfree CWM and standardize the sources. I retried some days ago, updating kernel, too, cherrypicking some of your androidarmv6's changes.
The result is that I'm again stuck at GT-S5300 bootlogo.
Another little thing, as I understood, you don't use prebuilt init binary file: how could you do it, since if I do it, I get a bootloop, too?

Please, answer, Pocket users deserve a possibility to try and test new and updated ROMs.

Greetings,
streambinder.