Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,599 Members 35,958 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Galaxy Gear won't charge or turn on

Tip us?

chm0dvii
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Smile Charging!

Thanks to everyone for all the advice.

I couldn't for the life of me get the watch charging after letting it sit for days without charging. The battery was completely discharged. I tried several wall chargers, cradles, etc.

I then tried the multiple tap and holds sequences, then plugged in to laptop using an S4 cable and presto! It's showing that it's charging. I thought it was shot.

Thanks again.
Phone: Tmobile Samsung Galaxy Note 3/ Galaxy Gear

Previous Android Phones:
Tmobile Samsung Galaxy S4
Samsung Galaxy S 3
Samsung Galaxy S2 one week before switching out to S3
HTC Sensation T-mobile
LG G2X
Samsung Vibrant
Motorola Defy
MyTouch Slide
MyTouch 3G

tjtnt89
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Thanks everyone...

I read all posts and figured out something that worked for me in just 10 mins... as well as everyone here, the gear wouldnt charge or turn on because I left it like 2 months.
I plugged the gear through a regular micro usb cable to my laptop and still doesnīt turn on but like magic I just opened the gear case where you have to put the gear to charge and moved it a little then close it again and vuala it turned on and started charging...

If this helps I firstly connected it through an usb 3.0 and nothing happened, then tried the usb 2.0 and it worked.

oddbehreif
Old
(Last edited by oddbehreif; 29th August 2014 at 06:12 PM.)
Thanks Meter 47
My two cents.

Charging with the wall charger didn't yield any results, even after a week of sitting and charging. Cleaned all contacts with a toothpick and did the same thing, nothing. Tried plugging into my laptop (something that worked for some posters), still nothing.

What finally did the trick was actually picking up a screwdriver and briefly disconnecting the battery from the motherboard, then putting it back together. When I plugged it in afterwards the orange clock icon appeared immediately, and my Gear begun charging. Hooray!

So, if nothing else, I confirm the battery disconnect trick - works like a charm. Don't worry about not having small TORX drivers; a 1.4mm flathead should work fine - be careful though, you may ruin the screws if you use too much force. You've been warned!

Cheers,
-odd