Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,137 Members 50,083 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE] S4 Proximity Sensor Fix (Blank Screen During Calls)

Tip us?

themarking
Old
Thanks Meter 5
it was driving me nuts! this worked and thanks so much!

dagentooboy
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdivan View Post
This guide solve my problem.
I noticed about the problem when flashed AOSP based Rom. So, thinked it was a rom bug.
Then, flashed stock again and find the issue was still there.
After trying whit compressed air, and nothing changes, rooted my phone (again) and follow this guide, and proximity sensor is working again.
Thanks.
I am glad it worked for you. I have heard that this is a huge issue for the S4. Not sure about other models.
S4 Proximity Sensor Calibration Guide here

Free Unlock For
Samsung Galaxy S variant here
Samsung Galaxy S 4G here
Galaxy Tab here

If you find my guide or advice helpful please donate

S4 Proximity Sensor Calibration App here

In a world without walls and fences who needs Windows and Gates?
The Following User Says Thank You to dagentooboy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

breaker12
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Manual method worked perfectly fine. You SAVED my LIFE! Tons of thanks from the Philippines!

kleinerast
Old
Thanks Meter 1
You're awesome! Been using this phone without a proper sensor for almost a year!
Samsung Galaxy Note I717 White ATT
Samsung Galaxy SIII Red ATT
Samsung Galaxy SIV I9505 White KPN

parrotheadmjb
Old
(Last edited by parrotheadmjb; 29th August 2014 at 09:18 AM.)
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipjacks View Post
I believe it's only in TouchWiz roms.

Cleaning the dirt out of the sensor is the only long term solution to fix it. But even then it's not permanent. It will eventually get dirty again.
I'm using an AOSP ROM (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2643031) and worked for me.

But the point of my post (and I have the Verizon edition BTW) is to say THANK YOU! I got to the point where every time I made a phone call I knew almost certainly my screen wouldn't turn on and even half the time hitting the home button wouldn't do the trick. I know the issue is my otter box defender series, which never caused this problem until about a month or two ago. But I need the otter box and this fixed my problem... Thank you thank you! No more random voice mails from me because my screen won't turn on haha

Edit: For those on AOSP, if you type the value in the calculator, swipe left and hit HEX, it will give you the hexadecimal value you need

red_five_1976
Old
(Last edited by red_five_1976; 29th August 2014 at 06:58 PM.) Reason: adding smilies
Thanks Meter 1
Ever since I flashed any custom ROM on my tmo S4, the proximity sensor hasn't worked right. Screen would never wake after a call ended, even the app I use to keep the screen off in my pocket (Gravity Screen, pretty cool app) wasn't working. I used the little app referenced in the OP, and it all works again! Thanks!