Welcome to the New XDA-Developers Portal!

You may recall that a few weeks ago, we opened up the XDA-2015 forum themesto intrepid users … more

An Android Enthusiast’s Apple iPhone 6 Challenge

The media has gone batty again over Apple “revolutionizing” smartphones. … more

Sony to Extend its AOSP Program to Other Devices

Sony will be offering its users the possibility to use AOSP ROMs as an alternative to the … more

Project Ara: Modified Android L and Hot Swapping

Project Ara is a very exciting topic–both for hardware and software enthusiasts. The … more

[GUIDE] S4 Proximity Sensor Fix (Blank Screen During Calls)

22nd June 2014, 02:23 AM   |  #11  
Thanks Meter: 5

34 posts
it was driving me nuts! this worked and thanks so much!
9th July 2014, 01:50 PM   |  #12  
OP Senior Member
Flag Kansas
Thanks Meter: 134

516 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdivan

This guide solve my problem.
I noticed about the problem when flashed AOSP based Rom. So, thinked it was a rom bug.
Then, flashed stock again and find the issue was still there.
After trying whit compressed air, and nothing changes, rooted my phone (again) and follow this guide, and proximity sensor is working again.
Thanks.

I am glad it worked for you. I have heard that this is a huge issue for the S4. Not sure about other models.
The Following User Says Thank You to dagentooboy For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th July 2014, 10:57 AM   |  #13  
Thanks Meter: 4

79 posts
Manual method worked perfectly fine. You SAVED my LIFE! Tons of thanks from the Philippines!
22nd August 2014, 07:57 PM   |  #14  
Flag Weston, FL
Thanks Meter: 1

21 posts
More
You're awesome! Been using this phone without a proper sensor for almost a year!
29th August 2014, 09:14 AM   |  #15  
Thanks Meter: 8

116 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipjacks

I believe it's only in TouchWiz roms.

Cleaning the dirt out of the sensor is the only long term solution to fix it. But even then it's not permanent. It will eventually get dirty again.

I'm using an AOSP ROM (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2643031) and worked for me.

But the point of my post (and I have the Verizon edition BTW) is to say THANK YOU! I got to the point where every time I made a phone call I knew almost certainly my screen wouldn't turn on and even half the time hitting the home button wouldn't do the trick. I know the issue is my otter box defender series, which never caused this problem until about a month or two ago. But I need the otter box and this fixed my problem... Thank you thank you! No more random voice mails from me because my screen won't turn on haha

Edit: For those on AOSP, if you type the value in the calculator, swipe left and hit HEX, it will give you the hexadecimal value you need
Last edited by parrotheadmjb; 29th August 2014 at 09:18 AM.
29th August 2014, 06:50 PM   |  #16  
Thanks Meter: 1

4 posts
Thumbs up
Ever since I flashed any custom ROM on my tmo S4, the proximity sensor hasn't worked right. Screen would never wake after a call ended, even the app I use to keep the screen off in my pocket (Gravity Screen, pretty cool app) wasn't working. I used the little app referenced in the OP, and it all works again! Thanks!
Last edited by red_five_1976; 29th August 2014 at 06:58 PM. Reason: adding smilies
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread