Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,320 Members 38,073 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Upgrade your towel rooted stock ne6 to stock nf6 keep root and dont trip knox

Tip us?

Featherbeard
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashraf sharif View Post
i am also getting a notification to update ota . This must be a new update. I would postpone it and wait for sammobile to post the firmware. Probably later today. Then flash the new firmware with mobile odin pro to retain root.
If you install the ota you will probably lose root.
Thanks so much for your help! I hope that's what it is, that icon and nagging is really annoying.

ashraf sharif
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Featherbeard View Post
Thanks so much for your help! I hope that's what it is, that icon and nagging is really annoying.
Yeah its an 86 mb update NG4 I managed to shut off the update notification by turning off software update in app manager. Had to turn it off in all apps and running apps and then reboot.

cyaclone
Old
(Last edited by cyaclone; 29th August 2014 at 10:40 PM.) Reason: added question
Thanks Meter 14

DONATE TO ME
If I understand this correctly, I can use mobile odin to update and maintain root? Is that correct? I am currently towel rooted on NE6 with Philz Recovery.

Have not used mobile odin before.

Or am I better to stick with PC odin, flash stock, root, and reload apps because of all of these restrictions through Samsung?

Do I use the Stock firmware to do this and what happens to data and apps during this process, will they be wiped?

How do I check Knox, where do I find it?

ashraf sharif
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 153
@cyaclone you most likely already tripped knox when you installed philz recovery. to check put your phone in download mode if knox is 0x1 it is already tripped. you can use mobile odin pro to retain root and update to ng4. or you can use ota,kies or pc odin to upgrade to ng4 then root again with cf autoroot if you already tripped knox then it really doesn't make any difference how you flash or root.

cyaclone
Old
Thanks Meter 14

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashraf sharif View Post
@cyaclone you most likely already tripped knox when you installed philz recovery. to check put your phone in download mode if knox is 0x1 it is already tripped. you can use mobile odin pro to retain root and update to ng4. or you can use ota,kies or pc odin to upgrade to ng4 then root again with cf autoroot if you already tripped knox then it really doesn't make any difference how you flash or root.
Thanks for the reply and just checked and knox is 0x1 with Philz Recovery. So I do not need mobile odin and just do the stock upgrade, root w/CF Root, and gone on from there.