Casting from Android with VPN on

Tip us?

jasenko
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 38
Default Casting from Android with VPN on

Hi guys,

I only noticed it recently, when I have VPN session running on my mobile, I lose the access to my home network and can't see Chromecast. It only started when I upgraded my HTC One to KitKat, it was not an issue before. Is there a setting or something obvious that I am missing here? I am running OpenVPN app, but also tried the commercial one HMA with the same problem.

Hope someone can help.

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 850

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasenko View Post
Hi guys,

I only noticed it recently, when I have VPN session running on my mobile, I lose the access to my home network and can't see Chromecast. It only started when I upgraded my HTC One to KitKat, it was not an issue before. Is there a setting or something obvious that I am missing here? I am running OpenVPN app, but also tried the commercial one HMA with the same problem.

Hope someone can help.
Usually VPN clients have the option to not route certain traffic through the VPN. Configuring to not route Chromecast through the VPN should leave Chromecast visible unless there's also some multicast discovery being filtered out by the VPN as well.
Chromecast threads: FAQ - READ THIS FIRST! / Rootable Serial Numbers | Root Mini-FAQ | FlashCast flashing Mini-FAQ
BYO powered OTG cable | WiFi Bandwidth and Router considerations | Not all 1080p/720p is same
Search Tip: Google search terms site:forum.xda-developers.com for only XDA forum results. Example
Follow the rules / Use 'Search' before posting / Post in the correct sections / Do not spam the board / Press thanks, don't post 'Thanks'

abuttino
Old
Thanks Meter 233
I had to go through a very advanced setup on my firewall to get the cc to cast on my same network but use the VPN at the same time..

Hint: ISP redundancy.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

logitechor
Old
Thanks Meter 39
The way I did it was have two routers - one with a Roku and the other a Chromecast. The Router with the Chromecast has a US DNS and the other stays as a Canadian address. Works well. Though I do occasionally forget how it is set up. But between them I can work around most Geo Issues.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app

gapcio78
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiga View Post
Usually VPN clients have the option to not route certain traffic through the VPN. Configuring to not route Chromecast through the VPN should leave Chromecast visible unless there's also some multicast discovery being filtered out by the VPN as well.
So please any advice how to configure VPN client on android device and/or router (I have dlink dir-635)?
I have to connect on device with my company VPN and possibilty casting to my TV would be vey very usefull.

ahmedsalah83
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasenko View Post
Hi guys,

Hope someone can help.
try using VPNROOT.
Phone: Galaxy Note 3 N9005 black
ROM: Stock 4.4.2 rooted