How to Disable Data Encryption on Nexus 6

In late September, Google decided to step on NSA’s toes and turn on encryption by default in … more

DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ Review – XDA TV

The holidays will be here in no time, so why not start thinking about gifts now? Youll be ahead … more

Mozilla Ditches Google, Makes Yahoo Default Search Engine

Mozilla and Google have had a long-standing relationship of about 10 years. Google … more

Learn More About Linux with Linux Man Pages

Linux is quite a powerful and very configurable operating system. Thanks to some user-friendly … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[SOLVED] Help Needed for Updating to 4.4.2: "htc_fastboot.exe has stopped working"

OP hafizimtiaz

17th May 2014, 04:51 AM   |  #1  
hafizimtiaz's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Dhaka
Thanks Meter: 35
 
124 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2011
Hi Developers

I have a SIM-unlocked AT&T HTC One (32GB, completely stock, Android 4.3, Sense 5, modelid: PN0712000, cidnum: CWS__001, Hboot 1.55.0000, baseband: 4T.20.3218.13, S-ON, LOCKED bootloader). I have been trying to update the OS to 4.4.2 but I failed every time. Here's a list of what I did so far:

1. I tried the RUU_M7_UL_K44_SENSE55_MR_Cingular_US_4.18.502.7_R1 0_Radio_4T.24.3218.09_10.26.1718.01L_release_35656 5_signed_2_2.exe. It starts OK but when it reaches 5%, an error "htc_fastboot.exe has stopped working" appears and the process is terminated. I have tried this on three different PCs (all with Windows 7 and proper drivers installed, adb and fastboot working) and all of them showed the same error. Suprisingly, RUU_M7_UL_JB43_SENSE50_MR_Cingular_US_3.17.502.3_R adio_4A.19.3263.13_10.38j.1157.04_release_334235_s igned_2.exe runs just fine and I can reflash the 4.3 using it without any trouble.

2. I tried flashing the OTA update.zip via stock recovery by copying the update.zip on the phone storage, rebooting into recovery and selecting "apply from phone storage". It didn't work either. I failed to catch the error message showed on the recovery screen as it was very quick to exit recovery and start the phone in normal mode.

3. I extracted the rom.zip from the RUU.exe and tried to flash the rom.zip from fastboot using "fastboot flash zip rom.zip". It also starts to work but after some time (around 220 seconds) it shows "12 signature verification failed" error.

Could anyone please let me know how can I update my OS to 4.4.2? Thanks in advance.
Last edited by hafizimtiaz; 23rd May 2014 at 04:13 PM.
19th May 2014, 05:39 PM   |  #2  
hafizimtiaz's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Dhaka
Thanks Meter: 35
 
124 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2011
OK, after two days of constant searching, I have found a solution to update the AT&T HTC One to Android 4.4.2 (Sense 5.5) from Android 4.3 (Sense 5.0). Here's what I had to do. I started from complete stock Android 4.3 (OS version 3.17.502.3), S-ON, bootloader locked.


1. I unlocked the bootloader by collecting the Unlock_code.bin file from htcdev.com.

From Settings > Power, uncheck the "Fast boot". Then turn off your device. Wait for a few seconds. Turn on the device with the volume down button pressed. This will take you to bootloader mode. Using the volume up/down keys, select FASTBOOT and connect your device to your PC using a USB cable. On the device screen, you should see FASTBOOT USB.

Now open a terminal window on your PC (I am assuming you have adb and fastboot installed. If not, search Google for "Minimal ADB and Fastboot" and install it). Type the following command:

Code:
fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin
On the device screen, you will have to choose YES using the vol up/down keys and Power button. This will unlock your device's bootloader and wipe your device completely. Your phone will reboot.


2. I flashed a custom recovery for rooting the device.

Download your favorite recovery. I used twrp-recovery-2.7.0.4b-m7-20140408.img.

Enter the bootloader mode again as described before. In the terminal windows, write the following code to flash the custom recovery:

Code:
fastboot flash recovery twrp-recovery-2.7.0.4b-m7-20140408.img
Now reboot your device. Download your favorite SU binary zip and copy it to your phone. I used UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.65.zip.

Turn off your device and enter bootloader mode again. It should show TAMPERED and UNLOCKED but S-ON now.

Select RECOVERY from the bootloader menu. This will reboot the device into TWRP recovery. Navigate to the SU zip file and flash it. Upon completion of the flash, wipe cache.


3. I used rumrunner to get S-OFF.

Now that we have a rooted device, we can use rumrunner. Download rumrunner_HTC_0.5.0.zip. Extract it. Connect your phone (turned on) to the PC and enable USB Debugging from Settings>Developer Options. On your PC, from the extracted rumrunner folder, run the sojo.exe in administrator mode.

For rumrunner to run, you need to be connected to the internet (I don't know why). Also, the process will be easier if you - a) turn off all screen securities, b) connected your device to the PC in adb mode and fastboot mode at least once before running rumrunner (this will ensure if you have proper drivers installed or not). It will take some time for rumrunner to get S-OFF. Your device will reboot many times, don't worry, this is normal.

So, now we have a tampered, unlocked, S-OFF device.


4. I returned to Stock 4.3 ROM using RUU.

Relock your bootloader using the following command:

Code:
fastboot oem lock
I used the RUU_M7_UL_JB43_SENSE50_MR_Cingular_US_3.17.502.3_R adio_4A.19.3263.13_10.38j.1157.04_release_334235_s igned_2.exe to return to stock. This RUU didn't give any "htc_fastboot.exe stopped working" error and ran smoothly every time. This will remove the "Tampered" sign, but your S-OFF will be as it were. This is what we wanted in the first place. A complete stock firmware/ROM with S-OFF.


5. I flashed the OTA.zip using stock recovery.

Now, download the 4.4.2 OTA zip file and place it in your phone storage. Reboot the phone in bootloader and then recovery mode. Clear cache from the stock recovery and then select "apply from phone storage". Navigate to the OTA.zip file on your phone and select it. After it completes the flashing process, do a factory reset from the recovery or the bootloader mode. Now, you should have a stock HTC 4.4.2 device with Sense 5.5, locked bootloader and S-OFF.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hafizimtiaz For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd May 2014, 02:40 PM   |  #3  
clsA's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Central Florida
Thanks Meter: 1,154
 
4,246 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hafizimtiaz

OK, after two days of constant searching, I have found a solution to update the AT&T HTC One to Android 4.4.2 (Sense 5.5) from Android 4.3 (Sense 5.0). Here's what I had to do. I started from complete stock Android 4.3 (OS version 3.17.502.3), S-ON, bootloader locked.


1. I unlocked the bootloader by collecting the Unlock_code.bin file from htcdev.com.

From Settings > Power, uncheck the "Fast boot". Then turn off your device. Wait for a few seconds. Turn on the device with the volume down button pressed. This will take you to bootloader mode. Using the volume up/down keys, select FASTBOOT and connect your device to your PC using a USB cable. On the device screen, you should see FASTBOOT USB.

Now open a terminal window on your PC (I am assuming you have adb and fastboot installed. If not, search Google for "Minimal ADB and Fastboot" and install it). Type the following command:

Code:
fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin
On the device screen, you will have to choose YES using the vol up/down keys and Power button. This will unlock your device's bootloader and wipe your device completely. Your phone will reboot.


2. I flashed a custom recovery for rooting the device.

Download your favorite recovery. I used twrp-recovery-2.7.0.4b-m7-20140408.img.

Enter the bootloader mode again as described before. In the terminal windows, write the following code to flash the custom recovery:

Code:
fastboot flash recovery twrp-recovery-2.7.0.4b-m7-20140408.img
Now reboot your device. Download your favorite SU binary zip and copy it to your phone. I used UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.65.zip.

Turn off your device and enter bootloader mode again. It should show TAMPERED and UNLOCKED but S-ON now.

Select RECOVERY from the bootloader menu. This will reboot the device into TWRP recovery. Navigate to the SU zip file and flash it. Upon completion of the flash, wipe cache.


3. I used rumrunner to get S-OFF.

Now that we have a rooted device, we can use rumrunner. Download rumrunner_HTC_0.5.0.zip. Extract it. Connect your phone (turned on) to the PC and enable USB Debugging from Settings>Developer Options. On your PC, from the extracted rumrunner folder, run the sojo.exe in administrator mode.

For rumrunner to run, you need to be connected to the internet (I don't know why). Also, the process will be easier if you - a) turn off all screen securities, b) connected your device to the PC in adb mode and fastboot mode at least once before running rumrunner (this will ensure if you have proper drivers installed or not). It will take some time for rumrunner to get S-OFF. Your device will reboot many times, don't worry, this is normal.

So, now we have a tampered, unlocked, S-OFF device.


4. I returned to Stock 4.3 ROM using RUU.

Relock your bootloader using the following command:

Code:
fastboot oem lock
I used the RUU_M7_UL_JB43_SENSE50_MR_Cingular_US_3.17.502.3_R adio_4A.19.3263.13_10.38j.1157.04_release_334235_s igned_2.exe to return to stock. This RUU didn't give any "htc_fastboot.exe stopped working" error and ran smoothly every time. This will remove the "Tampered" sign, but your S-OFF will be as it were. This is what we wanted in the first place. A complete stock firmware/ROM with S-OFF.


5. I flashed the OTA.zip using stock recovery.

Now, download the 4.4.2 OTA zip file and place it in your phone storage. Reboot the phone in bootloader and then recovery mode. Clear cache from the stock recovery and then select "apply from phone storage". Navigate to the OTA.zip file on your phone and select it. After it completes the flashing process, do a factory reset from the recovery or the bootloader mode. Now, you should have a stock HTC 4.4.2 device with Sense 5.5, locked bootloader and S-OFF.

Thanks for posting your solution ... Sorry I have been absent. I have been Busy with work
29th May 2014, 03:48 PM   |  #4  
hafizimtiaz's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Dhaka
Thanks Meter: 35
 
124 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by clsA

Thanks for posting your solution ... Sorry I have been absent. I have been Busy with work

Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to hafizimtiaz For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th July 2014, 02:03 AM   |  #5  
Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
79 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2010
Thank you, Hafizimtiaz!!! Finally, I'm the lastest OTA with Sense 6!

26th August 2014, 01:26 PM   |  #6  
fareed_xtreme's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 309
 
316 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2012
Donate to Me
More
Unfortunately I am facing this issue on both Win 8 and a brand new Win 7 too. I have no clue how to run the RUU. I used to use this same PC for RUU in the past. Now I get this error of HTC_fastboot.exe has stopped working. Any help appreciated.
30th August 2014, 04:24 PM   |  #7  
clsA's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Central Florida
Thanks Meter: 1,154
 
4,246 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fareed_xtreme

Unfortunately I am facing this issue on both Win 8 and a brand new Win 7 too. I have no clue how to run the RUU. I used to use this same PC for RUU in the past. Now I get this error of HTC_fastboot.exe has stopped working. Any help appreciated.

you need the older 3.x.502.x RUU
you can download it directly from HTC here >>
http://dl3.htc.com/application/RUU_M...5_signed_2.exe

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
fastboot error, htc one 4.4.2
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes