Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,783,010 Members 44,431 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Your thoughts on the OnePlus Phone? Opinion and review here!

Tip us?

nigelhealy
Old
Thanks Meter 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAtheistReverend View Post
Never implied OPO was taking a loss, or specifics on what the word "cost" means here. Just warning forum members of what often happens when throwing insults around.

It makes no difference to me if they are making "profit" or not. I got an amazing phone for cheaper than any other comparable device is offered for, and I didn't have to line the pockets of Sammy or Apple in doing so. But I did get to support a new company trying a different rout, and I'm glad that I did. Best phone I've ever owned.
Not a comment directed to YOU but chiming with your comment.

"cost" is meaningless really, it means a huge wide range of things which everyone means different.

I agree with the conclusion though, a good decent spec phone for $360. Excellent!

I'd still though prefer Google to take $150 out of the price of the Nexus 5 then we all benefit.

I bought 3 OPO and helped 3 others get. I think OPO needs plenty of sales to people who praise it, in a balanced honest way. I want OPO to succeed, not so much because I want OPO to succeed but just so their presence forces the BS out the likes of LG, Samsung and to a less degree Google who still have their N5 for sale at clearly a price which looks sick relative to OPO. I mean, what a stupid set of ideas went into the LG G3 - that stupidly high PPI there's no apps or media to benefit from so it lowers battery life is just macho-specs. Dropping the new handset prices then trickles down into better used prices. e.g. it still a high price for a used N4, I mean they still selling used for >$200 (I sold mine for $245). I bought a N4 recently and it was hard work to get it as low as $100.

So the OPO effect, trickled down, is the ultimate best thing.
Nexus 5 stock 4.4.4 +ElementalX rooted, Nexus 7 2013 stock 4.4.4 +ElementalX rooed, Nexus 10 CM 11 rooted, OnePlusOne stock rooted.

drakester09
Old
Thanks Meter 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha Watcher View Post
I really can't believe the naiveté of some people. Do you really, honestly think a COMPANY, who exists solely to generate a PROFIT, is suddenly going to mass produce a product that accrues no revenue gains just because they feel so generous and philanthropic? Please tell me you're kidding!!!
Where did I say this is philantrophy? Where did I say they are a non-profit organization?

Their business model is supposedly to earn zero profit (break-even or near that) in a couple of years to build up their consumer base.

This seems like it could work. they are cutting marketing expenditures (and their marketing efforts seem either brilliant or completely dumb) and thus are relying on word of mouth. Their main strategy is to undercut the competition and build a customer following based on their first products and maybe earn something extra with the sale of accessories.

After having a client base, they can monetize it or release new products with a larger margin.

Beautiful of you to throw around some ad-hominem just to endorse your point. Clearly says a lot about the substance of your arguments.
Devices: Nexus 5 - Nexus 7 (2013) - OnePlus One

Quinnaay
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Finally swapped mine. Got a S5 and £50 which is a deal I couldn't resist. Couldn't handle the ghost swipes, multi touch issues and yellow band any longer. The CyanogenMod did a fantastic job and they were the reason I lasted so long. The device looks and feels fantastic but it's a shame there were so many problems with it even after a month of owning it and reading the Jira reports to which it seems most are hardware issues.

rickyx32
Old
(Last edited by rickyx32; Yesterday at 10:02 PM.)
Thanks Meter 72
Default 2014.07.15 OPO vs. 2014.08.16 OPO

Hey fellas, so I decided to claim another one of my invites this week and I was surprised out of the box at some of the noticeable differences between my mid July OPO and the mid August OPO I just received yesterday. For starters, I thought it was amusing how they added a warning on the sim tray telling you that the sim card should be facing the back cover. As far as the yellow band issues go, the screen appears flawless, it doesn't matter how you tilt the phone, particularly when you turn it sideways, as that is where the yellowing is most obvious on my mid July OPO. Though, I also feel that the appearance of the yellow band fluctuates, maybe it has something to do with the ambient or device temperature, so we'll see how it goes. Finally, the most obvious change I've noticed, though not an issue that bothered me much, is just how much brighter the capacitive button lights are compared to the old OPO. I mean, it currently has XNPH22R, while the old OPO has the new XNPH33R, so I thought that was interesting considering the brightness issue was something they were supposedly trying to address with software.

Anyway, I'll post a side by side picture when I get a chance.
Current Phone: OnePlus One 64GB, Nexus 5
Current Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013)
Previous Devices: Xperia Z1, Galaxy S3, Nexus 7, HTC One V, LG Optimus Elite, LG Optimus V
The Following User Says Thank You to rickyx32 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mad4some
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Hey @rickyx32, how much time for you between order placement and shipping notification received?? Also, between ship notice and delivery?? Sorry for slightly OT, but I am at 3 days after order and haven't heard a peep and I'm moving in about 11 days...........getting worried!! lol
Current Devices:
Nexus 7 (2) - Mahdi ROM / ART
Nexus 7 - Mahdi ROM / ART (GF's tablet....)
Nexus 5 - currently in my sock drawer w/ a CRACKED screen........bummer!!

Verizon Galaxy S4 - GPE 4.4.4 / Safestrap
Recovery: TeamWin 2.7.0+ (all devices)

rickyx32
Old
(Last edited by rickyx32; Yesterday at 10:40 PM.)
Thanks Meter 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad4some View Post
Hey @rickyx32, how much time for you between order placement and shipping notification received?? Also, between ship notice and delivery?? Sorry for slightly OT, but I am at 3 days after order and haven't heard a peep and I'm moving in about 11 days...........getting worried!! lol
Not a problem, well I paid for it on the 26th early in the morning, got my shipping notification at night on the 28th, and received the phone the next morning on the 29th. Keep in mind that it all depends on where you live. I live in California and the phones ship just a couple miles from where I live. I paid for standard shipping since its the only option I get.

Edit: Since it's been three days you might actually get your shipping notification at night Keep me posted. Also, make sure someone is at your home on the day of delivery since the shipping came with signature confirmation and I had to go to the post office and pick it up since no one was around at home, which is weird because when I bought my old OPO they just left it at the porch!
Current Phone: OnePlus One 64GB, Nexus 5
Current Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013)
Previous Devices: Xperia Z1, Galaxy S3, Nexus 7, HTC One V, LG Optimus Elite, LG Optimus V
The Following User Says Thank You to rickyx32 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

NaterTots
Old
Thanks Meter 641
Yeah they changed to signature on delivery due to reported theft.

I had to sign for my one delivered on 7-24
HTC EVO 4G - Sold
HTC EVO 4G LTE - Sold
HTC EVO 4G LTE - Sold
Samsung Galaxy Nexus - Sold
Nokia 521- Sold
HTC First - Stock
Google N7 2012
Google Nexus 5
OnePlus One 64GB

Tags
5.5, oneplus, oppo, snapdragon 800