i605 Hard-Unbricking via KOBOL's Method :)

OP GiGaLeOnZa

2nd June 2014, 06:15 AM   |  #41  
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGaLeOnZa

did you prepare the SD card properly?? follow the instructions exactly and with the SD card in place, you'll see the black screen saying success or something like that.

Keep at it, worst case scenario is you don't succeed...

Yes, I tried the combination of those two image files (cause I wasn't sure which one applies to my case), with winimage and winhex. Same result. I also tried screwdriver and pincet to short the resistor. After pressing the power button, screen remains black before and after I remove the screwdriver. I'm quite sure I hold the battery right, because if don't short the resistor and simply press the power button, it will display logo in loop. And I tried above steps many many times.
2nd June 2014, 03:49 PM   |  #42  
Thanks Meter: 6

36 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iooooooc

Ok. Let me start this out by saying that this procedure is very risky...I'm not even sure why I followed through with this....but, I will tell my story and you can decide if the risk is worth it.

I was running the 4.3 locked bootloader VRUEMJ9. I was running SafeStrap with N3bula ROM. Like many others, I've been frustrated with this locked bootloader...So, for the third time, I decided to test this method to see if I could downgrade back to 4.1

Using the knowledge from KOBOL, and the very helpful write-up by GiGaLeOnZa, I spent over an hour trying to hold the battery in place and short that little tiny resistor. After an hour, I finally got the stars to align, and was able to hold everything together while pressing the power button. As I counted to 6, the screen flashed white, and I pulled my screwdriver off of the resistor, and the screen stayed white for another second, then went black. After thinking, "oh great, there goes my phone" I reconnected everything and prepared to put my bricked phone back together. Imagine my surprise when I turned it on, and the safestrap screen appeared. After hitting continue, my phone booted in system recovery mode. I chose the "update from SD card" option. This resulted in a failure to mount. So, after I realized that I still had to imaged SD card in the device, I turned it off and put my normal SD card in. When I booted my phone, N3bula loaded like normal, and I was able to check my e-mail and voicemail. So, obviously, I felt like I needed to mess with it even further. Brazened my the backup I had made yesterday, I decided to ODIN the root66 firmware onto the device. After ODIN declared the process successful, I waited with my breath held while my phone booted up...After what seemed to be a long time on the "Samsung Galaxy Note II" splash screen, the little Android with an open chest appeared with a status bar. After that had completed, my phone rebooted and I went back to holding my breath. When the phone got past the first splash screen and the old "4GLTE" logo with the emanating rings appeared, I almost fell off my chair. After an eternity, my phone turned on and finally, what we've all been waiting for....Attachment 2713239

Now please, I beg you to read this whole post before you decide to do this yourself...as I said before, this is extremely risky, and I'm not sure if I just got lucky, or this worked.

Huge thanks to GiGaLeOnZa and KOBOL for their extremely helpful guides and knowledge.

Has nobody tried to replicate this?
2nd June 2014, 08:07 PM   |  #43  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 26

40 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unicell

Yes, I tried the combination of those two image files (cause I wasn't sure which one applies to my case), with winimage and winhex. Same result. I also tried screwdriver and pincet to short the resistor. After pressing the power button, screen remains black before and after I remove the screwdriver. I'm quite sure I hold the battery right, because if don't short the resistor and simply press the power button, it will display logo in loop. And I tried above steps many many times.

Yea, if you weren't holding the battery right then the phone wouldn't be turning on, unless you have the USB cable plugged in. I opted not to do so, because when the board gets power it will try and start charging it and wouldn't start the boot looping..

Keep at it, I got mine going on the 3rd attempt to power it up. Make sure your counting exactly to 5, 6 tops. I'm not sure what else to say, but if in the event you can't get the phone reset via micro SD and can't ODIN back, you're stuck best of luck.
2nd June 2014, 08:09 PM   |  #44  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 26

40 posts
Info 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeDC

Has nobody tried to replicate this?

I wish I could, but I haven't been unfortunate enough to install the new locked bootloader. If I had by mistake, I would want to try this to unlock, but I was lucky enough just to bring my phone back to life, I'm not courageous enough to update then try and go back. I leave that to the people who are locked and want to be adventerous enough to confirm what ioc did.
13th June 2014, 10:07 PM   |  #45  
Thanks Meter: 31

291 posts
I'm getting to the point where I might try shorting the jumper and seeing if I can odin back to 4.1.1 or 4.2. So frustrated with being bootlocked!!!
18th June 2014, 08:54 AM   |  #46  

4 posts
Quote:

I wish I could, but I haven't been unfortunate enough to install the new locked bootloader. If I had by mistake, I would want to try this to unlock, but I was lucky enough just to bring my phone back to life, I'm not courageous enough to update then try and go back. I leave that to the people who are locked and want to be adventerous enough to confirm what ioc did.

So, I just spent quite a few hours trying to replicate this, and here's what happened.

Everything went as he described, but the bootloader is still locked! A couple nuances.

First, KNOX is still present even after getting the white screen (never got any sort of text)
Second I could not flash stock VRAMC3 firmware. That messed me up.
Third, I could flash Root66 Firmware. It flashed successfully, but it bootlooped and I flashed again and got the same successful flash with a bootloop.
Lastly, even after successfully flashing Root66, the bootloader is very much locked and showing a void warranty. I never booted, but the system and bootloader are independent of each other. If the shorting itself does not reflash the bootloader, certainly flashing an old rom won't.

Very sad. I took pics of the process throughout, but seems like a waste. For anyone else trying this, flip the monitor cable over the edge so the screen is face down and THEN reattach the board. You can't flip it while attached, but you can reattach it once it's flipped. This made shorting, powering on, and holding the battery 10 times easier!!

I think that Knox causes the white screen versus text when trying to flash the VRAMC3 image back.
4th July 2014, 09:24 PM   |  #47  

1 posts
Quote:

Yea, if you weren't holding the battery right then the phone wouldn't be turning on, unless you have the USB cable plugged in. I opted not to do so, because when the board gets power it will try and start charging it and wouldn't start the boot looping..

Keep at it, I got mine going on the 3rd attempt to power it up. Make sure your counting exactly to 5, 6 tops. I'm not sure what else to say, but if in the event you can't get the phone reset via micro SD and can't ODIN back, you're stuck best of luck.

I have the same issue as unicell, I guess i should just give this all a try and see what happens? I did the exact same thing as him and flashed the FING 7100 bootloader and get stuck in that bootloop and can only get into download mode. I'm so pissed.
5th August 2014, 08:54 AM   |  #48  

9 posts
Hello all,
My phone is locked for flashing stock roms it stucks at modem.bin after trying to flash N7105 4.1.2 stock rom , but i can still run cleanROM v5 without problems, i can run recovery and download mode , install modems from recovery.

I need to restore it , in order to flash MJ9 , and install DN3 rom

is there a way to install i605.img instead of the resistor way.
24th August 2014, 02:20 AM   |  #49  

22 posts
I just wanted to share that I just downgraded my bootloader from 4.3.1 to 4 .1 2 going to try to unlock the bootloader when I get home
31st August 2014, 12:11 AM   |  #50  

5 posts
grrr
I'm just desperate enough and broke enough to try this. I am on 4.4.2 and I hate it. Especially since I did my backup with titanium and I can't restore without root. So I am willing to try to downgrade this way, so far no luck though.

Couple of questions, did the samsung logo come on first or the red text that said flashing was complete? If the samsung logo came on first how long did it stay on before it switched to the flash complete text?

Either wait I can't seem to get it to do it. I have tried a screw driver and silver solder wire. Any tips would be appreciated. I will post results if there are any.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread