VZW N3 KK - Radio Signal SUCKS!

Search This thread

SirBindy

Nov 12, 2009
Rochester, NY
I had the same signal issues as everyone else. I'm going to be getting my replacement device today. I want to confirm with the people who received replacement phones that they notice a big difference with the new device? Is there any changes to the about phone information on the new device?

Thanks in advance for the info!

Only difference was mine came with NC4 out of the box. The manufacture date on the sticker is June 2014.

czach5932

Jan 25, 2013
Gretna
Both me and my friend are truck drivers and both have the N3 and both of us found our problems to be the otter box defender case. I drive through the boondocks of Nebraska and no matter which modem I was on I would drop 40+ calls a day. Once I took off the case I only drop calls 3-5 calls a day (better then my Rezound and his old droid). Also the last couple of days I have tried both the mje and nc2 modems and both are remarkably worse (30-40 and 15-20 dropped calls respectively) but without the case even the mje modem was better. When my friend went into Verizon and made this comment the Verizon rep said he had gotten reports of the same thing. Obviously just my two cents and your mileage may vary but 200% happier without a case

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Premium HD app

tlowry77

Jul 26, 2010
Only difference was mine came with NC4 out of the box. The manufacture date on the sticker is June 2014.

I got my replacement last friday. And I noticed a huge difference. Came with nc4 out the box. Used to drop data here at my house. None on new phone

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

whatsinaname

Jun 21, 2007
Hmmmmm

So I got my replacement today, I installed towelroot, busybox, safestrap, and then tried to restore my nandroid from before.
At first the nandroid wouldn't show up and then after fiddling with it I got safestrap to see them. after restoring one it just loads to a black screen.

my nandroids were nc2 and my new phone is nc4... could that be the problem?

*****Slaps Head Violently.******
I forgot to reflash my NC2 kernel.... Oden is my friend.
Woot! now to try signal.

Last edited:

fletch33

Jan 9, 2010
I have watched and been apart of this thread for a long time and after reading almost every post I believe the OP should be updated to read:

If your N3 has serious reception issues after any Kit Kat upgrade whether leak or OTA you can swap files and roms until your fingers bleed but your not going to get back to where you were without getting a replacement.

I believe that about sums it up

rushless

Jan 16, 2008
I have watched and been apart of this thread for a long time and after reading almost every post I believe the OP should be updated to read:

If your N3 has serious reception issues after any Kit Kat upgrade whether leak or OTA you can swap files and roms until your fingers bleed but your not going to get back to where you were without getting a replacement.

Absolutely this.

whatsinaname

Jun 21, 2007
Odd restore

Ok, so I got my referb, and it was nc4. That dosn't bother me because I don't run other roms in slots or anyting, but what was odd is that when I restored my nandroid, almost every game, and application had to redownload data for them to run? I thought the nandroid would copy everything. Oh well, its working and radio seems to be fine. I will report back in a week after real world testing.

billku

Jun 9, 2011

Wish that had been the case for me. My reception is about the same. :(

haza12d

Nov 14, 2007
Gotham
I had pretty bad reception even with my replacement until I got my SIM card replaced. That did the trick for me.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

jamesmce

Feb 7, 2009
Boston
Downgrade from NC2 Modem to MJE

Has anyone had any success downgrading there Modem from NC2 to MJE?

If so have you noticed you 4GLTE signal improve?

Big Dawg 23

Feb 13, 2008
Northfield
I bought mine from BB out of Contract because its a Company phone. When I first when to KK, never had issues. I in the last three weeks it went WAY South with alot of 3G and No Service. Today I went to BB since I have Geek Squad protection. WIthout asking the Assistant GM replaced my phone on the spot. It is on 4.3 and I will be ignore the updates. If I root can I block the Updates from repeatedly coming up?

jamesmce

Feb 7, 2009
Boston
NC4 Rooted...NC4 verizon factory

We are all intelligent and some have access to both NC4 that have been rooted and factory NC4. Is there a way to see what changes are done that gives them good service as compared to the rooted one?

Is this something that a developer can find out?

Perhaps an advance setting...

thornev

Feb 3, 2012
Hudson Valley, NY
I bought mine from BB out of Contract because its a Company phone. When I first when to KK, never had issues. I in the last three weeks it went WAY South with alot of 3G and No Service. Today I went to BB since I have Geek Squad protection. WIthout asking the Assistant GM replaced my phone on the spot. It is on 4.3 and I will be ignore the updates. If I root can I block the Updates from repeatedly coming up?
You want to use Titanium Backup and freeze SDM.

rushless

Jan 16, 2008
4.3 is IMO the high point of Android and now it seems on a slow trend down into sucktatude. I made that word up, but fitting.

shawn1224

Feb 2, 2010
Same thing here. Pre Kitkat, the Note 3 was fine. Now my signal is horrible. My iPhone 5s has no problem grabbing LTE in a low signal area but not the Note 3.

---------- Post added at 06:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:25 AM ----------

If you are "locked" to Band 4 (the old AWS band at 1900Mhz now used for xlte data) then you will always lose signal strength indoors. 1,900 MHz signals are poor at getting inside buildings. Up until the KK update, band 4 wasn't enabled and all data went over the 700MHz band (Band 13) which is far better at working inside buildings.

If you are rooted and/or can get into service mode, you can turn Band 4 off.

Sent from my Note 3 via Tapatalk

Okay, so how do you switch band 4 off?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I tried everything as well and had no luck till I turned off the Band 4 AWS. I've been running it for a half day and see much better signals and my SMS go out right away.

Follow this, but instead disable the band.

Google search for "Enable Band 4 AWS note 4"
    I've been on the MJE radio. You can find the MJE modem tar in the Verizon Note 3 Android Development section, the post is by BeansTown106.

Regardless of what people say about modems and signal, etc.. NC2 and NC4 were subpar for me. MJE is stable and I get excellent signal and data speeds.
    I've had the same issue. I'm currently on JasmineROM1.5
    Here's what I did and it fixed the issue for me. Go to Settings/more settings/mobile networks/network mode. Mine said Global. Change it to what I have in the pic. Reboot. Mine is good to go now.
    utusapeq.jpg

Wassup? No not too late.... I turned on airplane mode just now.... the download had not finished.

follow the intructions in the OP here. that was bad info you got!

that keeps you on leaked NC2 bootloader so you can possibly enjoy very cool future development but get all the recent update advantages

---------- Post added at 10:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 AM ----------

even if you dont use that rom just replace Jasmine rom with whatever you are using but do those steps.
    I replaced my phone and now I have good reception.

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    How many hoops to jump through ? Contemplating getting it replaced , just worried about getting an NC4 phone after all the hassle.