Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,458 Members 47,412 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

VPN Client on the Fire TV

Tip us?

vyktym
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanfeust View Post
i tried to follow Rose Ab's idea
i found an old router with dd-wrt on it, i now have to networks: one local and one connected via vpn which has the AFTV on it.
it works great

Care to share how you configured the two networks? I'm thinking about doing the same thing, but can't find a reliable guide to do so.

I have two routers - both configured with dd-wrt. I find that when I plug my second router (w/vpn) into the first's LAN port, I can never get a connection to pass through. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lanfeust
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by vyktym View Post
Care to share how you configured the two networks? I'm thinking about doing the same thing, but can't find a reliable guide to do so.

I have two routers - both configured with dd-wrt. I find that when I plug my second router (w/vpn) into the first's LAN port, I can never get a connection to pass through. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
actually, i have one router for my "usefull" network wich is configured as a gateway (you can use your internet box too). The other is configured as a vpn connected client, connected on the first, making a network for devices that need to be connected to the USA. I use purevpn and they have good tutorials for tomato or ddwrt and other kind of routers.

I also have a NAS with two ethernet ports... each connected on a different network, so it can be available from the fire tv and my computer

vyktym
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanfeust View Post
actually, i have one router for my "usefull" network wich is configured as a gateway (you can use your internet box too). The other is configured as a vpn connected client, connected on the first, making a network for devices that need to be connected to the USA. I use purevpn and they have good tutorials for tomato or ddwrt and other kind of routers.

I also have a NAS with two ethernet ports... each connected on a different network, so it can be available from the fire tv and my computer
Thanks for clarifying. I think I got it working on my end by configuring the 2nd router to use the first router's IP address as the gateway and local DNS server. Still not my preferred option (waiting for the PIA android app to function by itself), but it will work for now. Cheers.

Vylle
Old
Thanks Meter 6
wouldnt it be better to just load up DDWRT on a router and configure your vpn from there?
VYLLE

Primary Phone: Google Nexus 5
ROM: xenonHD 4.4.2 20140331
Kernel: Faux
SD Layout: 32GB Class

Secondary Phone: Motorola Photon 4G

Next Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

The 4G's of a techie's life
|GAMES|=o=|GIRLS|=o=|GADGETS|=o=|GOLD|

mcsephoenix
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by macuser View Post
Tun.ko with droidvpn works.

Sent from my SM-G900F using XDA Free mobile app
Can you tell us a little more about how you got this working?

Thanks

macuser
Old
Thanks Meter 2
The best option avalaible is proxydroid.

Droidvpn is too slow.

Knowing this, if you still prefer using a vpn just let me know.

justin6162
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by macuser View Post
The best option avalaible is proxydroid.

Droidvpn is too slow.

Knowing this, if you still prefer using a vpn just let me know.
Can you explain the settings on the router side? I have dd-wrt

snappywan
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default OpenVPN running both natively and on router

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin6162 View Post
Can you explain the settings on the router side? I have dd-wrt
There is a thread on reddit that explains both using the OpenVPN client directly on FireTV or split-routing setup.

Here is the link to use the OpenVPN client natively on FireTV:
reddit.com/r/fireTV/comments/2b4hlh/finally_got_vpn_working/

Here is the link to use OpenVPN on the router and selectively route traffic over the tunnel for the FireTV:
reddit.com/r/fireTV/comments/2b4hlh/finally_got_vpn_working/cjwup38

I'm sure you can adapt the instructions to suit dd-wrt. And if you can't, maybe you should switch over to OpenWRT.

P.s. I'm a lurker so I cannot generate links until I've posted 10 times. Maybe a mod can do it, or someone else can repost it, or better yet, transcribe the instructions.
The Following User Says Thank You to snappywan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mcmsignup
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by snappywan View Post
There is a thread on reddit that explains both using the OpenVPN client directly on FireTV or split-routing setup.

Here is the link to use the OpenVPN client natively on FireTV:
reddit.com/r/fireTV/comments/2b4hlh/finally_got_vpn_working/

Here is the link to use OpenVPN on the router and selectively route traffic over the tunnel for the FireTV:
reddit.com/r/fireTV/comments/2b4hlh/finally_got_vpn_working/cjwup38

I'm sure you can adapt the instructions to suit dd-wrt. And if you can't, maybe you should switch over to OpenWRT.

P.s. I'm a lurker so I cannot generate links until I've posted 10 times. Maybe a mod can do it, or someone else can repost it, or better yet, transcribe the instructions.
I was able to get a split tunnel up and running on an ASUS RT-N66U router running Merlin Firmware. The VPN in Merlin is basically a port of OpenVPN in the tomato firmware implementation. The first step is to create the VPN tunnel and then you can setup the separate routes. For Private Internet Access (PIA). I used the following instructions to setup the tunnel:

https://www.privateinternetaccess.co...g-tomatousb/p1

Next I followed the instructions on this page for setting up a separate route for my FireTv. With this configuration my AFTV goes through the VPN tunnel and everything else goes through the normal Wan to my ISP. I followed the following instruction. Look at page 2 of the post for the instructions by WIZIN

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/forum...ighlight=split

This is tailored for ASUS routers, but the idea should not be too difficult to implement on and dd-wrt o tomato firmware.

For me this is a much cleaner solution than running something on the AFTV. It starts up and shuts down with the router, so I don' have worry about restarting it when I reboot on the AFTV or it using CPU and memory on the AFTV.