[Q] .tcookieid file....?

Search This thread

simes6600

Oct 22, 2011
just noticed today a file, .tcookieid (33 bytes in length, dated yesterday, opened file, about 30 characters of Hex), has appeared on my M8 in every folder on my SD card, and is also on the root dir. anyone know what it is?

whoamigriffiths

Oct 18, 2012
Behind You
Have you recently installed ifonts app?
I saw that I also had this file throughout my sdcard.
The only thing I can think of is that it has something to do with how ifonts deals with replacing and/or backing up your current Fonts.
I found your post after a google search about it. But there is not much info about it (that I can find)
It may be that everyone knows what these .tcookied files are and me and you are a pair of idiots lol.
But I figured I'd post just so you wouldn't feel on your own! :p
I'm gonna keep searching for answers and if I find anything I'll let you know.
All the best rich

simes6600

Oct 22, 2011
The only thing I can think of is that it has something to do with how ifonts deals with replacing and/or backing up your current Fonts.
I found your post after a google search about it. But there is not much info about it (that I can find)
It may be that everyone knows what these .tcookied files are and me and you are a pair of idiots lol.
All the best rich

there could have been an update to ifonts recently, in the past few days, cant really remember as i have so much stuff getting updated daily. but ifonts makes sense as to what is making this small file. its harmless anyway, just wondered why it was appearing. surprised no one else has picked up on it here on XDA (apart from ourselves)...

Reactions: whoamigriffiths

thesimpleboy

Oct 29, 2012
thesimpleboy.com
Hello there,

Even i stumbled upon this post from the Google keyword query, my SD card was displaying as being damaged, so i was closely examining the contents of my SD card and i found this newly created file.

It was only in the root path of the SD card, nowhere else.

Even i think that this file might have belonged to iFonts, i have uninstalled the app and removed the file after iFont messed up my factory font restoration pretty badly.

4Freedom

Jul 9, 2013
same here

On every folder on my sdcard appeared a file called .tcookieid with a strange code inside:eek:
I just installed some new application this afternoon, i am 100% sure that i hadnt it some hours ago.

If someone know what is the cause or what is this please let me know.
I cant find nothing on google

jeckyhauhnar

Mar 11, 2013
Just found it myself..delete some of it..i hope it doesnt affect my files.....curious?????:confused::confused:

Sent from my LG-D802

krashd

Aug 20, 2013
Dundee
www.mojeek.com
Well iFont has never even been near my device, I hadn't even heard of it until this thread. So either something else creates it too or it's nothing to do with iFont.

These little buggers are all over my SD card and internal storage.

S

SHM

find . -type f -name ".tcookieid" -exec rm -f {} \;

Not sure what it is. I found one website which gave information stating that it's recognized as a form of a Trojan virus that collects info and sends it somewhere. Can't verify that, however, if you want to remove them all then open up terminal, change directory to root of internal sdcard and copy paste the command above. Do the same for external sdcard as well.

I haven't seen them come back yet, but if it does, then best believe I have every intention of wiping my device out and restoring with a pure stock Rom.

EDIT: I noticed that it's not just the internal and external storage. Its everywhere on the device. However, I still have not seen it come back on my device since I have removed them.

Last edited:

yehezkel6666

Aug 27, 2015
same issue, not that alarming

I believe they are a direct link to a cookie on websites to keep track of your browser traffic, lots of websites use them, some more aggressively than others, I just delete them through 7zipper 2.0. If you stay on top of it, check once a week, it doesn't get too out of hand.
Read this article; type in your browser "what is a cookie?' And click the link, ".... All about cookies" I can't post links yet, sorry.
Correct me or add to if you find anything else

yehezkel6666

Aug 27, 2015
simes6600

just noticed today a file, .tcookieid (33 bytes in length, dated yesterday, opened file, about 30 characters of Hex), has appeared on my M8 in every folder on my SD card, and is also on the root dir. anyone know what it is?

It's more of a headache than a threat, its a file that allows websites to keep up with browsing history on websites to give suggestive sites on your mobile browser through their cookies. Read this article and put 2&2 together. Type in "All about cookies" in your browser, I can't post links yet, sorry. I just monitor my files closely and it doesn't get out of hand checking once a week, but that would depend on how much you surf and what sites you go to. Hope this helps!
Fill me in on any extra details

Juicemama

Aug 31, 2015
Well iFont has never even been near my device, I hadn't even heard of it until this thread. So either something else creates it too or it's nothing to do with iFont.

These little buggers are all over my SD card and internal storage.

Me too never had that app but many others have come and gone. I have this file and many others stored in "miscellaneousfolder" or whatever on my Samsung Galaxy s5. I'm going on a deleting spree and still the numbers don't add up and oddly enough the bar reflecting the slices of memory shows a larger, I believe more accurate, slice of free space than my phone is telling me. Ugh I'm just gonna get a bigger SD card it'll probably solve everything. :confused:

tombusby250

Apr 26, 2015
How do I remove .tcookieid files?

I also have this problem. The files are all over my internal SD card and I need to get rid of them. Are they dangerous files?

Last edited:

Sp1tfire

Apr 15, 2009
Bucharest
I'm pretty sure it is caused by games that offer all sorts of in-app free stuff if you watch videos and such. As the name suggests it's a tracking cookie.

Sent from my LG G3-D855

.tcookieid

I too have found this file, it came from xmodegame which i had install for clash of clan. I think the file contain some kind of ID, for further exchange of data, this app get root permision and voilate privacy by tranmiting other data too. I have install in rooted device, my suggetion to refresh the ROM. Rest phone works only with non rooted device with root and also granted root, my guggetion is that refersh your ROM asap. 5his is leach (worm).

mat7cet

Oct 27, 2015
It is a kind of permanent marking. For each directory, the file has the same contents. After installation Xposed with xprivacy and refusal to provide android id, my device has been so marked. It is best to install the new clean rom.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    All the best rich

there could have been an update to ifonts recently, in the past few days, cant really remember as i have so much stuff getting updated daily. but ifonts makes sense as to what is making this small file. its harmless anyway, just wondered why it was appearing. surprised no one else has picked up on it here on XDA (apart from ourselves)...