Mural Watchface Brings 500px to Android Wear

On a traditional watch, you can’t really do too much to change its appearance once … more

Android 5.0 Favorite Features, Release November 3rd? – XDA TV

Google Confirms Android 5.0 Lollipop for November 3rd! That and much more … more

Prepare Your Build Machines: Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn Now Official

Today is an important day for any and all Linux enthusiasts. One of the … more

Track the Time You Waste on Social Media with Socials Addict

When you use your phone, you often don’t even realize how much time you … more

The difference between "Official" and "Custom" device status was S-Health.

OP primetechv2

28th June 2014, 07:44 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Wisconsin
Thanks Meter: 143

376 posts
I was freaking out over being unable to get my S5 to show as "Official" in its device status (wanted to update, but was told I couldn't) .Out of paranoia, I copied over all my Downloads to my SD card and removed it, deleted any root apps and even cleaned it up using SuperSU. And I rebooted a lot. After I finished, I still saw

Device Status: Custom

Then, I remembered the S-Health bug. Since i like S-Health, I had switched it over recently from being a System app to being a User one (because S-Health on a rooted device was, well, broken). So I re-rooted with SuperSU, then re-opened Android Tuner Free and moved S-Health back from being a User app to being a System one again.

Device Status: Official

I didn't even have to unroot, remove the SU app, or reboot it; I just checked back in Settings and it was "fixed."
Last edited by primetechv2; 28th June 2014 at 07:49 PM.
28th June 2014, 08:50 PM   |  #2  
Flag Cali Baby
Thanks Meter: 11

411 posts
Donate to Me
More
Really and it have you official from what I know custom comes out because the phone is rooted anybody correct if im wrong

Sent from my SM-G900P
28th June 2014, 09:27 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Wisconsin

376 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by verse187

Really and it have you official from what I know custom comes out because the phone is rooted anybody correct if im wrong

Sent from my SM-G900P

Well, it looks like I spoke too soon. During my OTA update attempts, I had root and it showed as "Official" for a while. Then when I removed SuperSU fully (including the su binaries, making it unrooted), my next attempt to install the update proved futile.

Somehow, when I removed the su binaries with SuperSU, it re-registered my device as Custom. I don't know how, because SuperSU had been specifically told to not attempt to retain itself during OTA updates...
29th June 2014, 01:17 PM   |  #4  
RC-RT Committee / Senior Moderator / Spider-Mod
Flag Right behind you!
Thanks Meter: 26,596

28,413 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetechv2

Well, it looks like I spoke too soon. During my OTA update attempts, I had root and it showed as "Official" for a while. Then when I removed SuperSU fully (including the su binaries, making it unrooted), my next attempt to install the update proved futile.

Somehow, when I removed the su binaries with SuperSU, it re-registered my device as Custom. I don't know how, because SuperSU had been specifically told to not attempt to retain itself during OTA updates...

You did not reinstall stock recovery. You cannot get OTAs if you have a custom recovery still.
29th June 2014, 06:46 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Wisconsin

376 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyG123

You did not reinstall stock recovery. You cannot get OTAs if you have a custom recovery still.

I never actually installed a custom recovery, though. I did eventually reinstall the fully stock firmware with Kies and then performed the upgrade, something I'm going to guess wouldn't be possible otherwise... But to be specific, I never had anything installed except got XPosed mods and a moved S Health to get it functioning again.

But I'm really sad that, for whatever reason, my device status kept flickering between Official and Custom, especially when it chose Custom after I disabled root.
3rd August 2014, 01:35 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 24

110 posts
More
I just flashed the stock nd5 firmware through odin in mine and it still show's as ''custom''. Any ideas on how to get it to show ''official''?
3rd August 2014, 06:45 PM   |  #7  
Flag FunkyTown, TX
Thanks Meter: 3

20 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJou

I just flashed the stock nd5 firmware through odin in mine and it still show's as ''custom''. Any ideas on how to get it to show ''official''?

I ran into the same issue when trying to update OTA for WiFi calling. I wound up (before I had a chance to reset), changing the runtime back to Dalvik from ART, wound up working.
4th August 2014, 04:58 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 24

110 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by frcollier

I ran into the same issue when trying to update OTA for WiFi calling. I wound up (before I had a chance to reset), changing the runtime back to Dalvik from ART, wound up working.

It is on Dalvik though :/
1st September 2014, 04:14 AM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Wisconsin

376 posts
well, I did it again.
rooted: Official status
Installed XPosed: Official
Removed S-Health: Official
Reinstalled old S-Health as a user app: Official
Shifted S-Health to System app: Official
Removed XPosed: Custom

Anybody know what permissions SHealth and HealthService (.apk, .odex) should be reinstated with, and in which folder they go, I'd be really happy. Especially if someone got back to me before I downloaded this 1.5GB system file to figure out if it says.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread