Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,786,401 Members 44,910 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

The difference between "Official" and "Custom" device status was S-Health.

Tip us?

primetechv2
Old
(Last edited by primetechv2; 28th June 2014 at 07:49 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 143
Default The difference between "Official" and "Custom" device status was S-Health.

I was freaking out over being unable to get my S5 to show as "Official" in its device status (wanted to update, but was told I couldn't) .Out of paranoia, I copied over all my Downloads to my SD card and removed it, deleted any root apps and even cleaned it up using SuperSU. And I rebooted a lot. After I finished, I still saw

Device Status: Custom

Then, I remembered the S-Health bug. Since i like S-Health, I had switched it over recently from being a System app to being a User one (because S-Health on a rooted device was, well, broken). So I re-rooted with SuperSU, then re-opened Android Tuner Free and moved S-Health back from being a User app to being a System one again.

Device Status: Official

I didn't even have to unroot, remove the SU app, or reboot it; I just checked back in Settings and it was "fixed."

verse187
Old
Thanks Meter 11

DONATE TO ME
Really and it have you official from what I know custom comes out because the phone is rooted anybody correct if im wrong

Sent from my SM-G900P
If I Helped Just Hit The "Thanks" Button

primetechv2
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by verse187 View Post
Really and it have you official from what I know custom comes out because the phone is rooted anybody correct if im wrong

Sent from my SM-G900P
Well, it looks like I spoke too soon. During my OTA update attempts, I had root and it showed as "Official" for a while. Then when I removed SuperSU fully (including the su binaries, making it unrooted), my next attempt to install the update proved futile.

Somehow, when I removed the su binaries with SuperSU, it re-registered my device as Custom. I don't know how, because SuperSU had been specifically told to not attempt to retain itself during OTA updates...

KennyG123
Old
RC-RT Committee / Senior Moderator / Spider-Mod
Thanks Meter 26,007

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetechv2 View Post
Well, it looks like I spoke too soon. During my OTA update attempts, I had root and it showed as "Official" for a while. Then when I removed SuperSU fully (including the su binaries, making it unrooted), my next attempt to install the update proved futile.

Somehow, when I removed the su binaries with SuperSU, it re-registered my device as Custom. I don't know how, because SuperSU had been specifically told to not attempt to retain itself during OTA updates...
You did not reinstall stock recovery. You cannot get OTAs if you have a custom recovery still.

Moderator Directory - - - FORUM RULES - - - Support Autism Awareness here

primetechv2
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyG123 View Post
You did not reinstall stock recovery. You cannot get OTAs if you have a custom recovery still.
I never actually installed a custom recovery, though. I did eventually reinstall the fully stock firmware with Kies and then performed the upgrade, something I'm going to guess wouldn't be possible otherwise... But to be specific, I never had anything installed except got XPosed mods and a moved S Health to get it functioning again.

But I'm really sad that, for whatever reason, my device status kept flickering between Official and Custom, especially when it chose Custom after I disabled root.

BlackJou
Old
Thanks Meter 24
I just flashed the stock nd5 firmware through odin in mine and it still show's as ''custom''. Any ideas on how to get it to show ''official''?

frcollier
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJou View Post
I just flashed the stock nd5 firmware through odin in mine and it still show's as ''custom''. Any ideas on how to get it to show ''official''?
I ran into the same issue when trying to update OTA for WiFi calling. I wound up (before I had a chance to reset), changing the runtime back to Dalvik from ART, wound up working.
Samsung Galaxy S 5 (CDMA) <Samsung Galaxy Nexus (CDMA) < HTC EVO 4G < HTC Hero (CDMA) < BlackBerry 8530 < BlackBerry 8330

BlackJou
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by frcollier View Post
I ran into the same issue when trying to update OTA for WiFi calling. I wound up (before I had a chance to reset), changing the runtime back to Dalvik from ART, wound up working.
It is on Dalvik though :/

primetechv2
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 143
well, I did it again.
rooted: Official status
Installed XPosed: Official
Removed S-Health: Official
Reinstalled old S-Health as a user app: Official
Shifted S-Health to System app: Official
Removed XPosed: Custom

Anybody know what permissions SHealth and HealthService (.apk, .odex) should be reinstated with, and in which folder they go, I'd be really happy. Especially if someone got back to me before I downloaded this 1.5GB system file to figure out if it says.