Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,000 Members 47,020 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

My setup with Ubuntu and a custom permissive Kernel

Tip us?

aarstar
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Camera Camera?

Hey, thanks for the great kernel. It's working as expected to enable permissive mode, but I'm having one issue with it. When I use your kernel, the camera is disabled (says something like "Camera Failed"), and it won't work even when trying different software besides stock, like Google Camera. Anyway, clearing cache, etc. doesn't do anything, but the camera works again when I flash the stock kernel. Is this related to permissive mode or something else with the settings?

lickarock
Old
Thanks Meter 528

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarstar View Post
Hey, thanks for the great kernel. It's working as expected to enable permissive mode, but I'm having one issue with it. When I use your kernel, the camera is disabled (says something like "Camera Failed"), and it won't work even when trying different software besides stock, like Google Camera. Anyway, clearing cache, etc. doesn't do anything, but the camera works again when I flash the stock kernel. Is this related to permissive mode or something else with the settings?
The camera fails for me too. I dumped a logcat and isolated the issue here:

W/ActivityManager( 2746): Permission Denial: get/set setting for user asks to run as user -2 but is calling from user 0; this requires android.permission.INTERACT_ACROSS_USERS_FULL

V/ApplicationPolicy( 2746): isApplicationStateBlocked userId 0 pkgname com.google.android.GoogleCamera

But... the camera is not a huge deal. It did, however, break wifi. I did not get a logcat of that yet, but I would assume it is also a permission issue.

aarstar
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Wifi works for me using the fix mentioned in the OP. Also, thanks for looking into the camera issue. I agree it's not a big deal, and it's easily fixed by flashing the stock kernel, until someone figures out a proper fix.
The Following User Says Thank You to aarstar For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

lickarock
Old
Thanks Meter 528

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarstar View Post
Wifi works for me using the fix mentioned in the OP. Also, thanks for looking into the camera issue. I agree it's not a big deal, and it's easily fixed by flashing the stock kernel, until someone figures out a proper fix.
Wow, I totally missed that entire line in the OP... You literally just made my whole day. I fought this all day long, desperate to get ubuntu working. Thank you for pointing that out.

Stevethegreat
Old
Thanks Meter 107
I get "xt_mark.h" is missing (no such file or directory) error. Any idea why that may be?

I'm using the source for p900 international hoping that I may sidestep the camera issue that way (by enabling permissive to the international kernel I mean), but as it stands it does not compile.

I've googled it but until now it was/is to no avail...

ESmazter.
Old
(Last edited by ESmazter.; 26th August 2014 at 03:26 PM.)
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme H View Post
Hey everyone. I bought this device specifically because I do a lot of work on linux in command line world and I though it would be the perfect device when combined with the Logitech Pro keyboard and Complete Linux Installer (it's an app on Google Play).

Hey Graeme H,

we both have the same intention. I am downloading the international Kernel at the moment and will compile it again for you guys. The download takes a little longer as I am at vacations.

I am going this route: doviak.net/debian-kit/debian-kit_p00.html . In the future I would like to have arch linux running on this device but a customized debian would be okay for the beginning, too.

Eventually I will try to use framebuffer instead of vnc or something like that. I would love to use sublime-text and dwm on that device with that resolution

Good luck guys. I will try to update.

Edit: hehe I have dwm in front of me now and the resolution is so high that I am barely able to read

Compiled the kernel and flashed in on my device but my camera is still not working. Maybe we need to edit the config:
Quote:
# Camera sensor devices
#
# CONFIG_VIDEO_OV7670 is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_VS6624 is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_MT9M032 is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_MT9P031 is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_MT9T001 is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_MT9V011 is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_MT9V032 is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_TCM825X is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_SR030PC30 is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_NOON010PC30 is not set
CONFIG_VIDEO_S5K6B2=y
# CONFIG_S5K6B2_CSI_C is not set
CONFIG_S5K6B2_CSI_D=y
CONFIG_S5K6B2_POSITION_FRONT=y
# CONFIG_S5K6B2_POSITION_REAR is not set
CONFIG_VISION_MODE=y
# CONFIG_VIDEO_M5MOLS is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_S5K6AA is not set
The Following User Says Thank You to ESmazter. For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

smylion
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Rather than each people compiles its kernel, could someone put a link to download the international kernel compiled? I think this would allow more people to get this kernel. Thank
The Following User Says Thank You to smylion For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ESmazter.
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by smylion View Post
Rather than each people compiles its kernel, could someone put a link to download the international kernel compiled? I think this would allow more people to get this kernel. Thank
Compiled from Kitkat source. [ur#l]erhan.es/upload/sm-p900-permissive-intl.tar[/url] (odin)

smylion
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Thank you but the link does not work

ESmazter.
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by smylion View Post
Thank you but the link does not work

Sorry, it is erhan.es/upload/sm-p900-intl-permissive.tar

The Following User Says Thank You to ESmazter. For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]