Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,791 Members 47,264 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Nexus 7 dash installation - AC Power only?

Tip us?

Poi25
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 43
Default [Q] Nexus 7 dash installation - AC Power only?

Hey guys,

I've read through all the Nexus 7 dash install threads and I know this has been asked once before but not really answered. I didn't really think about this until today when I said to myself, "**** it's hot" upon entering my truck.

I moved to AZ to attend college. I was in San Diego, CA before so it wasn't really an issue. I installed a Nexus 7 in my dash last year. It's connected by microUSB charge cable to a cigarette lighter adapter that's soldered in. It's connected AUX for audio to a single din JVC unit behind the dash. I touch my phone to NFC to BT to the JVC unit for calling and wifi hotspot to the Nexus 7 for internet.

At first I had tasker sleep the tablet when the ignition was off. Problem was, if I went a period of time without driving (which I do), the battery would get low. Since most of my drives are short, it would never receive enough power to charge it sufficiently and would eventually die. Then I'd have to remove the tablet and charge at home and then reinstall it (annoying).

So I applied the “fastboot oem off-mode-charge 0” mod so the tablet powers on immediately when it receives AC power, and I have Tasker shut it down after a minute of no power. I realize it's probably not healthy for the battery to be charged to 100% always, but I don't care about the battery as I bought the Nexus 7 solely for my truck.

Lot's of writing, but that leads me to this question: Can I remove the Nexus 7 battery completely, and will it boot up as it's connected at the moment because of the “fastboot oem off-mode-charge 0” mod? I'm scared that the battery might explode in the 110F+ AZ summer heat.

blucmal
Old
Thanks Meter 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poi25 View Post
Hey guys,

I've read through all the Nexus 7 dash install threads and I know this has been asked once before but not really answered. I didn't really think about this until today when I said to myself, "**** it's hot" upon entering my truck.

I moved to AZ to attend college. I was in San Diego, CA before so it wasn't really an issue. I installed a Nexus 7 in my dash last year. It's connected by microUSB charge cable to a cigarette lighter adapter that's soldered in. It's connected AUX for audio to a single din JVC unit behind the dash. I touch my phone to NFC to BT to the JVC unit for calling and wifi hotspot to the Nexus 7 for internet.

At first I had tasker sleep the tablet when the ignition was off. Problem was, if I went a period of time without driving (which I do), the battery would get low. Since most of my drives are short, it would never receive enough power to charge it sufficiently and would eventually die. Then I'd have to remove the tablet and charge at home and then reinstall it (annoying).

So I applied the “fastboot oem off-mode-charge 0” mod so the tablet powers on immediately when it receives AC power, and I have Tasker shut it down after a minute of no power. I realize it's probably not healthy for the battery to be charged to 100% always, but I don't care about the battery as I bought the Nexus 7 solely for my truck.

Lot's of writing, but that leads me to this question: Can I remove the Nexus 7 battery completely, and will it boot up as it's connected at the moment because of the “fastboot oem off-mode-charge 0” mod? I'm scared that the battery might explode in the 110F+ AZ summer heat.
Did you end up with a solution to this in same boat with same concern about heat and the battery in the nexus.

Poi25
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucmal View Post
Did you end up with a solution to this in same boat with same concern about heat and the battery in the nexus.
Hey blucmal,

I ended up buying a quality heatshield for the front windshield of my truck that I put up every time I park. That pretty much got rid of the issue, and it's nowhere near too hot now that the tablet might explode. The old heatshield I was using was definitely ineffective.

I'm still using stock kernel, stock everything pretty much, and have Tasker shut down the tablet 30 seconds after I take the keys out of the ignition. The tablet boots up when I turn the truck on.

This works for me. I suggest investing in a quality heatshield before hacking away at your Nexus 7.
Tags
ac power, battery, dash install