5,815,061 Members 37,364 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[SOLVED] Anyone get Prime Music working under 8.4.3?

Tip us?

Dr. Drax
Old
(Last edited by Dr. Drax; 14th July 2014 at 01:37 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default [SOLVED] Anyone get Prime Music working under 8.4.3?

Update: I figured out a solution -- see message #4 below

I'd really like to get Amazon's new Prime Music service working on my 8.9" Fire HD. However, I'm currently on 8.4.3, and I don't want to upgrade to 8.4.9 since some people have reported difficulty rooting it.

Has anyone done this? I suspect that if I could just get my hands on the new version of com.amazon.mp3 for the Fire HD, I could get it to work. However, the version at the Google Play store doesn't work with the Kindle Fire.

Before I spend hours trying to get this work, I wanted to ask if anyone has already traversed this rat hole.

shalom629
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drax View Post
I'd really like to get Amazon's new Prime Music service working on my 8.9" Fire HD. However, I'm currently on 8.4.3, and I don't want to upgrade to 8.4.9 since some people have reported difficulty rooting it.

Has anyone done this? I suspect that if I could just get my hands on the new version of com.amazon.mp3 for the Fire HD, I could get it to work. However, the version at the Google Play store doesn't work with the Kindle Fire.

Before I spend hours trying to get this work, I wanted to ask if anyone has already traversed this rat hole.
I've also been wondering about this. Any luck getting it to work? Have you tried downloading the update from the Amazon website and taking the amazonmp3-unsigned.apk from there and putting it on the kindle? The update has a .bin extension but it's probably just a zip. I was able to open it in 7-zip and it looks an android update.zip file.

Dr. Drax
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalom629 View Post
I've also been wondering about this. Any luck getting it to work? Have you tried downloading the update from the Amazon website and taking the amazonmp3-unsigned.apk from there and putting it on the kindle? The update has a .bin extension but it's probably just a zip. I was able to open it in 7-zip and it looks an android update.zip file.
I did something similar: I got my hands on a Tate, updated it, and then pulled amazonmp3-unsigned.apk off of it. I uninstalled the existing system app on my Jem, verified that I couldn't go into music, and then installed the new APK.

Result: it doesn't provide Prime benefits, but does allow me to access the my non-Prime music. I don't know if that's because of some other necessary component, or because the new APK includes a check to see whether the Kindle has been rooted. I know that some of Amazon's Kindle software has incorporated such checks in the past.

Dr. Drax
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
I figured out a solution to get it working. I should have thought of it earlier.

I uninstalled the amazonmp3-unsigned.apk system app using ES File Explorer. I then used Google Play to install the new com.amazon.mp3 APK as a user app. Somehow I had gotten it stuck in my head that it would need to be a system app to work with the rest of the Kindle software. Duh.

It seems to work perfectly. I can access Prime music just fine, and it seamlessly connects to my Amazon account. The only downside is that the app from the Play store is designed for phones and locks the app into portrait mode, whereas the native Kindle version supports landscape. But, hey, that's a small price to pay.

rogerlig@gmail.com
Old
(Last edited by rogerlig@gmail.com; 1st September 2014 at 08:23 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Amazon is clearly checking to see if the tablet is still an unmodified Kindle Fire.

I tried loading Kindle Reader on a CM-upgraded KF, with no luck. Then, I used Build-Prop Editor to change the property 'name' to Asus, and the 'model' to Nexus 7. That's all it took for Kindle Reader (and my book account) to work properly.

Try that next time something 'Amazon' doesn't work as it should.