Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,814,481 Members 53,633 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

UPDATED 5-12-14 T-Mobile native wifi hotspot hack

Tip us?

waynestatemac
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Default 4.4.2 Tether Working - Not counting data toward tethering plan

Guys I just updated to 4.4.2 rooted using the D-Fuse method and have no problem with tethering or it counting tethered data as tethered data. NOTE: I have the unlimited mobile plan with 3 GB tethered data.

I updated android to 4.4.2 according to D-Fuse’s post, created a new APN with “dun” added to the APN type, lastly updated the settings.db file to have tether_dun_required set to 0.

I purchased the Fabio WIFI Tether Router app for another one of my phones so I tried this app with the above settings and it ran perfect! The tmobile app shows 0 MB of data used from my 3GB tethered allotment, while my regular data amount went up. Only thing I noticed is when I reboot the tether_dun_required is set back to 1 and I have to reset that to 0, but its not a big deal. I'll work on this soon but so far it was vary easy to use tethering with 4.4.2 compared to 4.2.2.

bbobarino
Old
Thanks Meter 230
Everything u done is done exaxctly the same on 4.2

Sent from my LG-D959 using Tapatalk
MAIN DEVICES M919 GALAXY S 4/LG D959 G FLEX/NEXUS 7 2ND GEN

PattyNYC
Old
(Last edited by PattyNYC; 18th May 2014 at 06:18 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynestatemac View Post
Guys I just updated to 4.4.2 rooted using the D-Fuse method and have no problem with tethering or it counting tethered data as tethered data. NOTE: I have the unlimited mobile plan with 3 GB tethered data.

I updated android to 4.4.2 according to D-Fuse’s post, created a new APN with “dun” added to the APN type, lastly updated the settings.db file to have tether_dun_required set to 0. just like bobarino said it's the same process

I purchased the Fabio WIFI Tether Router app for another one of my phones so I tried this app with the above settings and it ran perfect! The tmobile app shows 0 MB of data used from my 3GB tethered allotment, while my regular data amount went up. Only thing I noticed is when I reboot the tether_dun_required is set back to 1 and I have to reset that to 0, but its not a big deal. I'll work on this soon but so far it was vary easy to use tethering with 4.4.2 compared to 4.2.2.
i dont understand what you mean? just run that script at boot and it will automatically make that value "0" and then you are done. you should still try to hide the user agent though. just like bobarino said its the same process for kk
The Following User Says Thank You to PattyNYC For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

waynestatemac
Old
(Last edited by waynestatemac; 23rd May 2014 at 03:05 PM.)
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbobarino View Post
Everything u done is done exaxctly the same on 4.2

Sent from my LG-D959 using Tapatalk
Yes you're right but I was having issues trying this method with JB. The fabio tether would not run correctly, and would not start up a Wi-Fi signal. The programmer of the app even talks about issues with the flex in his description of the app and is working on it fixing it. However using the guide in post 1 and KK the fabio app works perfect and can tether great!

waynestatemac
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyNYC View Post
i dont understand what you mean? just run that script at boot and it will automatically make that value "0" and then you are done. you should still try to hide the user agent though. just like bobarino said its the same process for kk
PattyNYC,

Thanks for your post! I didn't notice the script to fix the tetherdun resetting issue. I just followed the guide and and tether dun is staying at 0 on reboot now! Thank you! I'm not as concerned with the user agent as I'm using a VPN on my computer and sending encrypted information.

-Mike

virgo09
Old
(Last edited by virgo09; 20th July 2014 at 10:17 AM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Default Facebook, google and dropbox not working

hi all, i did all what you all wrote in the post and i can access to internet but the facebook and goolge is not working...for google i need to change my user agent to get it work but for facebook i cant get it work!!! can someone help me?

pflatlyne
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyNYC View Post
After reading through the G2 forums I found this and it also worked for the T-mobile G Flex.http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...5&postcount=43 I couldn't get the other method posted here to work at all. All credit goes to xda member mrgodai. Follow the instructions in the link provided and a script will automatically change the value to 0 on boot. You will still need to change the user agent to something mobile or in my case Safari browser. This only allows you to go over your tethering limit. If you don't have unlimted data then this will only work until you reach your data cap.https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...ahfmg?hl=en-USAlso make sure to edit your APN scroll down to the bottom where it says APN protocol: and make sure it is IPv4 not IPv6 and add "dun" to the line for APN type: default,supl,mms,dun
Outdated method below
Prerequisites
1. Rooted T-mobile G Flex
2. SQlite Editor app($2.99) probably a free alternative out there
3. Hotspot Widget from Google Play
Instructions
1. Open SQlite Editor look in - /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db then click global scroll down to field "tether_dun_required" edit the original value set 1 and change it to 0.
Note: Every time the phone reboots the original value defaults back to 1 so you will need to change the value back to 0 every time the phone reboots.
2. Only enable tether through the widget that you downloaded earlier. For some reason if you use the official t-mobile widget it won't work.
3. I don't have a working G Flex to test but you may have to use UA spoofer for chrome and set the browser to safari or something mobile.
Ive found on my nexus 5 that it throttles windows traffic but not traffic from a linux laptop. It used to work fine on windows if I changed the useragent to something non windows. Not necessarily a mobile browser. I use firefox and change the useragent to the linux version. It stopped working a while ago. I now just use a VPN. It works fine when I vpn off the windows laptop. I think they are inspecting the packets for something specifically windows and they dont recognize the VPN stream. I did have it setup with cyanogen mod,but needed to go back stock.
WIth cyanogen mod,you can do a bit of google searching and find out how to set it up to tunnel over the VPN connected from the phone. In other words,phone connects to VPN and ALL traffic tunnels over that. it does not seem to work the stock kitkat from google. Im getting ready to build my own version. Im just going to rip any carrier stuff out completely. I dont need it. I want ALL traffic to go over unlimited internet,since I have no wifi,and I want that to allways run over the vpn.