Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,480 Members 53,525 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[ROOT] Saferoot: VZW SCH-I435 (& others), no Kingo, will NOT trip KNOX (0x0)

Tip us?

JolkyB
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Custom rom?

Okay, maybe someone can help me here. I am totally new to this phone and the only custom rom I have installed is cyanogenmod on my s3. I have the sch-i435, and I don't care at all about my warantee. How can I get a custom recovery and cyanogen or something similar, if at all? I can't seem to find any documentation anywhere.

postal302
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by JolkyB View Post
Okay, maybe someone can help me here. I am totally new to this phone and the only custom rom I have installed is cyanogenmod on my s3. I have the sch-i435, and I don't care at all about my warantee. How can I get a custom recovery and cyanogen or something similar, if at all? I can't seem to find any documentation anywhere.
Unfortunately with Knox the boot loader is locked down and trying to install a custom recovery will hard brick the phone.

You'll want to research safestrap to see if you can use that. I'm not familiar with it at all so I can't offer any advice on it but that would allow you to load custom roms. Otherwise if you just want root look into towelroot over in the S5 forums, that should work for all Verizon Samsung phones.

mielletseed
Old
Thanks Meter 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by postal302 View Post
Unfortunately with Knox the boot loader is locked down and trying to install a custom recovery will hard brick the phone.
Are you sure? As far as I know the KNOX boot loader will detect custom kernels or recoveries and trip the knox flag but not prevent you of installing any custom software ...

osvanberg
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mielletseed View Post
Are you sure? As far as I know the KNOX boot loader will detect custom kernels or recoveries and trip the knox flag but not prevent you of installing any custom software ...
Correct!

postal302
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by mielletseed View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by osvanberg View Post
Correct!
If I understand right (and correct me if I'm wrong) safestrap operates like an app in Android instead of overwriting your existing operating system. At a certain point in boot up the safestrap "app" takes over then creates a complete operating environment inside of the safestrap program. At that point you "boot" into a safestrap compatable recovery which then loads a safestrap compatable ROM. This essentially hijacks the android boot up, runs a complete (safestrap compatable) recovery and ROM and never finishes loading your stock software. All your existing stock bootloader, recovery and ROM are left untouched and existing on your phone.

postal302
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 36
Sorry, I just reread your question and realized I answered the wrong question. From what I understood, if the bootloader is locked a phone will get bricked by attempting to install a custom recovery. As far as I knew, phones loaded with Knox have a locked bootloader.

The i435 I have access to its my wife's so I don't get to play with it enough to know what works best.

mielletseed
Old
Thanks Meter 73
If the bl was locked you would not need knox flag...
You can install any ROM or recovery but this will be detected and your phone gets marked "for ever"

Tags
no knox, root, sch-i435, without kingo