Good for Enterprise (GFE) [03-7-2014] root workaround

Are you using SUPERSU or SUPERUSER?

• Total voters
Search This thread

McKayCR

Jun 18, 2012
Baltimore
my company has just started using this and it blocks me due to having rooted my phone,

I've been taking a look at the decompiled java smali code and the compliance checking routines look pretty straightforward. Almost too straightforward to be honest, All of the code is obfuscated but some parts of the compliance code stand out pretty clearly and it looks pretty simple to disable. Either the code is a dummy or there are further checks.

I've made an xposed module that attempts to disable the compliance checking.

If anyone wants to give it a try and report back that would be great.

I will try it myself in time but i cant keep contacting my IT department to get my account reinstated as it will raise suspicion

Update: I contacted my IT department this morning to get a new pin for GFE ive activated my account and so far its not detected that i have root on my phone.

I'm not successful, I got it installed include the latest 3.1 update. Good just crashes during "Retrieving Settings"

UPDATE: I need to learn to read... disregard. I'm up and running, however updating the Good did not work, I will have to remain on the version I download from this post.

Last edited:

akarol

Jun 16, 2010
Orlando
I'm not successful, I got it installed include the latest 3.1 update. Good just crashes during "Retrieving Settings"

UPDATE: I need to learn to read... disregard. I'm up and running, however updating the Good did not work, I will have to remain on the version I download from this post.

Same here. Really annoying considering I can't do UPDATE ALL on the PS anymore.

Sent from my One A0001 using Tapatalk

hawkeyejoe

Apr 18, 2012
Same for me as well. I've tried a hundred times and can never get the new version to work. It always gets stuck retrieving settings.

akarol

Jun 16, 2010
Orlando
Well. I just found out that Titanium Backup can detach the app from the PS. This removes the app from always trying to update.

gamita

Aug 31, 2008
my company has just started using this and it blocks me due to having rooted my phone,

I've been taking a look at the decompiled java smali code and the compliance checking routines look pretty straightforward. Almost too straightforward to be honest, All of the code is obfuscated but some parts of the compliance code stand out pretty clearly and it looks pretty simple to disable. Either the code is a dummy or there are further checks.

I will try it myself in time but i cant keep contacting my IT department to get my account reinstated as it will raise suspicion

Update: I contacted my IT department this morning to get a new pin for GFE ive activated my account and so far its not detected that i have root on my phone.

Hi, I just uninstall GFE , after that I Installed the Xposed Installer /then the GFE module block // After that I Installed GFE again but now in the Intallation process it doesn't pass the Retrieving Setting Step.. please help me

Regards,

akarol

Jun 16, 2010
Orlando
Hi, I just uninstall GFE , after that I Installed the Xposed Installer /then the GFE module block // After that I Installed GFE again but now in the Intallation process it doesn't pass the Retrieving Setting Step.. please help me

Regards,

You need to use version 2.4. Later versions don't work.

---------- Post added at 09:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 AM ----------

Never mind, Titanium shows it detached but marketplace is still asking me to update it.... I must be missing something.

Apparently we have to detach it after every reboot. Sigh

McKayCR

Jun 18, 2012
Baltimore
I was toying with the idea of a scheduled task in Titanium. It has the task of detaching, but it doesn't have "upon reboot" condition, only date and times.

akarol

Jun 16, 2010
Orlando
I wonder if Tasker can handle this for us. I'll look into it and report back.

akarol

Jun 16, 2010
Orlando
After some research I have found a solution! Here are the steps:

The only way to do this I've found so far is to :
* Download the gfe_3_4_0_315.apk
* Install ZipSigner from play store (FREE)
* Re-sign gfe_3_4_0_315.apk using ZipSigner by selecting the apk as the input and choosing a different name as the output (MAKE SURE TO CHANGE THE EXTENSION OF THE OUTPUT TO .apk) and selecting "testkey" as the Key/mode
* Uninstall the original app and install the re-signed Apk
* DONE!

Give this a try and let me know. If you're having difficulties, let me know and I can send you the re-signed apk that I created.

Reactions: stayley

pawlik76

Feb 27, 2009
I'm guessing no one has any ideas or wants to help out on this one. Good Connect is an app for Instant Messaging through Microsoft Lync/Communicator. I'm trying to duplicate or create the same scripts for it, as phantasm has for Good for Enterprise.

Did anyone have any luck with running Good Connect on a rooted phone?

Would be great to have a similar module for Xposed as for GPE... Happy to do testing :)

guims78

Oct 15, 2007
Good on Nubia Z7 mini

Hello,
i have a Nubia Z7mini, Rom 1.42, but still to be detected as Rooted.
SuperSU has to be updated when i run it, be installation doesn't succeed.

So as i can't be unrooted, i tried to hide root for Good.

I tried to use Connectbot but without success.
So i tried to use Script manager.
When i run "egdr", i got this message :
sh -e '/system/xbin/egdr'
/system/xbin/egdr[6] : basename : not found.

what's wrong ?

cruise350

Dec 11, 2007
Memphis, TN
2.6.0.363 is the new version of GFE is trying to update. Does anyone know if the current fix is working with the new version they are pushing today? It won't let me uncheck auto update so eventually it is going to come through.

Edit: I just let it update and the newest version fails the compliance check. I uninstalled and restored my TB backup and all is good. Whatever you do, don't let the 2.6 version install until an update to the exposed script is available.

Last edited:
Reactions: teckademic

jonsharky

Oct 22, 2006
I had no issue. Just updated the app via play store directly. No issue at all. Still works! Awesome!

Sent from my SM-G900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

dabrowsk

Nov 14, 2007
Warsaw
Samsung Galaxy S10 Lite
2.6.0.363 is the new version of GFE is trying to update. Does anyone know if the current fix is working with the new version they are pushing today? It won't let me uncheck auto update so eventually it is going to come through.

Edit: I just let it update and the newest version fails the compliance check. I uninstalled and restored my TB backup and all is good. Whatever you do, don't let the 2.6 version install until an update to the exposed script is available.

+1 :(

hkfriends

Aug 24, 2007

after restore from TB backup, it can open but unable to get new mail

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This IS working for 4.3+ using xposed module.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=49878296&postcount=679

All credit goes to Phantasm4489. I am only adding the the OP so people can find it.

Below can be used for anything below 4.2 but I still think the xposed module above is better.

Standard Disclaimer:
    **************************************************************************************************************
    I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOU BEING FIRED BY CIRCUMVENTING THE POLICY YOUR IT STAFF HAS PUT IN PLACE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR BRICKING YOUR PHONE (ALTHOUGH SERIOUSLY DOUBT IT COULD POSSIBLY DO THAT). I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE WHAT SO EVER. THIS IS FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY!! ;)
    **************************************************************************************************************

First off:
    THANKS to sparky for the 'su' binary I use in my newer scripts.
    THANKS to chainfire for the 'su' binary I use in my older scripts.
    THANKS to Fallon for helping fine tuning the directions.

This thread is dedicated to using GFE on rooted devices. My intent is to understand root detection schemes for my own personal education. If the information here is beneficial to others, then that is a plus.

I came up with a process that satisfies both GFE and its use on rooted (technically temp unrooted) devices. Basically unrooting and rerooting the phone so that the GFE app functions and I comply with not running GFE on a rooted phone. .

Tested on CM9 and CM10 for the Epic 4 Touch and the Galaxy S3. I've seen success on other ROMS as well. If you run into issues, i'd be happy to help and improve the process.

What GOOD(GFE) detects and what it doesn't care about

Some key notes about what GFE seems to detect:
    • Detects 'su' anyplace on the phone /system partition (usually located in /system/bin/su or /system/xbin/su).
    • Detects the superuser apk and supersu apk
    • Detects if you have su'd in adb or shell while it is running. Close adb and log out of and shells before launch!
    • If you use a root tool like titanium, reboot before launching good! Titanium will sometimes leave open rooted processes running.
    • In pre-JB, it could use the READ_LOGS android permission to comb the system logs and find 'root like 'activity'. In JB, that 'security hole' is closed and that permission is locked down by android.
    • It detects if /system is RW.
    • The software is setup to never be shutdown. Once its started, it runs no matter what. Preventing it from starting is a good thing IMHO.
    • Seems that for some unknown reason, if es explorer was run in root mode at any point before running good, it detects root. Even if I manually kill all the back ground processes before unfreezing/launching Good.
    • Sometimes I get a compliance failed when I was working in ADB prior to running good. Typically if I was in ADB doing root work, i'll reboot the ROM before enabling good.
    • Turn off 'automatic update' for super user app from market

What GFE does not seem to care about:
    • busybox
    • CWM
    • locked/unlocked bootloaders

Here is how to make root and GFE play as nice as possible. This isn't perfect but it works pretty good. I still get the 'compliance failed' once in a while when i do something dumb. I am lucky in that I can clear data on the GFE app and reuse the prior key or request a new key from our IT system on demand. If you cannot do this easily, then this may be cumbersome. As we further progress this, we should get less and less lockouts.

SCRIPTED PROCESS

Downloads:
    • Something to run the scripts One of these will do:
      - Connectbot or any shell execution program from play store. connectbot has widgets. I use connectbot....
      - Script Manager found here: http://db.tt/Vonx78NI . Or playstore.​
    • (required for PRE-JB roms only). Install Permissions Denied from the Market
    • The latest cwm/twrp flashable zip attached to this OP.
    • An installation of busybox. Typically comes with CM and lots of other ROMs but just making the point here that it is required.

Setup app and dependencies:
    1. Flash the gfe_workaround_setup zip attached to this OP in CWM. This will create four scripts and a "backdoor" su binary. They are as follows:
      • /system/xbin/dger
      • /system/xbin/egdr
      • /system/xbin/fu. (The sparkysu binary is insecure so be careful out there! Just a disclaimer)
      • /system/xbin/r_dger
      • /system/xbin/r_egdr
    2. Install Good Application
    3. If pre-JB (NOT REQUIRED ON JB+), open Permissions Denied and disable the READ_LOGS permission for the Good Application. Immediately after disabling that permission reboot the device from within the Permissions Denied app (in the menu). It must be done from within the application immediately after toggling the permissions to denied.
    4. Optional but recommended: use "autostarts app" (or similar) from market to turn off all autostarting flags for Good app. This is incase you forget to disable root before you reboot and dont want it to start after again after flashing a rom which would restore root..
    5. Use Connectbot or old script manager to execute the enable/disable scripts.

HOW TO Use the scripts and run the Good.
    These scripts will basically temp unroot your phone and disable the superuser user whenever you want to run good. It will reverse the operation whenever you want to return root and lockup good.
    • I typically leave good disabled unless I am using it but that is up to you.
    • Whenever you want to 'run good'. You will run the script egdr.
    • Whenever you want to disable good and return root to your phone run dger (prior to reboot for example or flashing roms or whatever)
    • DO NOT FORGET TO run the DGER script before flashing a rom since that rom will repush superuser and su and if good was enabled when you shutdown to reflash the rom, good will detect root and deactivate the handheld. Also since I disable the superuser user entirely when you flash the new rom, you will lose root and will need to enable the superuser user and reflash the rom to fix things... You can always just fix it with adb but renabling superuser... But that is a pain.
    • (pre-JB only) Permissions Denied takes FOREVER to startup, several minutes at least & you repeatidly see it getting root permissions, at first I thought it was having issues but that is how it works.
    • No need to "Lock Permissions" within the Permissions Denied app from what I've seen but ymmv
    • Under the ROM Developer Options "Root access" is irrelevant, GFE is working just fine with it set to "Apps and ADB right now"
    • GFE will work fine by wiping app data & initilizing it with a new PIN if you get things cleaned up after a policy violation
    • No need to get an unlock code from your sysadmins after a policy violation, just wipe app data for GFE & get a new PIN (assuming you have access to a website to request a new PIN

A mini-how to for connectbot:

I prefer this because connectbot is a simple tool and I like to keep it simple. But you may prefer the script manager interface instead.
    With connectbot, you can create 2 'local' connections. One for each of the enable/disable scripts appropriately named. You can edit each of the local connections and setup 'post-login automation'. In the post-login automation you add the following (Note that <enter> means to put a line feed... i.e. hit enter :) ):
    Code:
    /system/xbin/dger;exit
    <enter>
    Code:
    /system/xbin/egdr;exit
    <enter>
    You can either open connectbot each time and run the enable or disable scripts or you can add connectbot shortcuts to each local connection on your launcher's desktop. Its under 'add shortcut' you will see connectbot. :)

If you, like me, get annoyed by the notification icon from connectbot, you can optionally do these steps to execute it.
    In the connectbot options, disable persistence. Also you can replace the ';exit' in the post automation commands with ';kill $PPID' and that will get you very close a self closing command. That will terminate the shell session you are in. When disabling GFE you'll still have to hit the back button but when enabling GFE it wont stay in your notification bar.

Example:

Code:
    /system/xbin/dger;kill $PPID
    <enter>

The negative is that if there was an issue, you wont see the log. I may add logging support in the scripts so that we can go back and look easier anyway at what failed if we get a lock out. If you ever needed to debug though just remove that temporarily and you'll see the log again.

If you wanted a few seconds to review the log, you could do something like this also:
    Code:
    /system/xbin/dger;[COLOR="Red"]sleep 5[/COLOR];kill $PPID
    <enter>

A mini-how to for script manager:

In script manager you will add the scripts into script manager and execute them via the app or it's widgets. The scripts should NOT be setup to run as superuser but they still will prompt for super user when the disable one is actually executed and you should respond GRANT to that request. You will use the app to find the scripts in /system/xbin chosing the following:
    Code:
    /system/xbin/dger
    Code:
    /system/xbin/egdr

FAQ

Q: If I am going to dirty flash a new rom (no data wipe), What do I need to do to keep GOOD in compliance?
    A: IT'S LIKE DANCING AROUND A LAND MINE! You will want to follow this process before and after flashing dirty:
    1. Run dger to return root to your device and disable GOOD
    2. Reboot into cwm
    3. Flash rom and do any other rom specific instructions including any reboots or whatever the rom maintainer wants you to do.
    4. Reflash the gfe_workaround zip from the op since flashing the rom overwrites it.
    5. Boot into the rom and set it up as you like with root...
    6. Run disable good enable root.sh to make sure things are well after rom flash.
    7. reboot one last time
    8. use scripts as normal

Q: If I am going to clean flash a new rom (wipe data), What do I need to do to keep GOOD in compliance?
    A: Clean Flashing will require you to restore the good app or jsut reactivate it. You can likely avoid reactivation by following this. YMMV
    1. Run dger to return root to your device and disable GOOD
    2. Use Titanium Backup (or similar like carbon) to backup the GOOD app and data.
    3. Reboot into cwm
    4. Flash rom and do any other rom specific instructions including any reboots, wiping data/system or whatever\ the rom maintener wants you to do.
    5. Reflash the gfe_workaround zip from the op since flashing the rom overwrites it.
    6. Boot into the rom and set it up as you like with root...
    7. Restore GOOD with Titanium. You may need to also restore your android ID with titanium as I am not sure if it hashes that ID with activation credentials.
    8. Immediately run dger BEFORE REBOOTING to make sure things are well after rom flash.
    9. Ensure you redisable any permissions denied things and autostarts.
    10. reboot one last time
    11. use scripts as normal

DEBUGGING PROCESS

So you've experienced a policy break/lockout? Now what?? :) This is how you can debug and give me what I need to help you if required:

1. flash newest scripts in OP and boot up and let it settle.
    2. run the disable good script.
    3. run enable good script.
    4. run disable good script again.

That will create log files in /sdcard/ with the same names as the scripts. You can review those or submit them to me in this thread and I can look. I will also need the following. I review these files to see if there are any 'other' superuser or supersu apks that my scripts have missed. I will need the /sdcard/gfe.txt after you run the below to assist posted in the thread.

Run the following commands in a connectbot shell after above:
    Code:
    Code:
    su
    find /system/app /data/app /system/bin /system/xbin|sort > /sdcard/gfe.txt
    pm list packages >> /sdcard/gfe.txt

Then give me these following logs:
    /sdcard/gfe.txt
    /sdcard/egdr.......log
    /sdcard/dger.......log

Some of the most common reasons for lockouts are because of the running of certain root apps prior to enabling good. Certain root apps still retain root access after you close them. Notably es explorer and titanium. I'm sure there are others but this is two that I know of. If you use those tools either disable root access in them if applicable or reboot before running good after using them.

Change log

04-20-2013 (v16):
    Renamed scripts and binary

04-03-2013 (v16):
    Added "script complete" messages to output.

04-02-2013 (v15):
    Added command line option to turn off auto-launch of GFE. The default will remain to auto-launch it.

04-01-2013 (v14):
    Went back to sparky su as other su is causing too many anomolies.
    FAQ added to OP.

02-26-2013 (v13):
    Removed execution speed enhancement introduced in v11 as it caused some issues.

02-22-2013 (v12):
    Further improved Logging to sdcards
    Added some enhancements and termination of some root apps(titanium)

02-14-2013 (v11):
    Improved script execution speed by parallelizing some operations
    Added logging to /sdcard if available

02-04-2013 (v10):
    Changed the way I handled superuser apps (or multiples) stored in data and system.
    Added ability to handle chainfire's nonag apk in addition to regular supersu.
    Started using supersu's su for a more secure setup.
    Revamped directions and cleared up some errors in the OP.

01-29-2013 (v9):
    added new mask for apk
    added error handling for mounts incase.

01-25-2013 (v8):
    reversed order of hiding apks between system/data to resolve
    issue of supersu/superuser "forgetting" settings when rerooting.

12-18-2012 (v6):
    added supersu support
    fixed left over apks from super app upgrades

12-14-2012 (v3):
    Added clean exit commands.

12-13-2012 (v2):
    - Discovery that new script manager may cause compliance issues and doesn't work after temp unrooting!

12-12-2012 (v1):
    - Fixed bugs
    - Automated variables
    - Created flashable setup script
    - Simplified the install process

12-10-2012 ():
    - Initial design

the updated module shouldn't be too much longer now. I've got something that seems to work - just doing some final testing now before release.

thanks to all who offered to help and especially those who I actually did contact for help with the testing.
    here is a patched copy of gfe client 2.7 that should work fully in conjunction with the Xposed module.

Ideally i would have liked to be able to implement this as either

a) a fully cracked apk

or

b) an Xposed module that fully bypasses all of the security.

So far i have not managed to achieve either of these so we are stuck with this less than ideal solution.

The Xposed module posted a few pages back will bypass the root checking but the app will still detect the presence of the xposed framework as a completely separate check. The attached apk has the checks for the Xposed framework disabled. I had to modify some of the native libraries and resign the apk so you wont be able to install it over the top of the existing application but you can backup the existing installation using titanium and then uninstall. Once you have installed the attached apk you can restore the data only from the backup and you should be good to go.

Let me know how you get on.

Admin Note: We removed the Good for Enterprise APK due to DMCA complaint: https://github.com/xda/Notices/blob/master/2014/Good-2014-10-13.md Do not re-upload this APK as it is protected by copyright. Thank you.
    prior apk version