Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,279 Members 52,133 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Unlocked Tmobile Samsung Galaxy S5

Tip us?

T33H00
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Default Unlocked Tmobile Samsung Galaxy S5

I bought a Galaxy S5 (Tmobile) and Unlocked it, flash new ROM. if for some reasons, Tmobile blocked the IMEI, am I still able to use it because its unlocked?
Im asking this because I bought it off from Craiglists.

Richcar
Old
Thanks Meter 187
I am just curious why would t-mobile block the ime.

Sent from my SM-G900T using XDA Free mobile app

T33H00
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
i afraid they may in the future because of someone not making payment

risestar2
Old
Thanks Meter 13
If you didn't pay for the device and they blacklisted the IMEI, you will not likely be able to use it on either AT&T or T-Mobile as they have been said to share blacklist databases. You will likely only be able to use it internationally. Unlocking it doesn't matter, if it is blacklisted, it wont register on the network and you wont be able to use it.

gibrannz
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by risestar2 View Post
If you didn't pay for the device and they blacklisted the IMEI, you will not likely be able to use it on either AT&T or T-Mobile as they have been said to share blacklist databases. You will likely only be able to use it internationally. Unlocking it doesn't matter, if it is blacklisted, it wont register on the network and you wont be able to use it.
of course you can use a blacklisted t-mobile phone on at&t network without any problems. just unlock it, insert your sim card and there. i have personally used them on at&t.

luisbmx7
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default What Rom Did You Flash To Unlock SGS5 Tmobile?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T33H00 View Post
I bought a Galaxy S5 (Tmobile) and Unlocked it, flash new ROM. if for some reasons, Tmobile blocked the IMEI, am I still able to use it because its unlocked?

What Rom Did You Flash To Unlock SGS5 Tmobile?

fffft
Old
(Last edited by fffft; 4th September 2014 at 12:00 AM.)
Thanks Meter 409
I am loathe to help you because you are talking about a stolen or fraudulently sold phone. And whether you were scammed or complicit in the fraud, it remains that the phone is stolen and helping anyone use a stolen phone spurs an ongoing demand for stolen phones.

I'll just say that TMB blacklisting the IMEI ought to prevent you from using the phone on another carrier. However, TMB is well known for being erratic in sharing their blacklist with other carriers. So provided that your phone is not re-activation OR SIM locked, you can probably use the handset on another carrier. For the moment anyway.

TMB has been promising lately to clean up their act in this regard and start sharing their blacklist with other carriers. So while you might be able to use that stolen handset today, it will stop working in two months, four months or whatever date TMB actually starts sharing their blacklist with other carriers.

elesbb
Old
Thanks Meter 4,366

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by T33H00 View Post
Short answer: No you cannot.

Long answer:

As I believe a T-Mobile and ATT "contract" (not really a contract, more so an agreement) established a more global blacklist.. well, list, prevents the use on other networks. This is a new policy that has been created.

I even recall an instance where a Verizon S4 (most of Verizon's phone have both CDMA and GSM hardware) would not be allowed on T-Mobile's network.

However, brighter side of things, you could try Swappa.com to sell it as a blocked IMEI phone (i believe they are still usable overseas)

Or, what I would do, part the phone out and sell each part, you will probably get more for it. Screen display's aren't cheap, especially the entire digitizer and LCD still glued together.

For future purchases over Craigslist, ensure the transaction happens inside a T-Mobile store. They can transfer the phone serial and such to your account leaving the previous account holder phoneless. This also ensures that the phone is truly paid off in full. If the phone gets reported lost/stolen, you have proof that it was legally sold to you and not stolen.